Thread: Revert to default settings on Gnome tweak crash

Beans

Unhappy Revert to default settings on Gnome tweak crash

Hello, I have this issue when i was trying to play around with the Gnome tweak tool, it ended awkwardly(some themes ended up being too off and out of sync for some reason). I ended up trying to purge it in terminal midway(Bad idea...) hoping it would revert. But when i reinstalled everything...

It ended up

-Trying to log in via gnome doesnt display the UI and ubuntu crashes as it opened(you can still shut down via power button though)

-I cant open the Gnome tweak tool using the unity layout(So im basically stuck using ) it just changes colours but window isnt showing anymore

I just wanted to pretty much forget the whole ordeal and revert everything in its default settings. but im stuck with a terrible UI in ubuntu(unity) and i cant access Gnome without spazzing itself. Assistance would be helpful..(im at work so ill do the solutions tonight)

Beans

Re: Revert to default settings on Gnome tweak crash

Code:
    gnome-shell --replace
    it should output some errors giving you an idea of what to fix

Beans

Gevening sorry for the late reply.

I tried the code but it causes the the terminal to crash for some reason and completely destroy the UI.

-I have docky, a black horizontal screen filled almost 1/3 of the screen

-The top and application launcher bars disappeared

-Any window opened are minimized and cannot be resized nor modified(as if it froze as well)

Beans

Ive been trying to find any solutions in an hour and nothing, as much as possible im avoiding to use the terminal before i cause any more damage. Tried to input the code as well, it still crashes the same way sorry. x___x

as much as possible i just want to restore everything back to normal without reformatting(last resort...).

Beans

A quick update

I reinstalled both the gnome tweak and shell properly. Gnome tweak is still unresponsive, but i managed to access the gnome UI via log in and it feels responsive so far.

Used code mentioned in ubuntu(unity) and it pointed out an error to /usr/bin/gnome-shell with via "force close"

I hope this helps.

Beans

GS refusing to open is usually indicative of user extensions that are broken or not properly installed. check to see if there are any errors that point to your home folder.

better yet, run this command. it will make a log and you can attach that log to your reply
    Code:
    unity --repace > $HOME/Desktop/GSOutput.log
    once youre confident that it has fully crashed, hit Ctrl+C and then type the following to switch back to Unity:
    Code:
    Unity --replace
    then attach the log that is output to your desktop to your next reply

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTye View Post
    GS refusing to open is usually indicative of user extensions that are broken or not properly installed. check to see if there are any errors that point to your home folder.

better yet, run this command. it will make a log and you can attach that log to your reply
    Code:
    unity --repace > $HOME/Desktop/GSOutput.log
    once youre confident that it has fully crashed, hit Ctrl+C and then type the following to switch back to Unity:
    Code:
    Unity --replace
    then attach the log that is output to your desktop to your next reply
    Hello

Sorry the analysis was getting exceedingly long and the log file was getting repetitive so i have to cut it(ill still keep it long though), since it didnt crash(fortunately) i wont be doing the second one then. But heres the GS log file
    Attached Files Attached Files