Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gnome3 freezes at startup

Beans

gnome3 freezes at startup

i installed gnome3 recently , along with cairo dock ,

now gnome sometimes freezes at the startup , the mouse pointer is moving , but nothing gives response , not the panel or cairo dock ,

i have a Dell N5110 , with intel and nvidia graphic cards , and bumblebee installed , so the nvidia card is disabled by default.

any ideas what can be the source of the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: gnome3 freezes at startup

All the Ubuntu desktop shells run on top of Gnome 3 in 12.04. Are you referring to the Gnome Shell or Classic ?
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

yes , it's gnome shell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Cairo Dock has open GL and the normal session. I have used it with a Nvidia graphics without card but know little about bumblebee.

I would suggest using the normal session and wait for a user that knows more about bumblebee.

I have not installed a dock with the Gnome Shell but have used the Cairo Dock stand alone desktop session with 12.04 without any problem.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Think I have the same problem. I installed the Gnome 3 shell on top of a new installation of Ubuntu 12.04. At startup, mouse moves but no windows open (when I hit activities, etc). Have to hit the reset button. This seems to happen randomly. Usually resetting will get me in. BTW, really like the Gnome shell. . .more polished look and feel than unity. DJ

Beans

same problem here tried different nvidia drivers + different kernels. gnome 3.4.1 randomly freezes. Ubuntu Devs can you shed some light on this issue ? It's been a while since ubuntu 12.04 came out and all I see is some lame updates in the update manager. I thought it was LTS release for crying out loud.

Beans

I have the same problem. When logging into the Gnome 3 desktop shell; the session seems to freeze, except the pointer will move.

I think I read a post somewhere that claimed it had to do with some other service not being ready in time and so it would wait infinitely in the middle of starting up.

BUT I have found a better way to deal with it than restarting the computer. In my 12.04 installation, anyway:

ctrl+alt+f4 (or f1,2,3,etc...) into another terminal.

Then execute "sudo service lightdm restart".

This allows me to avoid an actual reset of the machine.

When the lightdm service restarts it will actually switch my session back to tty7, which is where the desktop session usually resides on my machine. So, you still have to go back to the other tty (ctrl+alt+f4 or f1,2,3...), and "exit" out of it sometime before you shutdown your machine.

Hope that helps somebody.

Beans

I've also been having the same problem. Gnome Shell freezes and only the mouse pointer is active, nothing else loads. If I login in as soon as lightdm loads, the system freezes. If I wait a few seconds after lightdm loads, before logging in, Gnome Shell doesn't freeze and everything works fine.
    Last edited by bluheron1; September 5th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Beans

well I still get lockups even with gnome shell 3.4.2. so far didn't find any solution. somebody please help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast