Thread: Strongswan fails while accessing /dev/urandom

Beans
    Hidden!

Strongswan fails while accessing /dev/urandom

I made a bug that is relevant to this post here. However, I'm turning to the community now, as I cannot believe that no one else has stumbled on this issue. I'm not using any wild configuration settings, it's just a regular roadwarrior setting using ikev2, tunnel (+ipcomp transport) and authentication using RSA signatures (PKI infra).

However, on the cliënt, when I want to start the connection, I get this:
    root@Delta:~# ipsec up remote
    initiating IKE_SA remote[1] to 82.169.126.54
    opening "/dev/urandom" failed: Permission denied
    error generating nonce
    tried to check-in and delete nonexisting IKE_SA
    And this is where things get really weird:

root@Delta:~# ls -la /dev/urandom
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 jun 17 17:54 /dev/urandom
    root@Delta:~# lsattr /dev/urandom
    lsattr: Bewerking wordt niet ondersteund Tijdens lezen van vlaggen op /dev/urandom (-> says it is not supported)
    But we are root right... ? Yes we are:

root@Delta:~# ps -p 21021,22515,21020,22514 -o args,group,pgid,ppid,rgroup,ruser,tty,user,gid,rgi d,ruid,uid
    COMMAND GROUP PGID PPID RGROUP RUSER TT USER GID RGID RUID UID
    /usr/lib/ipsec/starter root 21020 1 root root ? root 0 0 0 0
    /usr/lib/ipsec/charon --use root 21021 21020 root root ? root 0 0 0 0
    /usr/lib/ipsec/starter root 22514 1 root root ? root 0 0 0 0
    /usr/lib/ipsec/charon --use root 22515 22514 root root ? root 0 0 0 0
    More relevant info can be found in the bugreport. We haven't tried much so far, only the suggestion made by this link. No dice though.

And it is no way my intention to start a flamewar, troll or something... But these settings work on a Gentoo cliënt. I'm one of the few lucky one's who managed to 'convert' my parents to use Linux and Ubuntu was the logical choice (introducing my parents to Gentoo's emerge, USE-flags, CFLAGS, compilation failures, ABI/API compatibility might happen in another 100 years ). It's a really simple setup. Basically it's and alternative installation CD. I simply only installed base and the user-session starts with startx. It has no networkmanager, no display manager and uses XFCE components to work. At boot it uses 93 out of 512 MB of RAM (so that is not an issue I suppose). PAM authentication works, I had to do some fiddling to authenticate the regular user with consolekit but this works now. Power events (shutdown, restart, hibernate) and USB devices (camera's, USB, mounting, umounting) all work flawlessly.

Thanks in advance for *any* suggestions

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Strongswan fails while accessing /dev/urandom

Disabling libcap functionality fixes the issue. Strongswan has a 'native' alternative, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Disabling it is not *such* a big deal as this Strongswan installation is a client. Thanks anyway!

Further findings will be placed in bug 1014361.