Thread: Researcher: CIA, NSA may have infiltrated Microsoft to write malware

Beans

Exclamation Researcher: CIA, NSA may have infiltrated Microsoft to write malware

The effort, involving the National Security Agency, the CIA and Israel’s military, has included the use of destructive software such as the Stuxnet virus to cause malfunctions in Iran’s nuclear-enrichment equipment.

The emerging details about Flame provide new clues to what is thought to be the first sustained campaign of cyber-sabotage against an adversary of the United States.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...PoV_story.html

Nevertheless, according to Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer of antivirus and security software vendor F-Secure, the scenario that would make it simplest for programmers employed by U.S. intelligence agencies to create the Stuxnet, Duqu and Flame viruses and compromise Microsoft protocols to the extent they could disguise downloads to Flame as patches through Windows Update is that Microsoft has been infiltrated by members of the U.S. intelligence community.
    http://www.itworld.com/security/2815...trated-nsa-cia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Researcher: CIA, NSA may have infiltrated Microsoft to write malware

Makes sense. Having assets inside a big globally-deployed company like that could be very useful for an intelligence agency.

Beans

I see no need to infiltrate MS as they already supply the source code to several gov departments, they even give it to the Russian FSB (former KGB)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government...s-new-kgb/9191

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Writing Stuxnet and Flame can probably be done without the active help of Microsoft, but it's hard to believe that the payload can be masked and distributed as an update without Microsoft's knowledge and cooperation.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Issue known for some time now...
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSA+key
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sounds to me like they are just writing something to be writing it and then giving it a sensational headline to drive up hits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I see no need to infiltrate MS as they already supply the source code to several gov departments, they even give it to the Russian FSB (former KGB)
    Sure, but there's more to life than source code. I'm sure MS are sitting on a ton of zero-days and have access to security certificates, etc. Lots of useful things a person on the inside could tell you about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wirepuller134 View Post
    Sounds to me like they are just writing something to be writing it and then giving it a sensational headline to drive up hits.
    Where there is 'smoke' , there is 'fire' :
    The FBI is investigating who spilled national security secrets, this time about Stuxnet and the classified cyberattack program the U.S. launched against Iran nuclear facilities. Senator Feinstein has called for Capitol Hill hearings into the leak since 'disclosures of this type endanger American lives and undermine America's national security.'
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/80765

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I still just see smoke here no direct facts, even after looking at the senators pages and statements. It's easy to assume and fill in the blanks. People need to make up their minds. Either the NSA and such departments are fantast cyber warriors so to speak or they are incapable of securing a thing much less launch an attack at this level.