Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Now I have read all 26 pages of this topic and people seemed to be able to dual-boot windows and ubuntu with UEFI on 12.04 or 12.10 beta.

If I install windows first then ubuntu 12.10 installer cannot detect windows. If I install ubuntu first, then windows installer does not allow to install to the same disk. I have installed new SSD instead of HDD and would like to use it for dual-boot.

If I create partition table with GParted first (like shown in many tutorials), still windows does not want to use this disk.

When booting from DVD or USB in UEFI mode at first I can see "Secure boot not enabled" message. I am using latest BIOS.

Does anybody have any ideas what to do next?

Beans

Virx: first of, Welcome to Hell

I really am not sure about this but a large chunk of my problems started when I updated to the latest Bios too (212). I have had Ubuntu installed before, screen working and all (you can see my insane rantings above on my current situation) but after various mishaps, all my fault btw, I had to reinstall. At the same time a friend of min suggested upgrading Bios too.

Now I am in no way sure - but it may be the common culprit here, or it may be that I am trying to find a good culprit. But I get the same "Secure boot not enabled" message just before Grub.

Like I said, not much help - but perhaps something?

Also I found this it may not do you any real good but I thought I should try it out later and it might help with your problems
    http://webent.altervista.org/2012/09...enbook-ux32vd/
    Last edited by ohyran; November 28th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.

Beans

thx ohyran,
    My BIOS is also
    Version 212
    VBIOS Version 2137.I14UX3.006
    EC Version 204U140001

I am going to let the notebook be used for few days, then try instructions from that article.

Beans

What battery life are you guys getting running Ubuntu on the UX32VD?

Looking at this page (http://www.linlap.com/asus_ux32vd) it's saying to expect 4-4.5 hours, but I'm only getting around 2-2.5 hours. Something is definitely wrong here.

Beans

After some random fumbling I've managed to get it going. The Xubuntu installation sticks, it has yet not totally crashed and the boot doesn't freeze up completely.

I can't swear what I did is what is required, whether its a combination or if its just black magic or something - but from what I can remember I lacked a xorg.conf file. At first I thought it had something to do with it being a intel graphics thing and that Nvidia kept the drivers hidden for when bumblebee started but that was just me.

So I used "sudo Xorg -configure" which told me that the server was already active for display 0 so I had to run "sudo stop lightdm" which soundly kicked me into some text-thing and from there copy the newly created file xorg.conf.new into /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This left me with a new but kinda empty xorg.conf file (since my screen still isn't recognized and runs on some weird resolution 1028x700-something).

I also disabled a power saving option in the Bios. I have no idea if this helped in any way - when I get the nerves for it I'll enable it again and see what happens.

I probably did allot of other things. But anyway now I can get it to start by adding nomodeset in grub (something that didn't work before). Not a blessed clue why that is though.

But that leaves me with the basicly empty xorg.conf file. Can someone please post a copy of theirs (if they have a Asus UX32VD without the Full HD screen) so I can see what differs and if I can change it. For the moment all attempts to change anything resolution-wise just ends with it telling me it doesn't now the gamma or something...

The final Edit:
    Screw this. Every other computer in the house runs Linux. For those of you who found this thread by googling the subject. Please please please remember to never mess with the factory partition. Have a back up so that if it fails (chances are good it will) you can restore windows at least.
    And listen carefully to what some people claim in the forums: many seem to think that if they got the computer running in Vesa thats the same as "it working". Its not. That's like claiming a Lamborghini is running without gas when youre pushing it down the road.
    Last edited by ohyran; December 3rd, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After my previous laptop died after almost 5 years of loyal (ubuntu powered) service, I recently acquired an UX32VD and installed ubuntu 12.10 on it. Information from the wiki and these forums was invaluable, so thank you all who contributed.

Typing this post on Chromium, WiFi on, Bluetooth off, usb mouse plugged in and minimum screen brightness, battery reports around 4 hours of remaining power. Oscillating between 8 and 12W in powertop. This changes to about 3h20 of remaining battery life from a near full charge while watching video.

Current unresolved issues :
    - Touchpad multi-touch gestures don't work : no two-finger scroll.
    - Even when relatively idle, the laptop heats up to about 50°C, then the fan kicks in for a short while (not very loudly), brings back the temperature to about 46°C, after which it heats up again, etc.
    - In Gnome Shell and Cinnamon, I'm getting very noticeable screen tearing when playing videos. This problem is completely absent with Unity. Funnily, I had the exact opposite problem with my previous laptop, where Unity had video tearing but not Shell/Cinnamon.

I wiped windows clean very shortly after booting up for the first time, so I'm not sure if some of these behaviors are flaws of the machine or ubuntu-specific.

If it might help anybody, and for my own future reference, I'll post a recap of everything I did (might be out of order) :

- Booted the installation from an USB key with Ubuntu 12.10 amd64 (F2 key for boot menu if I recall correctly)
    - Deleted all partitions but the EFI one (as I'm unsure of what exactly is its purpose, I preferred to leave it alone).
    - Chose a custom partition set up with / on the SSD (sdb), and /home (as well as /var, /tmp, /opt and swap) on the HDD (sda).
    - Ran all the updates after installation.
    - Followed the instructions in this post to install a new kernel that solved the nonfunctional brightness keys. There are other workarounds listed on the wiki, but they didn't work for me and/or didn't seem to have the proper max brightness.
    - Followed the instructions in this post to solve the hard drive clicking sound problem.
    - Followed the wiki recommendations on optimizing the SSD (adding discard,noatime,nodiratime to the /etc/fstab options)
    - As recommended on the wiki, followed instructions from this article to install Bumblebee.
    - Followed the instructions from this post to turn off the Nvidia card at boot.
    - Followed the instructions from this post to blacklist the card reader driver, in order to save battery power (I'm not using it).
    - Added xorg-edgers PPA in the hope of fixing the touchpad multi-touch, which it didn't, but it seemed to solve the occasional black screen or kernel panic at boot I previously encountered (completely unsure about this).
    Last edited by crypto178; December 4th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Beans

Nice that you got everything setup nicely.

As for the harddrive clicking sound (I was the one who wrote that post), the set options on resume-from-suspend doesn't seem to work properly here. I have to re-set it in terminal. Does it work on yours?

Another suggestion is to move the home folder to the SSD, and either create some folders (like Music, Downloads, Files etc) on another partition, then symlink these from your home folder. Or mount the old home as a subfolder of the new home dir. The advantage of doing this is that frequently accessed files like settings etc will be on the SSD, while larger files can be kept on the HD. This allows the hard drive to be able to spin down more frequently, and should save some power (and it makes the computer completely silent ). Seems to work well on my setup, and the setup isn't that hard (but it may screw up your system if you don't know what you are doing) Just create a home/username folder on the root partition, log out and login to terminal as root, copy the important files from your current home folder there (make sure permissions remain to your user), then edit fstab accordingly.

-EDIT- A wise thing to do is take a backup of the fstab, and copy, not move, the home folder. Then you can delete the files when everything is working, or revert back if not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crypto178 View Post
    After my previous laptop died after almost 5 years of loyal (ubuntu powered) service, I recently acquired an UX32VD and installed ubuntu 12.10 on it. Information from the wiki and these forums was invaluable, so thank you all who contributed.

Typing this post on Chromium, WiFi on, Bluetooth off, usb mouse plugged in and minimum screen brightness, battery reports around 4 hours of remaining power. Oscillating between 8 and 12W in powertop. This changes to about 3h20 of remaining battery life from a near full charge while watching video.

Current unresolved issues :
    - Touchpad multi-touch gestures don't work : no two-finger scroll.
    - Even when relatively idle, the laptop heats up to about 50°C, then the fan kicks in for a short while (not very loudly), brings back the temperature to about 46°C, after which it heats up again, etc.
    - In Gnome Shell and Cinnamon, I'm getting very noticeable screen tearing when playing videos. This problem is completely absent with Unity. Funnily, I had the exact opposite problem with my previous laptop, where Unity had video tearing but not Shell/Cinnamon.

I wiped windows clean very shortly after booting up for the first time, so I'm not sure if some of these behaviors are flaws of the machine or ubuntu-specific.

If it might help anybody, and for my own future reference, I'll post a recap of everything I did (might be out of order) :

- Booted the installation from an USB key with Ubuntu 12.10 amd64 (F2 key for boot menu if I recall correctly)
    - Deleted all partitions but the EFI one (as I'm unsure of what exactly is its purpose, I preferred to leave it alone).
    - Chose a custom partition set up with / on the SSD (sdb), and /home (as well as /var, /tmp, /opt and swap) on the HDD (sda).
    - Ran all the updates after installation.
    - Followed the instructions in this post to install a new kernel that solved the nonfunctional brightness keys. There are other workarounds listed on the wiki, but they didn't work for me and/or didn't seem to have the proper max brightness.
    - Followed the instructions in this post to solve the hard drive clicking sound problem.
    - Followed the wiki recommendations on optimizing the SSD (adding discard,noatime,nodiratime to the /etc/fstab options)
    - As recommended on the wiki, followed instructions from this article to install Bumblebee.
    - Followed the instructions from this post to turn off the Nvidia card at boot.
    - Followed the instructions from this post to blacklist the card reader driver, in order to save battery power (I'm not using it).
    - Added xorg-edgers PPA in the hope of fixing the touchpad multi-touch, which it didn't, but it seemed to solve the occasional black screen or kernel panic at boot I previously encountered (completely unsure about this).
    I'm on 212, and have multitouch (2 finger scroll, 3 finger move windows, 2 finger tap to rightclick etc.).

My temperature is around 46 degrees also, but doesn't heat up - my thought is that it might be the internal harddrive adding that extra heat ? (im using a SSD).

Powertop reports 10.5 - 12.5 watts (I havent disabled the nvidia card).

I'm on kernel 3.6.9-030609-generic now, and its quite stable.

Code:
    kernel cmdline: pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1 nmi_watchdog=0
    Only thing left is X not always starting up correctly - sometimes takes a few reboots / kill X, restart lightdm to bring it up. Looks like some race condition to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SveinT View Post
    Nice that you got everything setup nicely.

As for the harddrive clicking sound (I was the one who wrote that post), the set options on resume-from-suspend doesn't seem to work properly here. I have to re-set it in terminal. Does it work on yours?
    I haven't had this issue, it seems to be working for me.

Actually I was typing this response after resuming from suspend when the laptop abruptly shut down. Oops. Seems like there is an issue there. In any case, I don't use suspend very often but I'll do more testing.

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I'm on 212, and have multitouch (2 finger scroll, 3 finger move windows, 2 finger tap to rightclick etc.).

My temperature is around 46 degrees also, but doesn't heat up - my thought is that it might be the internal harddrive adding that extra heat ? (im using a SSD).

Powertop reports 10.5 - 12.5 watts (I havent disabled the nvidia card).

I'm on kernel 3.6.9-030609-generic now, and its quite stable.

Code:
    kernel cmdline: pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1 nmi_watchdog=0
    Only thing left is X not always starting up correctly - sometimes takes a few reboots / kill X, restart lightdm to bring it up. Looks like some race condition to me.
    Thanks for the information, I'll try some tweaking to get the touchpad working right.

And yes, I do also encounter the problem of X not starting up correctly from time to time, I'm hoping/assuming it'll get sorted out in future updates
    Last edited by crypto178; December 11th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xicosm View Post
    I have problems with connected usb devices ... what I have to do is put to sleep and wake up to get it working.
    I do also had this kind of problem.
    i solved it changing bios option.
    i don't remember the option, but only 2 are refering to usb, so it should be easy to try.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast