After installing a video card to replace the on-board graphics, then replacing the drivers, my desktop doesn't function anymore. The mouse pointer will move around, but I can't click on anything. The launcher doesn't move up and down for the mouse, and the "top bar" (I forgot the name at this moment), doesn't have any info or titles (time, power button, volume, etc). I can switch vt into a console and use the system that way, but the x-windows system is hosed.

The original on-board graphics chip (GeForce 6150) was replaced with a Radeon HD 4350 chipset card (pci). I went through the process of installing the proprietary ATI drivers, using the downloaded binary from AMD, added required software to compile the drivers. I ripped out the nvidia drivers, reinstalled many times, including trying the open source Radeon driver, the Ubuntu repository's proprietary drivers, etc. Lots of different things. The system only boots up into a frozen x-windows desktop (Unity) with a moving mouse pointer, no matter what I've tried. I've toyed with the idea of reinstalling Ubuntu, but didn't think I should have to do that.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks