Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Hey guys,

I just got my rMBP and installed Ubuntu, but every time I close the lid I just get black screen and have to hard reboot to get the comp working again. Anyone had this problem as well?

Sorry if it was posted already. I'm a complete novice to Ubuntu and have no real clue what is going on.
    Oh and also is there a way to find out if my Nvidia is installed or not ?
    also I'm running 13.04

Thanks,
    Last edited by Supjae; May 25th, 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add

Beans

Hmm.. It might work better if you install nvidia proprietary driver from settings / software & updates / additional drivers-tab (atleast in XFCE, might be in a different place in normal Ubuntu).

Also, I think the prop. driver needs efi stuff, like in: http://cberner.com/2013/03/01/instal...ok-pro-retina/ (step 4 etc..).
    EDIT: also needs "Option "UseDPLib" "off"", like in the guide above, step 5.

If you haven't done some serious tweaking, it's using nvidia

BTW, if anyone wants to create a wiki for all this stuff it would be great.

Beans

nvm, fixed
    Last edited by Supjae; May 26th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Beans

Anyone had luck with BCM4331 in MacBookPro 10,1? I cannot get it to work with b43 nor bcmwl for more than couple seconds at random. Most of the time it is unable to get an IP address.

On the list I have tried are latest mainline kernels (up to 3.9.4 for saucy), b43-fwcutter, firmware-b43-installer, linux-firmware-nonfree, lwfinger.com bcm drivers, bmcwl-kernel-source...

Edit: It may have something to do with power management features at your router. Using mobile hotspots you cannot control those, but at home, I set them off, and connection stayed on perfectly and had proper speed.
    Last edited by Tuminoid; May 30th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Beans

I guess no one has had any luck getting the SD card working yet ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I seem to have most of the everyday use items working now with my 10,1 MBP retina. I can even change resolution. The display is a little fuzzy on the edge of letters etc when not using the full 2880x1800 resolution but it can be lived with.
    The wifi adaptor seems to be working well (no problems yet) after installing the bcmwl thingimabob (and its dependencies) so no current problems there.
    Don't know about sd card as I don't use it I'm afraid.
    Happy so far!

EDIT I've just read this thread from page 1 to here and I really need to thank all of you guys for the amount of work you've put into sorting these problems out. It's all way over my head but I for one appreciate it all! Thanks.
    Last edited by Quackers; August 22nd, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One question pops into my head.
    My install is new and yesterday the installation of nvidia drivers (apt-get install nvidia-current blah blah) resulted in booting to a black screen. I'm on 13-04 and using the 3.8.0-29 generic kernel.
    Having removed everything I'm back to using nouveau and all is well. An interesting point is that the additional drivers tab in software sources doesn't actually list any available proprietary drivers for my card, which seems a bit strange as I'm surely using the nvidia card by default.
    Is this normal?
    Thanks.

Mine also suffers from failing to resume from suspend.
    Last edited by Quackers; August 22nd, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    racoonone ... it seems that 'X DPI settings is being ignored' on a Gnome base, and thus Unity, has been an old hat for YEARS! The developers' position appears two-fold, i.e. ...

1. Too many hardware units report 'wrong' information to/through X, which should thus be ignored for 'the good of the user' ... a perfect symbioses of MS and Apple: It really IS a feature, and anyway 'poor, dim-witted users' cannot be exposed something as dangerous as an option to adjust an X-DPI setting.
    2. This is part of a 'work-around' for the introduction of something 'wonderful and new', and just as there were some 'minor issues' with the introduction of [take your pick], people will get used to it. Anyway, 'only a handful of old programs' still honor X-Settings, stuff 'like xterm and maybe emacs' ... or KDE, I guess.

In discussions ranging at least 2006-13 the same problem has been flagged, discussed, and had bug reports issued over and again ... in at least one case the bug report was sequentially graded as fixed, fixed in release, unconfirmed, solved, invalid, fixed in release, invalid, solved, confirmed, unconfirmed, and critical. More informed discussions clarify that the Gnome base does indeed 'use the X server DPI value. It does not override it', obviously implying that it 'does not have a DPI setting anymore'.

Anyway, I dug up five claims of resolving the issue (the last one being my own) ...

1. The DPI can be set, but only on a per session basis via "xrandr --dpi 130".
    2. The DPI value can be set, but only via a direct call a la "startx --dpi 130", i.e. options don't make it through.
    3. You cannot set the DPI value anymore, you can only adjust the text-scaling factor /org/gnome/desktop/interface/text-scaling-factor, which should be calculated as (scale factor = monitor dpi / 96), and set through dconf, or "gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor [scale factor]".
    4. The problem lies with 'display-properties', but can be resolved by removing '~/.gnome2/monitor.xml'.
    5. "Welcome to KDE".

If none of these work for you, there's always Wayland ... nope, hang on ... Ries just culled that one for Ubuntu/Ubuntu Next in favor of the 'wonderful and new Mir' (eta 2014), so that your desktop can easier resemble a phone or TV.
    Wow, thanks for all the research!! The latest kernel (3.8.0-10) in raring just broken my install, so I'm waiting for that to be fixed :/

I've tried most of those already, and the text-scaling does work for text, unfortunately it's only for text and only some text. Chrome, for example, seems to ignore it. I haven't tried the .gnome2/monitor.xml thing, so I'll try that once this kernel issue is fixed. Thanks again!

Beans

Hey guys, just installed Ubuntu 13.10 on my 15" macbook_R, and I have to say it runs really nice, especially that the card reader is working now made me quite happy (@bcc2 )

I am still using the Intel graphics card, but I would like to prefer the Nvidia card, just not sure about the power consumption. Could someone say something about this?

@ksatta1: you wrote something about creating a wiki regarding this book. I would really appreciate this! I could just offer a guide for Intel-only setup, maybe you could help to write the "other side" (nvidia) ? Let me know!

( I posted earlier in this thread, as "sauferkel". However I lost the email adress (was on lavabit.com) so I had to create a new account)

Cheers, henning
    Last edited by ager2; September 26th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unless something drastic has been changed for 13.10 I would imagine you're using the Nouveau driver and therefore the Nvidia graphics card.
    The only Nvidia graphics driver I've got to work so far has been the 319.49 driver installed manually from the Nvidia site though others seem to have found the Ubuntu-packaged Nvidia drivers to work (ie 304 or 310). Neither worked on mine though.
    The Nvidia card is likely to consume more power than the Intel though I'm not sure that you can choose which you use without outside assistance.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast