Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasb View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix the problem with the screen going blank everytime I turn on or close the lid of my ux32a? It starts working when I open and close the lid a few times. I am running ubuntu 12.04 and I would prefer not to use the new unsupported alpha because my girlfriend is going to use this computer. any help would be much apprechiated
    Your best option is probably using the backported quantal kernel - it fixes the suspend/resume problems.

http://unbrokenspectrum.wordpress.co...ls-on-precise/ should get you started.

Being on quantal, i can say its pretty stable for an alpha version - no big problems at all (just dont dist-upgrade if it means alot of packages end up being removed - just a hint

Beans

I seem to have screwed some stuff up when setting up my ubuntu dual boot. Would anyone happen to have a copy of the EFI related stuff on the Recovery partition?

Beans

Hi,

I check for enabling ALPM on a UX32A, but on wiki page i don't see if it's work fine.

Anybody try it ? If yes can you comfirm it's thats work fine

Thx

bios info : UX32A.206
    kernel info : 3.2.0-27-generic-pae #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 15:06:05 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Edit :

I tested and that's work fine

Power before ALPM enabled : 11.71 W, σ=0.21
    Power after ALPM enabled : 11.10 W, σ=0.35
    Last edited by Bozoo; August 6th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Beans

Has anyone here been able to get HDMI audio to be working ? I've not installed Ubuntu on this machine yet, but I'm going to right now. On openSUSE I see that the HDMI audio device is not being listed in the output of aplay -l or in the sound settings. Although I see the Pantherpoint HDMI audio being listed under /proc/asound/card0/codec#3

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
     0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                          HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7918000 irq 48

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#3 
    Codec: Intel PantherPoint HDMI
    Address: 3
    AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
    Vendor Id: 0x80862806
    Subsystem Id: 0x80860101
    Revision Id: 0x100000
    No Modem Function Group found
    Default PCM:
        rates [0x0]:
        bits [0x0]:
        formats [0x0]:
    Default Amp-In caps: N/A
    Default Amp-Out caps: N/A
    GPIO: io=0, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=0, wake=0
    Node 0x02 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x6611: 8-Channels Digital
      Converter: stream=0, channel=0
      Digital: Enabled
      Digital category: 0x0
      PCM:
        rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
        bits [0x1e]: 16 20 24 32
        formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
      Power states:  D0 D3 EPSS
      Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
    Node 0x03 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x6611: 8-Channels Digital
      PCM:
    Node 0x04 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x6611: 8-Channels Digital
      PCM:
    Node 0x05 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40778d: 8-Channels Digital Amp-Out CP
      Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
      Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x80]
      Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
      Pin Default 0x58560010: [N/A] Digital Out at Int HDMI
        Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
        DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0
      Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
      Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
      Connection: 1
         0x02
    Node 0x06 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40778d: 8-Channels Digital Amp-Out CP
      Control: name="HDMI/DP,pcm=3 Jack", index=0, device=0
      Control: name="IEC958 Playback Con Mask", index=0, device=0
      Control: name="IEC958 Playback Pro Mask", index=0, device=0
      Control: name="IEC958 Playback Default", index=0, device=0
      Control: name="IEC958 Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
      Control: name="ELD", index=0, device=3
      Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
      Pin Default 0x18560020: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
        DefAssociation = 0x2, Sequence = 0x0
      Pin-ctls: 0x00:
      Unsolicited: tag=01, enabled=1
         0x03
    Node 0x07 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40778d: 8-Channels Digital Amp-Out CP
      Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x80]
      Pin Default 0x58560030: [N/A] Digital Out at Int HDMI
        DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x0
      Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
      Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
         0x04
    Node 0x08 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxdude View Post
    Has anyone here been able to get HDMI audio to be working ? I've not installed Ubuntu on this machine yet, but I'm going to right now. On openSUSE I see that the HDMI audio device is not being listed in the output of aplay -l or in the sound settings. Although I see the Pantherpoint HDMI audio being listed under /proc/asound/card0/codec#3

works fine here:

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Beans

looks for me the same as for madmack with linux mint 13

Beans

I have two potentially connected problems with my UX32A, which is supposedly identical to UX31A except it has a smaller ssd & a 500gb hdd. I can't boot without nomodeset or i915.modeset=0 in GRUB (I get a blank screen), and I can't change the brightness using any of the discussed methods (indicator-brightness, xrandr, or /sys/class/backlight).

Under /sys/class/backlight I have acpi_video0, whereas others seem to have intel. If I use acpi_backlight=vendor in GRUB, under /sys/class/backlight I get something beginning with asus (which I have failed to write down, but I can check this if it matters) . For both, I can manipulate the contents of the actual_brightness file using echo, but they have no effect on the screen brightness.

I'm running 12.04, and I've tested three kernels (current default kernel, 3.4.6, and 3.5.0-9), none of which allowed me to change brightness. When I boot to windows I am able to change brightness however, so I know the unit is not faulty.

Does anyone have any ideas, or has anyone encountered anything similar?

Beans

Hi everyone!
    So, yesterday I got a new Asus UX32VD-R400V, which I was eager to get Ubuntu running on. Well, about 24h later, I've got it running. I thought I'd share my thoughts on what worked, what didn't work, and what took me about 8hours to figure out.

A working install of Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit to the Asus Zenbook UX32VD

First important notice: I tried installing from a Xubuntu 12.04 live usb. This did not work, and caused me hours of frustration. It seems this distribution wasn't packaged with an EFI-aware kernel. If the usb does not boot from the UEFI:-prefixed option in the Laptop boot selection screen, I don't think you'll get a bootable installation, unless you remove the EFI partition completely and install GRUB there, or something.

Second important notice: After installing this way, I can't boot windows 7 from grub. However, by pressing escape as the computer boots, to get into the boot device chooser, I can still choose the windows startup manager, and get into windows 7 just fine.

• So, first off I wrote a live USB of Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit to a USB memory, using Pendrive Linux's Universal USB installer.
    • Next, I booted the laptop and pressed ESC to get the boot menu to appear. Next, I selected the UEFI: USB Drive option. It is important to get the laptop to boot the USB drive in UEFI mode (by choosing the option preceded by "UEFI: "), so that the installer recognizes that the laptop uses UEFI.
    • If everything works out, this boots a menu where you can choose to boot the live usb, install Ubuntu or exit. I went with booting the Live usb.
    • After the live Ubuntu session had started, I started the installation program from the left side bar (after connecting to my wifi, to get updates for the installation).
    • Next, the partitioning options. I went with installing / to the SSD found at /dev/sdb. This SSD has 32GB of space. The 500GB main drive (/dev/sda) has a number of partitions. /dev/sda1 is the EFI boot partition, which I did not want to harm. The rest of the HD was occupied mostly by a number of Windows partitions. One was the main OS disk (with a size of about 130GB, if I recall correctly). One is a "Data" drive, which was almost empty, and had a space of about 200GB. Finally, there was a recovery partition, which was used up to about 12GB, and had a total size of 24GB. I went with the following partitioning:
      I shrunk the partition where the OS was installed to 80GB.
      I removed the DATA partition.
      I left the Recovery partition untouched (in case it might be used in the future for any recovery).
      Next up, I divided the new free space into three partitions.

First, and first on the disk, I put a 353GB ext4 partition. Next, I put a 36GB ext4 partition. Finally, I put 4GB of SWAP. On the ext4 partitions, I mounted /home and /usr/local.

This gave me the following partitions:
      /dev/sda1 EFI partition 200MB
      /dev/sda2 Unknown/unused space 134MB
      /dev/sda3 Windows 7 drive 80GB
      /dev/sda4 /home 353GB
      /dev/sda6 /usr/local 36GB
      /dev/sda7 linux-swap 4GB
      /dev/sda5 Microsoft windows recovery environment 27GB

/dev/sdb1 / 32GB

After deciding on these partitions, I choose to put the bootloader in /dev/sda. This was important, since the 500GB HD is the disk that is booted first by the laptop BIOS. This boot disk order cannot be changed in the UX32VD bios. Therefore, the boot loader must be set to /dev/sda
    • Next, I went through the rest of the installer normally, and could reboot.
    • After rebooting, GRUB2 came up instead of the Windows loading screen, and I could start Ubuntu. I could also start Windows 7 from that menu.
    • Once I was logged in, most things worked. However, none of the function keys did. Therefore, I installed the Quantal 3.5.0.9 kernel from the ubuntu-x-swat/q-lts-backports ppa. However, this did not suffice either. I also had to patch the asus-wmi file using the instructions from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=49. Afterwards, all function keys except those for the screen backlight worked.
    • I installed xbacklight to control the backlight in some way.
    • I also installed bumblebee from the bumblebee ppa. This worked all right, and bbswitch indicated that the Nvidia GPU was turned off. However, optirun does not work (I cannot use the Nvidia GPU). I think this is related to Kernel 3.5 not working with bumblebee.

This is basically what I did to get Ubuntu 12.04 working on my UX32VD.

My biggest mistake was using a live usb which wasn't able to recognize UEFI. I spent hours trying to get a new UEFI entry into the UEFI boot manager, before eventually giving up and just installing Ubuntu in UEFI mode, instead of Xubuntu.

As for what works, I haven't tested much extensively. I do know that
    *The HDMI port works for video and audio

What doesn't work
    • The Nvidia GPU does not work (at least with Bumblebee)
      (Trying to run "optirun firefox" crashes X completely)
    • Right clicking by clicking on the lower right hand side of the touchpad does not work (right clicks work by two-finger pressing)
    • The computer stalls at the login screen for about 30s after booting if the power is not connected (As has been mentioned previously in this thread)
    • The suspend is finicky. If the computer hasn't been given enough time to suspend, the computer will not start up properly. The keyboard backlight will start up, but the screen stays black. Perhaps related to this, the bootup can stall on the "Loading ubuntu"/dots boot up screen, after such problems have occurred. Starting in recovery mode, and then starting normally (Which seems to "clean" the boot or something), seems to let the computer boot.
    • Sometimes after these problems (perhaps also unrelated to other problems), the backlight cannot be changed with xbacklight. xrandr gives an error message about not being able to detect the gamma level, just showing one resolution (the fullHD one). Getting a clean reboot fixes that problem.
    • I can't boot windows 7 from grub, but I can if I boot it via the BIOS boot device chooser.
    Last edited by MirdautasVras; August 12th, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added more details

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MirdautasVras View Post
    Hi everyone!
    So, yesterday I got a new Asus UX32VD-R400V, which I was eager to get Ubuntu running on. Well, about 24h later, I've got it running. I thought I'd share my thoughts on what worked, what didn't work, and what took me about 8hours to figure out.

A working install of Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit to the Asus Zenbook UX32VD

First important notice: I tried installing from a Xubuntu 12.04 live usb. This did not work, and caused me hours of frustration. It seems this distribution wasn't packaged with an EFI-aware kernel. If the usb does not boot from the UEFI:-prefixed option in the Laptop boot selection screen, I don't think you'll get a bootable installation, unless you remove the EFI partition completely and install GRUB there, or something.

• So, first off I wrote a live USB of Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit to a USB memory, using Pendrive Linux's Universal USB installer.
    • Next, I booted the laptop and pressed ESC to get the boot menu to appear. Next, I selected the UEFI: USB Drive option. It is important to get the laptop to boot the USB drive in UEFI mode (by choosing the option preceded by "UEFI: "), so that the installer recognizes that the laptop uses UEFI.
    • If everything works out, this boots a menu where you can choose to boot the live usb, install Ubuntu or exit. I went with booting the Live usb.
    • After the live Ubuntu session had started, I started the installation program from the left side bar (after connecting to my wifi, to get updates for the installation).
    • Next, the partitioning options. I went with installing / to the SSD found at /dev/sdb. This SSD has 32GB of space. The 500GB main drive (/dev/sda) has a number of partitions. /dev/sda1 is the EFI boot partition, which I did not want to harm. The rest of the HD was occupied mostly by a number of Windows partitions. One was the main OS disk (with a size of about 130GB, if I recall correctly). One is a "Data" drive, which was almost empty, and had a space of about 200GB. Finally, there was a recovery partition, which was used up to about 12GB, and had a total size of 24GB. I went with the following partitioning:
      I shrunk the partition where the OS was installed to 80GB.
      I removed the DATA partition.
      I left the Recovery partition untouched (in case it might be used in the future for any recovery).
      Next up, I divided the new free space into three partitions.

First, and first on the disk, I put a 353GB ext4 partition. Next, I put a 36GB ext4 partition. Finally, I put 4GB of SWAP. On the ext4 partitions, I mounted /home and /usr/local.

This gave me the following partitions:
      /dev/sda1 EFI partition 200MB
      /dev/sda2 Unknown/unused space 134MB
      /dev/sda3 Windows 7 drive 80GB
      /dev/sda4 /home 353GB
      /dev/sda6 /usr/local 36GB
      /dev/sda7 linux-swap 4GB
      /dev/sda5 Microsoft windows recovery environment 27GB

/dev/sdb1 / 32GB

After deciding on these partitions, I choose to put the bootloader in /dev/sda. This was important, since the 500GB HD is the disk that is booted first by the laptop BIOS. This boot disk order cannot be changed in the UX32VD bios. Therefore, the boot loader must be set to /dev/sda
    • Next, I went through the rest of the installer normally, and could reboot.
    • After rebooting, GRUB2 came up instead of the Windows loading screen, and I could start Ubuntu. I could also start Windows 7 from that menu.
    • Once I was logged in, most things worked. However, none of the function keys did. Therefore, I installed the Quantal 3.5.0.9 kernel from the ubuntu-x-swat/q-lts-backports ppa. However, this did not suffice either. I also had to patch the asus-wmi file using the instructions from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=49. Afterwards, all function keys except those for the screen backlight worked.
    • I installed xbacklight to control the backlight in some way.
    • I also installed bumblebee from the bumblebee ppa. This worked all right, and bbswitch indicated that the Nvidia GPU was turned off. However, optirun does not work (I cannot use the Nvidia GPU). I think this is related to Kernel 3.5 not working with bumblebee.

This is basically what I did to get Ubuntu 12.04 working on my UX32VD.

My biggest mistake was using a live usb which wasn't able to recognize UEFI. I spent hours trying to get a new UEFI entry into the UEFI boot manager, before eventually giving up and just installing Ubuntu in UEFI mode, instead of Xubuntu.

As for what works, I haven't tested much extensively. I do know that
    *The HDMI port works for video and audio

What doesn't work
    • The Nvidia GPU does not work (at least with Bumblebee)
      (Trying to run "optirun firefox" crashes X completely)
    • Right clicking by clicking on the lower right hand side of the touchpad does not work (right clicks work by two-finger pressing)
    • The computer stalls at the login screen for about 30s after booting if the power is not connected (As has been mentioned previously in this thread)
    • The suspend is finicky. If the computer hasn't been given enough time to suspend, the computer will not start up properly. The keyboard backlight will start up, but the screen stays black. Perhaps related to this, the bootup can stall on the "Loading ubuntu"/dots boot up screen, after such problems have occurred. Starting in recovery mode, and then starting normally (Which seems to "clean" the boot or something), seems to let the computer boot.
    • Sometimes after these problems (perhaps also unrelated to other problems), the backlight cannot be changed with xbacklight. xrandr gives an error message about not being able to detect the gamma level, just showing one resolution (the fullHD one). Getting a clean reboot fixes that problem.
    I just switched to the 3.6-rc1 kernel, there the suspend/resume, and hotkeys work out of the box (brightness on Fn keys still mia).

On current Ubuntu 12.10 (all packages updated today):

* Rightclick in the lower half touchpad works
    * Bumblebee still doesnt work
    * login screen doesn't stall
    * resume makes background picture disappear, but it will come back if you reapply wallpaper (or use something like Wallch to rotate them anyways)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by SveinT View Post
    As stated in the PPA, they're already aware of it and the cause (something in MESA?), so you will just have to wait for them to sort it out.
    This is fixed with the updates from this morning.

Additionally, the problem with hanging login screen when on battery is also fixed now.

Great!

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast