Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxdude View Post
    For folks booting Ubuntu (or actually any 3.5+ kernel) off an SSD and have not disabled the asus-wmi module, you'll be seeing the kernel panics (the ones with the caps lock key flashing).

I've found a workaround which seems to work for me. Type this in a terminal:
    Code:
    echo "blacklist btusb" | sudo tee /etc/blacklist-btusb.conf
    echo "/sbin/modprobe btusb" | sudo tee /etc/rc.local
    This basically disables btusb during the modprobe stage in the bootup, and insteads inserts the module at the very end of the bootup.

FYI - btusb is a Bluetooth USB module, which seems to be having a race condition in timing when booting off SSD causing kernel panics.

Let me know if this works or does not work for you.

All I could find was based on the info in the bug report #1041883, one of the folks mentioned about the asus_wmi_rfkill_init() function which seems to be handing the RFKILL switch i.e Fn+F2 key (for Wifi, BT, 3G, etc.). So I tried disabling few modules during the bootup corresponding to these and finally found out a very highly likely module causing the problem.

More info here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3/comments/112

Thanks a lot anyway but it didn't work

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diego851 View Post
    Thanks a lot anyway but it didn't work
    Just to confirm, could you try disabling Bluetooth in the BIOS ?

Press F12 during bootup and I believe the setting is Located Under Advanced Settings menu.

Beans

There was a typo in the previous set of commands - it should instead be:

Code:
    echo "blacklist btusb" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-btusb.conf
    In other words, the file blacklist-btusb.conf should be inside the /etc/modprobe.d directory and not just /etc

Beans

There was a typo in the previous set of commands - it should instead be:

Code:
    echo "blacklist btusb" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-btusb.conf
    In other words, the file blacklist-btusb.conf should be inside the /etc/modprobe.d directory and not just /etc
    I thank you for your help but i can't anymore try your suggestion for now cause i reinstalled Quantal on the hard disk and now boots without problems! But i'm interested in using the ssd, it was very faster than the HD; I will let you know when I will try it!
    thanks again

Beans

BTW, does anyone know if the iwlwifi and Wireless-N mode issue has been fixed in the Quantal kernel ?

With 54 Mbps G-mode the effective throughput is low especially when I want to transfer data over the network between devices in my home network

Beans

BTW, does anyone know if the iwlwifi and Wireless-N mode issue has been fixed in the Quantal kernel ?

With 54 Mbps G-mode the effective throughput is low especially when I want to transfer data over the network between devices in my home network
    I am running quantal with latest updates, and the wifi-n doesn't look like fixeed to me, I have timespans of multiple seconds where no information is exchanged when using an n wifi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    I am running quantal with latest updates, and the wifi-n doesn't look like fixeed to me, I have timespans of multiple seconds where no information is exchanged when using an n wifi
    I think this issue has gotten a whole lot better, I seldom have any problems. Before this would happen all the time, and G was the only stable wireless to use.

Beans

Since the issue is not Ubuntu centric, but rather a problem with the upstream kernel and iwlwifi driver - I tried with openSUSE 12.2 running a 3.6 kernel and I observed that although the connection looks stable - the "Tx Excessive Retries" and "Invalid Misc" counters keeps increasing rapidly.

@screemo - Is that what you experience as well ?

Beans

Hello all, Im hoping for some help with the function f5+f6 keys.

I have gotten them working by using the script here:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...light_Method_2

But the problem is that when I go to adjust brightness up it is extremely slow when doing so, but brightness down behaves just as expected..

Also I was wondering if there were better drivers for the trackpad available? because the multi-touch gestures can sometimes be unpredictable..

I am running 12.1 and other than that everything seems to work perfectly out of the box..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

I'm considering buying a UX31A (even though the 4GB of ram might be short for Java programming).

One of the interesting features announced is the very fast sleep-to-wake time of these ultrabooks. In ubuntu, does this work, or is it just in Windows? ie:

1) What is the average start-up time?
    2) Do you power off or hibernate/suspend? What's the wake-up time?

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast