Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

dear ryanchallman,
    can you please confirm if suspend/resume is working for you.
    and which driver do you use? nvidea or nouvou?
    thanks alot

Beans

Yes, suspend/resume works as expected. Out of the 20 or so times, I've had to restart network-manager twice. Otherwise, stability has been very good, much better than my x220.

Graphics are neither. I purposely got the 13" model since it's using integrated graphics (Intel). I haven't seen any resoundingly successful report of getting the discrete cards working well.

Beans

Hello,

I just yesterday installed Ubuntu 13.10 to my MacbookPro Retina (MBP 10,1). Everything went pretty smoothly but now I have a strange problem which i can't figure out.

My ubuntu install works fine, but if I leave my MBP idle for a long time, for example night time. This morning i went to my mbp and the screen was blank (as it should be) but then I could not get the system to wake up again. I had to force shutdown the machine and start it again to get to the desktop.

Anything I could do to get this fixed?

I installed the ubuntu with refind and used the normal 13.10 desktop iso, i couldn't find the mac version of it. Should I have done it with the mac version ISO file or does it matter anymore. I read some tutorials and others sais (they were based on 13.04 though) that you should use the mac iso, and others said to use the normal desktop ISO file.

I have a pretty fresh install so I haven't installed any software or changed any drivers.

If anyone has a solution to this.
    Apple Retina Macbook Pro 15" (10,1)
    Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Seeing that you have the 15", this may be related to the discrete card (yours has a discrete right). Also, this may sound dumb, but have you checked to make sure it's not a screen brightness issue? Mine, when I lock it, dims the screen until it's off. Maybe try toggling the brightness when the screen is off? Does CTRL+ALT+F1 bring back the screen?

Also, standard ISO is recommended I believe. That's what I used.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryanchallman View Post
    Seeing that you have the 15", this may be related to the discrete card (yours has a discrete right). Also, this may sound dumb, but have you checked to make sure it's not a screen brightness issue? Mine, when I lock it, dims the screen until it's off. Maybe try toggling the brightness when the screen is off? Does CTRL+ALT+F1 bring back the screen?

Also, standard ISO is recommended I believe. That's what I used.
    Yes I have the nvidia card too in this lappy. But I haven't installed the nvidia drivers yet, so it's not that either i guess...

Nope not a brightness issue, tested it many times.
    Apple Retina Macbook Pro 15" (10,1)
    Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

updated my laptop to 13.10..

My audio jack seems to be red now. Like digital is enabled. Also, my mic is always really low, I have to go and increase the volume. Ontop of this, the default output is never the speakers.....

What can I do?

Anyone got sd card working yet?!

Beans

SD card for me is working out of the box. My audio jack is red, too. I haven't used the Mic so I'm not sure. My default always goes to the speakers. Maybe try doing a clean install? Otherwise, a startup script could probably take care of the mic and default output.

Beans

Hello Everyone,

I just want to check of anyone has found a solution on how to disable the Nvidia GPU? I found a suggestion here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/37085...1-ubuntu-13-10

Supposedly it can be done with the command line interface (echo 'OFF' > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch)

Has anyone tried this? Btw, using gfxCardStatus on Mac OS to reboot to Ubuntu never worked for me.

My goal is to be able to adjust my screen backlight brightness.

Cheers!

(I'm using rMBP 10,1 (the 15 inch) - from mid 2012).
    Last edited by Umbra Diaboli; January 7th, 2014 at 12:47 AM.

Beans

Have you followed this thread?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098304

People mentioned that you have to use an old version of gfxCardStatus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rchman View Post
    Have you followed this thread?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098304

People mentioned that you have to use an old version of gfxCardStatus.
    Thanks, I saw that thread a while ago, followed it, but the suggested solutions didn't work for me. I just tried a clean installation using "ubiquity -b". Now for some reason everytime I boot Ubuntu from rEFInd, the Intel card is the one that loads up... no idea why this happens, but it solved my problem! The brightness controls finally work (I'm not even using gfxCardStatus).

I then deleted my Mac partition, but left rEFInd on a small separate one - it seems rEFInd is necessary for the Intel GPU to load.

TL;DR: I finally have a clean rMBP just running Ubuntu working flawlessly, everything works Thanks everyone!

BTW: I've tried hooking up my Mac, w/ my now flawless Ubuntu 13:10, to my 27" Apple Home Cinema Display. Just when boot is about to finish both my Mac and external monitor go black (sometimes the external monitor will show a scramble on the top half). Has anyone encountered && solved this? Thanks a lot to everyone!

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast