Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Malware

So I somehow got this malware. I am using google chrome-stable. When I use chrome any page I go to after a few seconds this page comes up. So I went to firefox to look it up. I found out it is a hijacker for your web broswer. I have not found anywhere of how to get rid of this. I have included a screenshot of the message I get. Please Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: Malware

It's not an indication that you have malware rather it is warning you that that site may have a malicious script. As long as you backed out of it you needn't worry. I assume that you clicked on Go Back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by asmolinski View Post
    So I somehow got this malware. I am using google chrome-stable. When I use chrome any page I go to after a few seconds this page comes up. So I went to firefox to look it up. I found out it is a hijacker for your web broswer. I have not found anywhere of how to get rid of this. I have included a screenshot of the message I get. Please Help!
    Clean the cookies and cache out of that browser.

Beans
    Distro

I tried clearing the cache and cookies, I don't always get the warning. I went into my routers log, and the site is always coming up from my IP address.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is what I get when I go to the site mentioned in the warning.
    Screenshot from 2012-06-19 21:47:03.jpg

I would use bleachbit to clean the whole set up, be careful though it will remove passwords for the browser or email if you tick it to.

The only way malware could be running on your computer is if it got to root, and it has to be physically installed there, linux does not have 0 day attacks or injections of malware per-say.

Beans
    Distro

I tried using BleachBit. I have never logged in as root. So I am not sure why I am getting all of this. Also in the router log there are tons and tons of more ads that says is from my IP. I just don't physically see all of them. In fact I don't see any of them.

Beans
    Distro

If you use Firefox you don't have any problem at ending uo at this page?

It is possible that male-ware has effected your Google Chrome profile but is very unlikely that the damage goes beyond the profile, and vanishingly unlikely that it effect the system outside /home/user.

I would simply delete or rename /home/user/.config/google-chrome and let chrome build a new clean profile. Obviously if you do this you will loose bookmarks etc.

Beans
    Distro

I had thought it had attacked my profile. I have 2 extensions running. The one that I though it got into was the Speed Dial 2. What I did was remove that, then start a whole new config for it hoping it would fix it, although it did not. I will trying renaming it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

take gone fishing's advice.

it's highly unlikely that (if there is any) malware has infected anything other than your google chrome's profile files.

Beans
    Distro

Also I forgot to mention, it's not just ifindsee.com, it's also findtsee.com. Very similar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast