Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by ksatta1 View Post
    I have NVidia working in 13.04 daily with the latest NVidia driver from nvidia.com. I had to add:
    Option "UseDPLib" "off"
    to the "Device" section.
    ksatta1, you are running EFI?

Beans

my laptop hangs for ages on boot. Does anyone else have this problem?

I think its because its trying to connect to the wireless network.

Code:
    [    7.855895] type=1400 audit(1361628647.379:15): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" name="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lightdm-remote-session-freerdp/freerdp-session-wrapper//chromium_browser" pid=1044 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [    7.858014] type=1400 audit(1361628647.383:16): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_replace" name="/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf" pid=1050 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [    7.978769] init: lightdm main process (1161) killed by TERM signal
    [    8.030136] init: anacron main process (1151) killed by TERM signal
    [   31.239728] wlan0: authenticate with 00:xx:xx:xx:00:c2
    [   31.263254] wlan0: send auth to 00:xx:xx:xx:00:c2 (try 1/3)
    [   31.265138] wlan0: authenticated
    [   31.265361] b43 bcma0:0 wlan0: disabling HT as WMM/QoS is not supported by the AP
    [   31.265368] b43 bcma0:0 wlan0: disabling VHT as WMM/QoS is not supported by the AP
    [   31.267032] wlan0: associate with 00:xx:xx:xx:00:c2 (try 1/3)
    [   31.269211] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:xx:xx:xx:00:c2 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=4)
    It also does it when it is not connecting to a WIFI network:

Code:
    [    7.810706] type=1400 audit(1361664955.352:14): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" name="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lightdm-remote-session-freerdp/freerdp-session-wrapper" pid=1020 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [    7.810972] type=1400 audit(1361664955.352:15): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" name="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lightdm-remote-session-freerdp/freerdp-session-wrapper//chromium_browser" pid=1020 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [    7.811327] type=1400 audit(1361664955.352:16): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" name="/usr/lib/telepathy/mission-control-5" pid=1025 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [    7.952151] init: lightdm main process (1130) killed by TERM signal
    [   42.886225] applesmc: light sensor data length set to 10

What is causing it?
    Last edited by Sc0rian; February 24th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

I decided to "take a quick look" to see if there's any new info on GPU switching, but I ended up spending quite a while replying I really have to take a break from this thread LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0rian View Post
    I am using https://launchpad.net/~poliva/+archive/lightum-mba which works a treat. This uses the Mac's light sensor to control screen and keyboard brightness.
    Cool, have to try that one day

I do sometimes get very slow WIFI, so that is not perfect.
    I guess you've already tried 13.04 bcmwl..something restricted driver? It works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by longint View Post
    -- suspend is not working at all while it was working without a single issue in Fedora 18, already tried some things, would like to get some hints as this is quite important for me
    In 12.10 if I turn off the Nvidia adapter power (echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch), I have to echo ON > ... before susped and then echo OFF again after suspend (I have it all in the suspend/resume scripts), otherwise I don't remember having any problems suspending and resuming. The ethernet adapter stops working after suspend, but anyway the computer suspends/resumes otherwise ok.

-- touchpad is not supporting 3finger click as middle click (worked out of the box in Fedora18), please advice how to fix this
    I noticed in 13.04 that it has 3 finger dragging, probably also click. You can probably set it with "synclient something". Just "synclient" lists all the options.

++ battery life time is much, much better than in Fedora18! (there seems to be a long known but not solved bug in gnome-shell or Fedora eating up the machine)
    I have 7hrs battery life (estimated) when fully charged and idling This is with only the intel adapter in use (and Nvidia powered off). ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098304 ). An addition those instructions: atleast on 3.8 kernel you don't need any of the kernel options (modeset etc).

- same issues with SDcards not read properly and bluetooth not working (for my devices), might be an general issue
    My bluetooth works best if I turn off WiFi. (To get BT audio working had to install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth).

Question:
    * Did anyone install rEFInd right from Ubuntu or any other Linux and not from OSX? Thing is, I already removed OSX completely (first thing I did).
    I tried, but couldn't get it to work.

I just "fought" with the EFI boot for one and a half days It decided to stop booting into Linux or Windows. Anyway in the end I think I fixed it like this:
    - Installed refind in OSX, to the OSX partition (in Linux I couldn't get it installed right).
    - Installed the other stuff that boot-repair creates in the separate EFI partition (fat32 partition in the beginning of the drive).

Quote Originally Posted by longint View Post
    ksatta1, you are running EFI?
    Yes. I have to triple boot win/osx/linux and I think it's the only way to get intel adapter working?

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0rian View Post
    my laptop hangs for ages on boot. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Probably nothing to do with your problem but:
    In 13.04 I get a black screen for about 20-30 secs, with the Nvidia in use. I had to add Option "UseDPLib" "off" to the "Device" section, to get the latest drivers from nvidia.com working. Haven't played around with 13.04 for a while, I use 12.10 for daily use.

Also, I have applesmc-dkms ver 0.18.2 (from mactel PPA) installed, and I only get (in dmesg):
    Code:
    [   11.039917] applesmc: key=491 fan=2 temp=44 index=43 acc=0 lux=2 kbd=1
    You seem to have something else about applesmc in there, but might be because of the light-sensor program, and nothing to do with the problem.

Looks like your lightdm is killed for some reason, I have no mention of lightdm in my syslog / dmesg. I'm running 12.10 with kernel from kernel.org, so that probably causes differences in the logs too.

Beans

This looks interesting:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/platform.../msg04039.html

It seems it's possible to switch to/from nvidia just by restarting X and doing some stuff. (EDIT: and I think you have to use the gmux driver changes from there).

Might try it some day. Like it says "use at your own risk"

The reason I'd need this is that I need nvidia when I want an external monitor connected, otherwise just intel.

Beans

Thx Ksatta1. Bluetooth is workig now after switching to the bcml (?) drivers. Used the b43 stuff before.

To EFI: I've rEFInd up and running on an USB stick able to boot from there directly my kernel from the root partition at the hdd conatining Ubuntu. I'd like to get this running without the need for the USB stick but have the warnings at the rEFInd in mind that installing it running Linux will destroy the BIOS/firmware of the MBPr!? As you said you tried and your box is still running I might rethink this and just do it...

powertop shows around 28W on my box meaning nvidia is active!? Strange as I never managed to get the proprietary drivers running...

Suspend not working is real NoGo for Ubuntu and I hope to get this running soon. According to your feedback it should work having the nvidia card active? Might be something specific for 13.04.

Thx for all the feedback and links, will keep me busy some days

Update: Just installed rEFInd right from within Ubuntu, works like a charme .
    Update2: Hehe, the 1st time I own the unit I got the proprietary nvidia drivers running!

Question to powertop: I do not see the power usage anymore!? Also, is there a way to staticaly set the options for the Tunables screen in there?
    Last edited by longint; February 26th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Beans

BTW, these are the settings "powertop --html" is suggesting for tuning (powersaving) my box:

Code:
    echo '0' > '/proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog';
    echo '1500' > '/proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs';
    echo 'min_power' > '/sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.8.2/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.8.1.3/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:06:06.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:01.2/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:01.1/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:01.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:06:00.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:06:03.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:06:04.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:06:05.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:08:00.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:16.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1f.3/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1d.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:14.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.1/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1c.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1c.1/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:05:00.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1a.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1f.0/power/control';
    echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1f.2/power/control';
    ethtool -s eth1 wol d;
    After running my USB mouse is not working anymore but a simple replugin helps.

Next stop: Suspend! Really a show stopper at the moment!
    Last edited by longint; February 26th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

longint --- to set the powertop suggested tunings on a permanent basis, create a /etc/pm/power.d/99_MBP following this pattern

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # MacbookPro Retina 10.1 power management script 
    #
    # location: /etc/pm/power.d/99_MBPr_10-1 
    #

if ! on_ac_power ; then    # adjust for Battery ...

# NMI watchdog should be turned off    
       echo '0' > '/proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog'
    else                       # back on main power ...

# SATA link power management to max_performance
       echo 'max_performance' > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy

# PCI express ASPM to performance
       echo 'performance' > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy
    fi

exit 0
    That should do the trick.

Edit: Forgot to mention ...

Any hook you place in /etc/pm/power.d will be handled by pm-utils, which also pull additional pre-set scripts from /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d and mesh the lot. If both contain identically named scripts, then the one in /etc/pm/power.d overrides, and the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d one will NOT be executed. This can generate a problem, if you use a generically named script like 99_MBPr_10-1.

Since pm-utils has no clue that you just enforced a setting for, say, the intel audio controller or the vm-writeback, it blithely runs the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d contained script, thus overriding your desired settings. Therefore, re-check that your desired values actually make it through, and if not, check for contrary scripts in /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d. Should some exist, then you should re-locate the according settings into a separate script, named to override the pre-set one ... or you can remove the pre-set script, once you made sure that you handled ALL viable states (AC, BAT, BAT Charging, ...) in the way you see fit.
    Last edited by MikeBraxner; March 14th, 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBraxner View Post
    longint --- to set the powertop suggested tunings on a permanent basis, create a /etc/pm/power.d/99_MBP following this pattern
    Thx Mate, but what is wrong with keeping these values when running on AC? OK, more performance would be nice

Other question:
    What fps is glxgears showing on your box? Mine ist just showing 60 running proprietary nvidia drivers.

And any help getting suspend to work is very welcome

Update:
    After trying a "echo -n "mem" >/sys/power/state" suspend is suddenly working now. WTF? I didn't change anything, so what happend? Did some upgrades the last time, most likely there is has been changed something.

Next Stop: 3finger-midle click in Unity, one of the annoying things left...
    Last edited by longint; February 26th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

Around 820-830 FPS ... of course, full-screen that kind'a drops to ~36-37 FPS using i915 only. Jokes aside, which NVidia driver version are you using, 310, 313???

Suspend ... I'm using 12.10, and I think you're concerned with 13.04??? Sorry.
    Last edited by MikeBraxner; February 26th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBraxner View Post
    Around 820-830 FPS ... of course, full-screen that kind'a drops to ~36-37 FPS using i915 only. Jokes aside, which NVidia driver version are you using, 310, 313???

Suspend ... I'm using 12.10, and I think you're concerned with 13.04??? Sorry.
    Yeah, I'm running 13.04, "official" apt package nvidia-310 installed.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast