Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Quote Originally Posted by Thucydides411 View Post
    I posted this on the UX21a thread by mistake, but it's more relevant here. Has anyone else experienced kernel panics when on wifi with the UX31a? /var/log/kern.log always spits out something similar to the following before the computer freezes up entirely:

kernel: [ 429.775228] cfg80211: Found new beacon on frequency: 5785 MHz (Ch 157) on phy0
    Kernel 3.4.0 solved that issue for me.

I also tried 3.5.0-2.2 but I had to go back to 3.4.0 due to the following issues:

1. The Zenbook hangs at the login screen for a very long time when you start the computer on battery (it doesn't do that when you start it with the AC plug connected)

2. The brightness controll is stuck at 5

You can install both 3.5.0 and 3.4.0 from the xorg-edgers ppa:
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+...filter=precise

Beans

BTW, I also upgraded all the packages from xorg-edgers (including xserver-xorg-input-synaptics), and then applied nexero's patch from the following post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=49

Even if the patch is said to be for 12.10alpha, it just worked on 12.04 with both kernel 3.4.0 and 3.5.0.

Now I have almost all fn keys working (apart from fn+f5 and fn+f6).

Thanks nexero!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by fab.head View Post

I also tried 3.5.0-2.2 but I had to go back to 3.4.0 due to the following issues:

1. The Zenbook hangs at the login screen for a very long time when you start the computer on battery (it doesn't do that when you start it with the AC plug connected)

Thanks for the tips. Funnily enough, I went through exactly the same steps as you, with regards to the kernel. I reported the kernel panics to Ubuntu, and they told me to test a release-candidate version of 3.5, which always hanged for about 45 seconds on the login screen. Now I'm on v3.4 of the kernel, and panic- and hang-free for a day-and-a-half.

Next, I'll try your suggestion on the xorg-edgers updates.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rockprincess View Post
    hey there,

yesterday i went to the store, which claimed it had the ux31a prime in store. i was pretty impressed about the weight, but then noticed they only had the ux21E.

things that bothered me:

*) the sharp edges of the metal case
    *) the display seemed glossy and NOT non-glare to me...maybe this is just on the ux31e
    *) no backlit keyboard (it's not that important to me, but it's a nice to have feature)

to summarize it, i was pretty impressed, although the metal case seemed a bit "cheap" to me. I expected a more high-end product for that price.
    i have been reading posts on google+ by people with the Zenbook Prime and it doesn't sound worth it. Complaints about touchpad, 'sharpness' of the edge digs into wrists and loud fan noise. i really wanted to go with one of these but have given up. am looking at a larger machine with less headaches and better price now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pythonomicon View Post
    i have been reading posts on google+ by people with the Zenbook Prime and it doesn't sound worth it. Complaints about touchpad, 'sharpness' of the edge digs into wrists and loud fan noise. i really wanted to go with one of these but have given up. am looking at a larger machine with less headaches and better price now.
    Touchpad
    The updated version of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics from the the xorg-edgers ppa fixes the touchpad, which now works as expected: left click, right click, click and drag, edge scrolling, two finger scrolling (vertical and horizontal), tap to click (one finger left click, two fingers right click).

Edges
    This is a matter of taste, therefore I cannot comment.
    I can only say that they are just fine to me.

Fan
    I honestly don't find it loud at all.

Beans

good to know! i haven't purchased my 'ultimate ubuntu laptop' yet so i will give it another look.
    thanks!

Beans

The power button is another thing which now works fine after updating the packages from xorg-edgers. Keep it pressed for a couple of seconds in order to trigger the Power Off dialogue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fab.head View Post

I've followed your suggestions, and now nearly everything, including the function keys (except F5 and F6), is working as it should. I couldn't figure out how to install v3.4.0 of the kernel from the xorg-edgers ppa, however - I only see v3.5.0 there. How did you do this?

I've had another problem, which may be related to using the Ubuntu mainline v3.4.0 kernel (3.4.0-030400-generic), rather than the xorg-edgers version. When I run a second display through the VGA dongle, after about 30 minutes, youtube videos begin playing at several times normal speed. When I disconnect the second display, this behavior continues until I reboot. Any ideas?

Beans

I've followed your suggestions, and now nearly everything, including the function keys (except F5 and F6), is working as it should. I couldn't figure out how to install v3.4.0 of the kernel from the xorg-edgers ppa, however - I only see v3.5.0 there. How did you do this?
    You're right, it's not longer there.
    It was available from xorg-edgers yesterday.

3.4.4 is available here:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.4.4-quantal/

I've had another problem, which may be related to using the Ubuntu mainline v3.4.0 kernel (3.4.0-030400-generic), rather than the xorg-edgers version. When I run a second display through the VGA dongle, after about 30 minutes, youtube videos begin playing at several times normal speed. When I disconnect the second display, this behavior continues until I reboot. Any ideas?
    I haven't tried that yet.
    You may try with 3.4.4 from the link above and see whether it happens again.

Beans
    Distro

I've tried with the 3.4.4 kernel, but I still get videos playing back at several times normal speed. This time, it happened without connecting the VGA dongle, so maybe there's no connection between the two.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast