Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Anybody managed to create an Ubuntu USB stick installer?

I tried these 2 isos (below) using unetbootin.app

1. ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso, I got kernel panic here. (I think this one is using 3.2 kernel).

2. quantal-desktop-amd64+mac.iso (nightly build - 22 Sept. 2010), I work but with garbage display. It is using 3.5 kernel

I manage to get an working installer with Linux Mint 13 iso (3.2 kernel) but I don't know how to get the kernel upgraded to 3.6rc6.

I need a "proper' initrd.lz (3.5rc6), anybody got a good initrd.lz (3.5rc6 kernel) that they can share that works with usb installer. The initrd.lz must be bigger than 5Mb (~ 15Mb).

I like know how anybody was able to create a working usb installer from ubuntu ISO, what did you do in your usb installer.

Please share some info about your usb installer.

Edit:

Please note that my Macbookpro retina is just the basic one (i.e. 2.3 Ghz). Again, 12.04 (3.5 kernel) and Linux mint 13 upgraded to 3.5 kernel have problem with this machine (kernel panic, etc.).

However, quantal-desktop-amd64+mac.iso (nightly build - 22 Sept. 2010) which also 3.5 kernel (probably a higher RC) works but the graphics is garbage (i.e. very distorted display).

Thanks.
    Last edited by nsicad; September 24th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Beans

@nsicad:

The mac image was not working for me. But the normal 64bit daily builds of ubuntu were working. Just used noapic and nomodest as kernel parameters.

I created the stick with the ubuntu startup disk creator.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, i'm on 2,7Ghz Cpu.

Beans

So, overall Ubuntu 12.04 is still rather unstable and not 'feature complete' on MBP retina? Like, if one's work absolutely depended on having a stable Linux environment, MBP retina would not be an option yet?

Beans

Can't speak for anyone else, but 12.04 runs stable and fine for me, and with 3.6.0-rc6 you won't even have to patch anything, or use kernel parameters to get a clean boot.

About the USB-stick:
    I used abock-image-usb-stick with the standard '+mac' image for Kubuntu --- worked just fine with kernel parameters (noapic nomodeset) for the install. (If you get the broadcom-wl-5.100.138 -> wl_apsta.o beforehand, you even get the wireless to work during install.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBraxner View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but 12.04 runs stable and fine for me, and with 3.6.0-rc6 you won't even have to patch anything, or use kernel parameters to get a clean boot.
    Does this include the microphone now?

Beans

@sauferkel: "Does this include the microphone now?"

Haven't the foggiest, since I can't remember when I last used an internal mic for anything (although as far as I know, there is no patch for the mic yet). Anyway, my work does not "absolutely depended on having" an internal mic --- just a stable system, which 12.04 offers in my utterly irrelevant, and highly subjective opinion.

Besides, I referred to a 'clean boot' in the sense that you don't have to jump through a dozen different hoops just to get the system up and running. The 3.6.0-rc6 has all the previously necessary patches included, so just download, compile, install, reboot ... and smile.

Beans

About the USB-stick:
    I used abock-image-usb-stick with the standard '+mac' image for Kubuntu --- worked just fine with kernel parameters (noapic nomodeset) for the install. (If you get the broadcom-wl-5.100.138 -> wl_apsta.o beforehand, you even get the wireless to work during install.)
    "I used abock-image-usb-stick with the standard '+mac' image for Kubuntu", What is the default kernel of this ISO? 3.6.0-rc6 kernel?

There is no point discussing that 12.04 works or not, if you don't inform us what is your Macbookpro retina CPU.

Again, 2.7 Ghz macbookpro retina works with most of these iso. However, 2.3 Ghz retina is not working with these ISO's.

PLEASE Let us your CPU next time you post in this forum. It will help other users use info, otherwise. It just waste of time and resource trying to download, burn, etc.
    Last edited by nsicad; September 25th, 2012 at 06:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nsicad View Post
    2.3 Ghz retina is not working with these ISO's.
    Well now, I use the 2.3GHz version, and I have not had any problems with any of the standard ISO's.

For the installation, I only used unaltered images straight from the Kubuntu Release site, more specifically this one for Kubuntu, while the Ubuntu site offers its equivalent. Whichever you choose to use, make sure it is the '+mac' version, e.g. 'kubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso' or its Ubuntu equivalent (which explains why your earlier posted first ISO try did not work), and remember to use 'noapic nomodeset' as kernel parameters for the install.

For something approaching a straight forward install guide, may I suggest Helger's advice (the part about 'Getting the native resolution to work and UEFI booting' will probably already resolve your display problems with the Quantal ISO), Rod's excellent info UEFI on Macs and his rEFInd work, Berner's uncomplicated summary and the ArchLinux Wiki for additional background, as well as of course the earlier posts in this forum, particularly with reference to locking in the integrated graphics card using Cody Krieger's gfxCardStatus. Once you have a working system, get, compile and install 3.6.0-rc6 (or a newer version if available).
    Last edited by MikeBraxner; September 25th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nsicad View Post
    Again, 2.7 Ghz macbookpro retina works with most of these iso. However, 2.3 Ghz retina is not working with these ISO's.
    I've not seen any evidence to support this. I talked about this with Greg K-H and he hasn't seen anything to indicate there's any difference.

Case in point:

Well now, I use the 2.3GHz version, and I have not had any problems with any of the standard ISO's.
    Gentoo Developer Extraordinaire

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    I've not seen any evidence to support this. I talked about this with Greg K-H and he hasn't seen anything to indicate there's any difference.

Case in point:
    I totally disagree that the macboopro retina are exactly the same hardware configuration even the same Ghz (e.g. 2.3 Ghz). For example, mine comes with SAMSUNG retina display and other comes with LG retina display.

Samsung retina display does not suffer "ghosting effect" as some of the LG retina does.

For whatever reason, most of the ubuntu iSO I could not make working and I am not alone.

http://philatwarrimoo.blogspot.com.a...ro-91-non.html

I got the same result with Phil (only Linux mint 13 is working). It is ubuntu but package differently.

I tried installing the linux mint 13 in usb stick and upgrade to 3.6-rc6 quantal kernel and I got the same result as upgrading usb hard drive to 3.6-rc6 quantal - kernel helper error.

Edit:

Reading the MikeBraxner posting above, it seems that we missed the "+mac" version of the ISO. I think this key element in ubuntu iso's, it has specific support for Mac machines. Coming from the PC laptops in most of my porting / hacking experience (e.g. triple booting (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)), I thought that ubuntu has generic support for Laptop and Macs.

Thanks.
    Last edited by nsicad; September 26th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast