Thread: Connecting phone to ubuntu

Beans

Unhappy Connecting phone to ubuntu

I'm trying to connect my Samsung Droid Charge to my computer thats running Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm at my wits end trying to get this to work and have read many things saying to do different things..

Ive tryed bitpim and lots of settings on my phone.
    Turning on USB debugging and Unknown sources on and off, but nothing seems to work.

I really need some help getting this to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Connecting phone to ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeX View Post
    I'm trying to connect my Samsung Droid Charge to my computer thats running Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm at my wits end trying to get this to work and have read many things saying to do different things..

Ive tryed bitpim and lots of settings on my phone.
    Turning on USB debugging and Unknown sources on and off, but nothing seems to work.

I really need some help getting this to work.
    I have been dealing with the same problems, my Samsung is older, a SCH-R355C Straight Talk provider, prepay plan.
    The providers will sometimes block some of the capabilities of their phone version, to keep the user chained to the provider.
    Also, apparently, some mobile phones work better with Ubuntu, than others.
    For most phones to PC connect they have to have an SD micro memory card inserted (max. is 16GB) for many phones.
    When the power/data cable is plugged in from phone to usb the phone will say: Connected To PC.
    Ubuntu 12.04 does not see the phone/sd card as a USB mass storage device or as a modem. The software would have to have exact info to interface with Ubuntu.
    Simple solution is to buy an SD micro to USB converter ($8-$9 at PC/Phone stores), which Ubuntu can read.
    If you find a better solution please e-mail me at bavarianph@gmail.com
    The rest, I hope should work