Thread: Video Download Experiment ends in no Graphics

Beans

Video Download Experiment ends in no Graphics

Running Ubuntu 12.04 Ppc on an eMac G4, 1-GHZ, 1-GB Ram, Bus Speed 133 MZ, 1024 x 768 resolution (my wife’s computer).

While I’m very happy with downloading Youtube videos via the Video Download Helper add-on for Firefox, I’ve been trying to figure out a way to download videos from news sites and other sources where Download Helper won’t work. Last night I was experimenting with installing various things I hoped would work, then uninstalling them if they didn’t. I tried “winff” which was a large package with a lot of dependencies, it didn’t work, and I uninstalled it. After that, I had no graphics on my Mozilla / Ubuntu Start Page, nor on any website I went to. Everything works except the graphic images don’t show. Is there something I can do to reset this? If I just uninstall and reinstall Firefox would that work? Thanks.
    "Discovery begins when you throw away the instruction manual!"

Beans

Re: Video Download Experiment ends in no Graphics

I finally figured it out and as usual, it was due to my own stupidity. I had installed a Mozilla add-on that allowed me to toggle Java Script off and on. In playing around with this, I had inadvertently turned it off and then minimized the tool bar so it wasn’t visible and staring me in the face. I had to scratch my head over this for a long time before I figured it out, but I did. I have met the enemy and he is me.
    "Discovery begins when you throw away the instruction manual!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Video Download Experiment ends in no Graphics

I have met the enemy and he is me.
    Haha, stealing this quote. Be sure mark this solved in the thread tools menu.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"