Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Beans

Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Hi,

Just got the nedw Zenbook Prime; UX31A and installed 12.04 on it.

I have just found two things that is not working 100% (have not much testing yet, not tested external ports, etc.);

1. Some function buttons does not seem to work.
    2. A more major issue seems to be that the trackpad has some issues; leftclick+move does not work, rightclick does not work. However, some multitouch functions is working (scrolling with dualclick/slide).

There is a thread for UX21A and there seem to be no reports about trackpad issues, but I'm not sure if the UX31A has identical trackpad hardware. Thread for UX21A:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2005756

If I install "gpointing-device-settings", the touchpad is identified as a "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad".

Anyone who has any ideas or experience with the UX31A?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A)

Nice! I think I will bye this laptop too, but i will install the 11.10 ( had bad experiences with the 12.04) What is the especifications of version, how much you paid for it, and where? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hi,

ich got the Zenbook UX31A too (using Xubuntu 12.04) and problem 2. was annoying like hell. After installing the newest kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...5-rc3-quantal/ (i was too lazy to compile the kernel - look at the other thread for details) the problem with leftclick+move was solved. Rightclick doesn't work, but there is a multitouch function for that (using 2 fingers to tap on the touchpad). Sadly 1. isn't solved with the new kernel.

Please notice that the kernel is not declared stable yet (it works fine for me) - use it at your own risk!

Michael

edit : According to the other thread you just need kernel 3.4 or newer - perhaps another kernel works better for you.
    Last edited by Thirion; June 20th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hemenesgard View Post
    Nice! I think I will bye this laptop too, but i will install the 11.10 ( had bad experiences with the 12.04) What is the especifications of version, how much you paid for it, and where? Thanks.
    It cost aprox 10k SEK + VAT in Sweden. It's core i7 with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and an amazing display

BR
    Jakob

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thirion View Post
    Hi,

ich got the Zenbook UX31A too (using Xubuntu 12.04) and problem 2. was annoying like hell. After installing the newest kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.5-rc3-quantal/ (i was too lazy to compile the kernel - look at the other thread for details) the problem with leftclick+move was solved. Rightclick doesn't work, but there is a multitouch function for that (using 2 fingers to tap on the touchpad). Sadly 1. isn't solved with the new kernel.

Please notice that the kernel is not declared stable yet (it works fine for me) - use it at your own risk!

Michael

edit : According to the other thread you just need kernel 3.4 or newer - perhaps another kernel works better for you.

Thanks a lot for that feedback. I will build a new kernel first thing tomorrow morning!
    Will try to remember to report success here..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hey there,

yesterday i went to the store, which claimed it had the ux31a prime in store. i was pretty impressed about the weight, but then noticed they only had the ux21E.

things that bothered me:

*) the sharp edges of the metal case
    *) the display seemed glossy and NOT non-glare to me...maybe this is just on the ux31e
    *) no backlit keyboard (it's not that important to me, but it's a nice to have feature)

to summarize it, i was pretty impressed, although the metal case seemed a bit "cheap" to me. I expected a more high-end product for that price.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rockprincess View Post
    hey there,

yesterday i went to the store, which claimed it had the ux31a prime in store. i was pretty impressed about the weight, but then noticed they only had the ux21E.

things that bothered me:

*) the sharp edges of the metal case
    *) the display seemed glossy and NOT non-glare to me...maybe this is just on the ux31e
    *) no backlit keyboard (it's not that important to me, but it's a nice to have feature)

to summarize it, i was pretty impressed, although the metal case seemed a bit "cheap" to me. I expected a more high-end product for that price.
    Just to let you know, the ux21E was a previous model. The new models that are out are the ux31a, ux21a and ux32vd.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by euph View Post
    Just to let you know, the ux21E was a previous model. The new models that are out are the ux31a, ux21a and ux32vd.
    yes, i know!

but it probably doesn't change the fact, that the edges of the metal cases are a bit sharp/edgy...

from what i've researched now, the ux31E is the only model that has the glossy display, so the ux31a, ux21a und ux32vd all have the non-glare display.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hi,

the ux31e and ux21e are the previous versions of the ux31a and ux21a. The backlit keyboard and the non-glare display were introduced in the a-series - which is quite new and not every store has it available yet - you should wait some time for the newer version.

As far as i know they didn't change much about the case - but you need to look for yourself there. The edges are quite sharp, thats right, but had no problems with it (yet) and for me the case doesn't seem cheap at all (even compared with a Macbook Pro).

I hope i could help,
    Michael

Beans

Could you comment about the fan noise?
    According to http://tbreak.com/tech/2012/06/asus-...-ux31a-review/ it can be very noisy.

Thank you,
    Vitor

P.S. Please consider fan noise under "normal load": mail, browsing (no flash ), file editing, etc.
    Last edited by vmnogueira; June 22nd, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast