Thread: Installed video card, wrecked x-windows

Hybrid View

Beans

Installed video card, wrecked x-windows

After installing a video card to replace the on-board graphics, then replacing the drivers, my desktop doesn't function anymore. The mouse pointer will move around, but I can't click on anything. The launcher doesn't move up and down for the mouse, and the "top bar" (I forgot the name at this moment), doesn't have any info or titles (time, power button, volume, etc). I can switch vt into a console and use the system that way, but the x-windows system is hosed.

The original on-board graphics chip (GeForce 6150) was replaced with a Radeon HD 4350 chipset card (pci). I went through the process of installing the proprietary ATI drivers, using the downloaded binary from AMD, added required software to compile the drivers. I ripped out the nvidia drivers, reinstalled many times, including trying the open source Radeon driver, the Ubuntu repository's proprietary drivers, etc. Lots of different things. The system only boots up into a frozen x-windows desktop (Unity) with a moving mouse pointer, no matter what I've tried. I've toyed with the idea of reinstalling Ubuntu, but didn't think I should have to do that.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Installed video card, wrecked x-windows

There is no need to go through the painful and often fatal process of installing from the ATI binaries. The 12.4 driver is in the repos.

Did you first uninstall the NVIDIA driver? If not, you need to uninstall the other driver before you install the new in the future. You also need to be sure you set your BIOS to use the dedicated card.

Try uninstalling per ATI's instructions and installing via Additional Drivers. If that doesn't work, see the link in my signature.
    Last edited by QIII; June 21st, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I didn't uninstall the nvidia drivers at first, but unintalled them later. The main problem now is that there is no access to the x-windows desktop, so graphical applications are not usable.

If you know what needs to be done through the command line, then I can try it. Right now, I've got the open-source drivers installed but I still have a locked up desktop.

What I probably need is the set of packages to reinstall that will bring up the desktop in working order. If anyone has that, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try to run:
    Code:
    unity --reset
    Ignore all the errors that might appear on the terminal. Do not close the terminal after is done, just logout or reboot.

Beans

I finally got it running, after reinstalling all of unity and compiz. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...20&postcount=4

BTW, "unity --reset" would hang the computer, so that wasn't going anywhere.

Everything seems to work now, although much slower than when I was using the on-board graphics chip. Hopefully I can tune it to work faster.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aceprry View Post
    Hopefully I can tune it to work faster.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    From an old post of mine:

Try this simple fix, worked for me (I have the compiz idle effect too, but it's not related to the choppy I think... at least not that much !).

- Install fglrx driver (stock driver is choppy...)
    - Open AMD Catalyst (after reboot !)
    - Enable "tear free" desktop option
    - Open compiz config
    - OpenGL plugin, untick Sync to VBlank, Texture = BEST, Lighting effect ON
    - Composite plugin, Detect refresh rate unticked, set the refresh rate at double your video frequency (in my case 60 Hz, I set it to 120)
    - Close compiz
    - Log off

Please give me a feedback on this procedure, as it worked for me since 10.04 till 12.04, seems quite consolidated.

Be careful not to touch anything else in those OpenGL and Composite plugins !