Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Quote Originally Posted by jfaissolle View Post
    At last I have found this issue to be related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/991232 . Power plugged: wifi OK. Power unplugged: wifi KO. Plugged : wifi OK again. By completely disabling the power saving mode of the wireless card you can have max network performance full time. This is achieved by the command:
    Code:
    sudo touch /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    I've tried everything I can find to fix the wireless. It seems to get worse every time I try something. This broke it entirely. I get a few seconds of wifi after I login whether I'm on power or not. On the first boot after doing this, the system froze completely a few seconds after connecting to my network. I'm about to do a clean install so I can wipe out everything I've done and try it again. I'm also considering different distributions. Between the wifi problem and E17 segfaulting when I open the menus, I'm starting to get annoyed by Ubuntu. I've never had so much trouble with it before.

I haven't had any problems with clicking. I don't much care for the responsiveness of the touchpad when it comes to scrolling, but it is the same in Windows and Linux, so that must be the hardware. I find myself reaching for the arrow keys more on this machine than others. My last several machines were Macs, so I'm used to perfectly smooth scrolling from a touchpad.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vmnogueira View Post
    Could you comment about the fan noise?
    According to http://tbreak.com/tech/2012/06/asus-...-ux31a-review/ it can be very noisy.

Thank you,
    Vitor

P.S. Please consider fan noise under "normal load": mail, browsing (no flash ), file editing, etc.
    After clean boot or reboot my Zenbook Prime usually is nearly noiseless, except you are waking it up from standby. After Standby you have a helicopter on your desk (BIOS v214 and Win7) - so I hope the next BIOS Update will fix that.

Cheers L.

Beans

Hi guys!
    I just want to share my experience with the UX31A. (4002V - 256GB aData SSD - BIOS 214)

After I made a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.1 AMD64 (UEFI DualBoot Win7)
    I followed quite most of the tips from the ZenBookPrime-Wiki except:
    -> haven't "disabled touchpad while typing" (but it doesn't work atm)
    -> not using the boot option "nmi_watchdog=0"

-> haven't installed asus-wmi
    -> no packages from xorg-edgers

Also I took the second brightness workaraound with edited scripts (+/-30 instead of 1)
    and enabled ALPM -> it's promising 7 hours of battery live (when only browsing or doing other light tasks... in "powersave" mode)

I'm on stock kernel an never had one freeze, kernel panic, wifi problem, "helicopter" when opening lid what so ever.
    Last edited by floyd0815aut; October 19th, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by floyd0815aut View Post
    Hi guys!
    I just want to share my experience with the UX31A. (4002V - 256GB aData SSD - BIOS 214)

After I made a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.1 AMD64 (UEFI DualBoot Win7)
    I followed quite most of the tips from the ZenBookPrime-Wiki except:
    -> haven't "disabled touchpad while typing" (but it doesn't work atm)
    -> not using the boot option "nmi_watchdog=0"

-> haven't installed asus-wmi
    -> no packages from xorg-edgers

Also I took the second brightness workaraound with edited scripts (+/-30 instead of 1)
    and enabled ALPM -> it's promising 7 hours of battery live (when only browsing or doing other light tasks... in "powersave" mode)

I'm on stock kernel an never had one freeze, kernel panic, wifi problem, "helicopter" when opening lid what so ever.
    Hi floyd0815aut,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu in my UX31A, but haven't found yet a good and simple step-by-step or something like that. Could you please tell me some link or how have you install it.

I've been a little research and ended up in a guide to install Arch Linux from a pen because the issues about the dualboot, but that seems like won't install ubuntu...

Could you please give me a little help?

Thanks

PS: I'm talking to floyd0815aut because he have post his experience right above, but if someone can help I'll be very thankful!
    PS: Sorry for some bad English, I'm Portuguese.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rjma View Post
    Hi floyd0815aut,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu in my UX31A, but haven't found yet a good and simple step-by-step or something like that. Could you please tell me some link or how have you install it.

I've been a little research and ended up in a guide to install Arch Linux from a pen because the issues about the dualboot, but that seems like won't install ubuntu...

Could you please give me a little help?

Thanks

PS: I'm talking to floyd0815aut because he have post his experience right above, but if someone can help I'll be very thankful!
    PS: Sorry for some bad English, I'm Portuguese.
    Hi, and sorry for the delay.

What I did was: (having the 256GB version)
    Booted the into the LiveCD/USB -> opened "gparted" -> deleted the unused "DATA" partition -> made a new smaller Data partition (52GB) + one for ubuntu (68GB) + one swap (2GB) -> installed ubuntu (64BIT -> for EFI boot!!!) on the partition (bootloader to EFI partition) -> updated Ubuntu and followed the instructions from the Zenbook Wiki page. (except the mentioned things in the previous post)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime

Also you have to edit grub to get win booting:
    I made a custom file to load the correct partition but I can't find the guide anymore.
    But you can use "boot-repair" to do that!
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans

My Zenbooks performance is really, really sluggish compared to the 12.10 VM on my desktop. When opening the search lens using the super key I have to wait two or three seconds before anything shows up. Is this normal? I have the i5 model with an ADATA SSD, running 12.10 with all the available updates. I also tried to compare the difference in performance with and without xorg-edgers, but if there is any it is barely noticeable. Could anybody be so kind and upload a video of the performance on their machine?
    Last edited by DeKubus; March 2nd, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Beans

UX31A -- A simple way to fix the brightness Fn keys

This does not involve changing the kernel.
    I tested it with precise, using both the standard 3.2 kernel, or the upgraded 3.5 kernel.

Change kernel command lines in /etc/default/grub as follows

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rootfstype=ext4 pcie_aspm=force nmi_watchdog=0"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX='acpi_osi="!Windows 2006" acpi_osi="!Windows 2009" acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"'

Then run update-grub.

After rebooting, the screen brightness function keys work.

- L.

Beans

For people with UX32A who want to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu and are confused about what to do (as I was), here is what I did:

0. Update BIOS to latest (213) using the winflash utility.
    1. Make a Ubuntu USB key with Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit from official website.
    2. Backup important windows files just in case.
    3. Go into bios and change boot order to "UEFI [usb key name]" to be the first on the list
    4. Insert usb key, boot and chose "Install ubuntu alongside Windows" and choose the recommended option for automatic partitioning.
    5. Move the bar to decide how much space you allow for Data files and how much for ubuntu (setup will create swap automatically so don't worry about it).
    6. Run boot-repair since couldn't log into windows.
    7. For everything that still didn't work (screen brightness and trackpad two finger scrolling and power options) follow steps in the wiki https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime

I hope this helps some.

But my question is, should I bother doing the SSD optimization steps despite not installing anything on it? Can linux still take advantage of the SSD even if root is not on it?

Thanks
    Last edited by vaveh; March 6th, 2013 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

I have a TouchPad issues.
    Ubuntu start up and I need to enter my password. On the lockscreen my touchpad works and after the login not.
    I try this

I have a Zenbook Prime UX31A.

Beans

Hello , im new in the linux world

want to install ubuntu 13.0.4 on my zenbook prime (ux31a) .

any chance to isntall dual boot with win 7 ? (already installed)

10x!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast