Thread: virus found in usr folder

Beans

virus found in usr folder

Have run clam on whole system and multiple instances of PUA.Win32.Packer.Upolyx-5 FOUND in /usr/lib/mono

Looking further I find that /usr/lib/mono appears to be full of MS type files / executables and all appear to be owned by ROOT.

What's going on?

Beans

Re: virus found in usr folder

Moved to Security Discussions
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Probably false positives. I have .exe's and .dll's in my Mono folder as well.
    sig

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Packers are not necessarily malicious. They are the tools that compress/decompress the files included in a "pack"age "pack"ed for installation.

I would still recommend researching that particular one, since packers can be malicious. It probably won't be any problem for you on your Linux machine, but you could unwittingly cause a Windows user some grief.

You might even see if you can find a Mono forum and ask there.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: virus found in usr folder

You may want to check this site. As already mentioned, unless you are running Wine, or running a VM with Windows in it, and this file is found in the .wine folder or in the VM folder, chances are extremely high it won't do a thing - it's not for linux. As also mentioned, the danger comes if you email someone or give them some other media that has the file on it.

Dave

Beans
    Distro

Couple things: the prefix PUA stands for "potentially unwanted application," a designation which tends to be made for things that are at worst annoying but not specifically malicious, and which tend to have been put there by the user. In this specific case the most likely reason for the files being detected as PUA is because they are packed or otherwise compressed in a way that the Clam engine is unable to determine what's in them, thus it's pointing them out but not removing them (as they might be perfectly fine).

Also, one of the main purposes of Mono is to enable compatibility with certain Microsoft languages and platforms, so it's likely that's why those files are there.

These detections are almost certainly false positives.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    Couple things: the prefix PUA stands for "potentially unwanted application," a designation which tends to be made for things that are at worst annoying but not specifically malicious, and which tend to have been put there by the user. In this specific case the most likely reason for the files being detected as PUA is because they are packed or otherwise compressed in a way that the Clam engine is unable to determine what's in them, thus it's pointing them out but not removing them (as they might be perfectly fine).

Also, one of the main purposes of Mono is to enable compatibility with certain Microsoft languages and platforms, so it's likely that's why those files are there.

These detections are almost certainly false positives.
    +1 Nothing to be alarmed about.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

Thanks for all the feedback. Recent scans using clam have not identified any threats in the mono folder. I assume this is due to changes in the clam virus signature list.

Have now upgraded to 12.04 and no threats reported.