Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 buggy on HPmini311

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 buggy on HPmini311

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit) on two Notebooks: Dell Vostro 1710 (with Intel Graphics) and my HPmini311 (with NVIDIA Ion Graphics).

On the Dell Vostro it works like charm. No problems unsolveable and really smooth.

On my Metbook Hp/Compaq mini311 I am really stuck with a lot of unfixable bugs - or so it seems. Thus I am asking for your help!!

1.) I can't disable keybindings like "Alt-Space" which is out-of-the-box used for "Window-Menu". Also, I can't set any "Super-" key binding - compiz crashes when I do OR it won't change anything.

This is really annoying, as all of the above CAN be done on the Vostro 1710.

2.) The system runs REALLY slow and gets sluggish. I already spent hours researching, which programs may be slowing down the system. But I ended up thinking it is the NVIDIA driver 295.49, not working well under Ubuntu 12.04.

3.) I considered uninstalling unity, if THAT is the cause for the low performance with my netbook. Of course, no Atom processor can be as fast as a Core2Duo, but even Windows 7 runs a lot faster on the mini311 Netbook.

My Hardware specs are:

Microprocessor 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor N270
    Microprocessor Cache Level 2 cache 512 KB
    Memory 2 GB DDR3 (1 x 2048 MB)
    Video Graphics NVIDIA ION LE
    Video Memory up to 895 MB total available graphics memory
    Display 29.4 cm (11.6") Diagonal HD LED HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)
    Hard Drive 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN
    Wireless Connectivity 802.11 b/g

So, I would be really thankful, if some of you could help me out. Or, if these are Bugs for NVIDIA users, and there is no solution, PLEASE TELL ME. Then it means a dead end for Ubuntu on my netbook.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sasun; June 19th, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added Info

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 buggy on HPmini311

nobody here to help?

Beans

Ok, it seems like nobody knows anything - or nobody is able to help.

GREAT. Ubuntu 12.04 SUCKS - at least on my mini311. Lots of strange things happen and even UbuntuForums keeps quiet.

1. Keybindings don't work OR standard bindings can't be unbound.

2. Window Buttons automatically change sides after reboot. I WANT THEM LEFT, occasionally after updates (could be Nvidia updates) they APPEAR RIGHT. Totally strange!!

3. Unity AND/OR Compiz are slow to death - and this mini 311 is a fast netbook. The CPU peaks when changing desktops or doing ANYTHING minor indicates MAJOR BUGS.

4. No one can tell what is the problem.
    - Is it the NVIDIA drivers (I tried all of them without improvement: 295.40 / 295.49 / 302.17 etcc)
    - Is it a COMPIZ bug (someone suggested turning off compiz, but then again: what's the fun in using a modern OS when having to turn off the nice stuff??)
    - Is it UNITY (I tried out Cinnamon - same performance bugs, same keybinding issues etc).

Thus, my conclusion: For some hardware Ubuntu 12.04 LTS does not function and IS A TOTAL MESS. BYE BYE UBUNTU. Back to Windows then...

It's a pity that I don't even get ONE response here. I expected more.

Beans

bump

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu 12.04 buggy on HPmini311

bumpily bump - same here - Ubuntu is very slow on HPmini 311

Quote Originally Posted by sasun View Post
    bump

Beans

HELLLLOOO?? Any help appreciated. At least could someone please walk through possible reasons for this?

- NVIDIA drivers? [there are many: 302.17 | 295,59 | 295,49]
    - Compiz-Bug? [Keydindings? - interestingly, I decided to have Ubuntu 10.04.4 installed using the same /swap and /home partition and GUESS WHAT: Can't assign any <Super>-Bindings either. WHY IS THIS??]
    - I really can't believe, that the Hardware of the HP mini311 is too weak for Ubuntu 12.04 [CPU peaks even when changing virtual desktops indicate that something is dead wrong].

SO WOULD ANY OF THE UBUNTU GEEKS PLEASE CONSIDER HELPING HERE???

Beans

bump

Beans

bump bump

Beans

Really nobody? BUMP BUMP BUMP

I won't get tired. At least ANY response is a sort of my expectancy.

Beans

I'm having a number of issues on the HP Mini 311.

I wouldn't say performance is sluggish. Just weird.

1. The machine cannot suspend.
    2. Ubuntu Tweak cannot remember any of its settings. Reboot and the settings made are retained in the Tweak program but just don't work. I have to re- set them.
    3. System freezes randomly.

Hellooo
    Is there anybody out there?
    Is there anyone at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast