Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

My brightness buttons work properly after wake up, not after boot. Solution working for me right now: After boot, put the computer to sleep and wake it up again.

Didn't need to do any kernel recompiling, which, it seems, leaded to the same result anyway.

Oh and if any of you are having trouble booting up after the second restart of your computer after installing the nvidia drivers, I found the following: After you install the drivers and reboot, notice that your xorg.conf timestamp has changed. Nvidia performs some changes after boot that mess everything up. To prevent this:

1) Install nvidia drivers as described by cberner.
    2) Reboot.
    3) Run
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    again.
    4) Reboot as many times as you wish now without trouble.
    Last edited by plech.d; October 29th, 2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Found the proper reason for my brightness keys working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by plech.d View Post
    My brightness buttons work properly after wake up, not after boot. Solution working for me right now: After boot, put the computer to sleep and wake it up again.

Didn't need to do any kernel recompiling, which, it seems, leaded to the same result anyway.

Oh and if any of you are having trouble booting up after the second restart of your computer after installing the nvidia drivers, I found the following: After you install the drivers and reboot, notice that your xorg.conf timestamp has changed. Nvidia performs some changes after boot that mess everything up. To prevent this:

1) Install nvidia drivers as described by cberner.
    2) Reboot.
    3) Run
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    again.
    4) Reboot as many times as you wish now without trouble.
    Just had the same problem you described when I went back to test some new things on my retina. Running nvidia-xconfig a second time didn't help though. Did you make any other changes after you followed my guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonone View Post
    Just had the same problem you described when I went back to test some new things on my retina. Running nvidia-xconfig a second time didn't help though. Did you make any other changes after you followed my guide?
    I don't believe I did. This is my experience:

I installed Ubuntu quite a few times, following your guide. I always ran into this problem and didn't know why. The only time I didn't run into it was when I upgraded to 3.6 rc6 BEFORE installing the nvidia drivers and efi grub. But then, my webcam wasn't working and Skype was making peculiar noises when playing sound notifications.

The final install went as follows:
    1) Followed your guide exactly, didn't upgrade the kernel.
    2) After I ran nvidia-xconfig, I checked that an xorg.conf file was created, and checked its timestamp.
    3) Rebooted according to your guide.
    4) Checked the timestamp of xorg.conf - it has changed. This brought me to believe that perhaps that is why on the following boot, nothing would pop up.
    5) Ran nvidia-xconfig again, rebooted.
    6) Boot ok. Checked timestamp again, it stayed the same now and hasn't changed again with subsequent boots.

I cannot say what had been changed in the xorg.conf file after the first boot, because I didn't look. I don't want to reinstall again to find out, I'm glad I'm up and running :] Everything works well now except for the internal microphone.

I do, however, wish to note the following two aspects:
    - I have a USB WiFi adapter and used it to download updates while installing Ubuntu and I installed the updates before I ever installed efi grub or nvidia drivers.
    - This working installation is the first time that I decided to directly choose /dev/sda for the boot loader installation during Ubuntu setup. Before I always chose my / partition, because that's what all previous general Ubuntu Mac install guides told me to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonone View Post
    I too just ran into this. I had booted the Ubuntu partition numerous times with no problems. Last night I installed some Ubuntu updates before powering off and since then, I get no X. Running nvidia-xconfig did not help. I could look into the X logs and stuff but the console text is so dang small so I'm hoping someone else beat me to it

EDIT: Found the problem. Probably not the same as yours. I did not have kernel-headers installed so my new kernel did not get DKMS modules built for nvidia.
    Last edited by magnumripper; October 30th, 2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: New info

Beans

I just came across this update and lose NVIDIA drivers problem. It wasn't after the initial install, it was up and working for a while. Just did a regular update and now I boot to command prompt. X won't start (no screens found) and nvidia-xconfig doesn't change anything. Magnumripper, can you detail how you solved this?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lukeco11 View Post
    I just came across this update and lose NVIDIA drivers problem. It wasn't after the initial install, it was up and working for a while. Just did a regular update and now I boot to command prompt. X won't start (no screens found) and nvidia-xconfig doesn't change anything. Magnumripper, can you detail how you solved this?
    If you choose the older kernel in GRUB it will likely work fine, so you get a decent screen to fix it. I did not realize that until after fixing the problem using the almost unreadable little font in the console. Chin right above the keyboard

From memory, during re-installation of the nvidia driver (any version) I got a DKMS error hinting about the problem. I think I had to install kernel-source despite the fact kernel-headers should be enough. Then re-install the nvidia driver, so it builds the DKMS modules. If it says it did not successfully build the DKMS modules, you need something more. Installing kernel-package and all its recommends may be a short-cut to success in case you get stuck.

Beans

Can we extend this to the rMBP 13" model? I would guess that it's a little bit simpler case than the 15" given the Intel-only graphics. I'm hemming and hawing between a 13 retina and the MBA with the main issue being the ability to have a happy linux experience on the retina. I'm not knowledgeable enough to be a pioneer on this but if anyone else has done the pioneering, I'd love to hear it.

Beans

Good news !
    There's a new patch from Daniel Blueman/Alexander Stein/Takashi Iwai (https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/4/11) that solves the microphone issue. It's apparently made it in 3.7-rc5, which I am currently running.
    add:
    options snd-hda-intel model=mbp101
    in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    I have not seen regression in audio associated to this patch.

Beans

Loving 12.10 on Retina Macbook Pro, but every time I put it down on a table the WiFi connection dies. If it sits in my lap, then it seems to work fine. Am I alone in this? Anyone have an idea on how to make the WiFi more stable?

Beans

Hi

I have a problem using my second screen. When I boot with the second screen plugged in, the second screen is active and the laptop screen is off. The internal screen is eDP-1 and xrandr reports:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 8192 x 8192
    eDP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-2 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm
    1920x1200 60.0*+
    1920x1080 50.0 60.0
    1600x1200 60.0
    1680x1050 59.9
    1680x945 60.0
    1400x1050 59.9
    1600x900 60.0
    1280x1024 60.0
    1440x900 59.9
    1280x960 60.0
    1366x768 60.0
    1360x768 60.0
    1280x800 59.9
    1280x768 60.0
    1280x720 50.0 60.0
    1024x768 60.0
    1024x576 60.0
    800x600 60.3 56.2
    720x576 50.0
    848x480 60.0
    720x480 59.9
    640x480 60.0
    HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    I'm running 3.7-rc5.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Magnus

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast