Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MBA 11" 2012 with 12.04

Beans

Smile Re: MBA 11" 2012 with 12.04

So I am just at the point of setting up Ubuntu 12.04 on my new MacBook Air 13". I should be able to help in these efforts to trace down these problems. I'll let you know what I find.

EDIT: eee.c, I can confirm that your technique also works for me on my 13" to get Ubuntu 12.04 installed and booted.
    Last edited by jhodapp; June 21st, 2012 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

Re: MBA 11" 2012 with 12.04

I just ordered a new 13" MBA, so I'll be trying to put Ubuntu on soon.
    I'm hoping to triple boot OSX, WIN7, and use this for my ubuntu drive (hopefully).
    I'm just tagging along to hopefully learn a thing or two and hopefully . I've used Ubuntu for about 8 years on and off, and am not a complete newbie, but still have plenty to learn.

Beans

Hi,
    external display is working for me...
    Except: if I boot with the external display plugged in, the laptop screen is always blank after grub, and I can find no way of turning it on. The display properties GUI reports the screen being present and on, and I can move windows onto it and start applications on it, but I just can't see them.

So, for now, unplug the external display while booting...

All else seems pretty good... except I can't get fvwm working with unity very well... (launch bar goes funny).

Also - usb booting works fine (I didn't test the CD boot).
    Last edited by agb32; June 28th, 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Everything went smooth for me as well. Thank you for the information. However, are you still running with the nointremap-option? I cannot seem to get around the kernel panic without this option.

Beans

I have the same problem on the MBA 5,1 11" and other graphics problems. I installed the latest Nvidia driver. LCD still goes black with dual monitor plugged in. I'm not sure if the driver helps... havent had time to investigate. But here is some info that may help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/65164...s-after-update

Beans

Hi,
    I'm not sure the nvidia driver will do anything, because there is no nvidia chip. Graphics are provided by the HD4000 from the ivy bridge.

I'm having an interesting problem today though - can't get wireless to connect - have powered off and back on multiple times... (its fine on osx, so not a network problem).

It was being slow and droppy yesterday, and today, no luck.

Yes, am still using the nointremap option.

Anyone got any thoughts about wireless?

Hmm - I did do a apt-get upgrade yesterday - maybe that has done it...?
    Last edited by agb32; June 29th, 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Beans

OK - wifi fixed by reverting back to the stock install driver.

Am having some problems with CPU lockups - possibly this is because the fans aren't being controlled properly, and so overheating? Not sure about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

i have the new (2012) MBA 13" with 4GB ram.
    i'm dual booting Lion with 12.04.

@eee.c
    * i have no superdrive, and i can confirm that booting from a usb works. (i used the amd+mac iso, converted it to img with hdiutil and used dd to copy it to the usb stick, all from the OSX Lion partition).
    * initially, i got the same kernel panic as you did(for IO-APIC)
    * the nointremap parameter worked as you described. i also tried the noapic parameter (independently) and it worked too. i have not notice a difference between the two boots yet (one with nointremap and one with noapic).
    * unlike you, i have no problem with dimming the screen brightness from the fn keys. but i did notice that if i include the kernel parameter nomodeset (as suggested by some tutorials), then i cannot control the brightness of the screen anymore. i think nomodeset is trying to fight something with the nvidia drivers, so it is irrelevant to us (since we have no nvidia card). anyways, i wonder if your dimming issue is also related to some redundant kernel parameter that you added.
    * you are not alone- i have the same issue with the mouse freezing after suspend.
    * same as you regarding the keyboard lights not working.
    * same as you regarding wireless & sound working out of the box.

i'll report more later.
    Last edited by minsf; July 1st, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

@minsf What is the power consumption (sudo powertop)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by fhucho View Post
    @minsf What is the power consumption (sudo powertop)?
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1070561/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast