Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    Installing the current quantal development build + asus-wmi patch + bumblebee get the following working:

* VGA
    * all functionbuttons F1-F12 function buttons except F5 and F6
    * suspend and resume
    * brightness changing
    * USB Ethernet adapter

The following does not work:

* Actually using the discrete GPU for 3D rendering (No-one has been able to do that yet, it seems)
    * HDMI (cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status keeps reporting 'disconnecting')
    * Changing brightness through F5 and F6
    * Wifi statusled (it often gives the opposite status), but it seems controllable through the drivers, so thats a good start.
    * Changing touchpad sensitivy, Acceleration does work though

Taking into account that bumblebee should turns off the nvidia card the system consumes around 16Watts at maximum brightness. Will try to tune this further with instructions on the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime)

Edit: After enabling ALPM (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagementALPM) and adding the following to the kernel parameters: pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 the system pulls only 10-11 Watts. A fair improvement. I did not use 'i915.semaphores=1' because this gave me a nice kernel panic at every boot.

A description of this parameter:

All of this was tested at 100% brightness with both bluetooth and wifi radio on

Seems like something desirable! (source: intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q4.html)

Some powertop tunables:

http://i.imgur.com/CXzTu.png

Edit 2: Re-adding i915.semaphores=1 now works, for some reason I get o more kernel panics, furthermore I disabled the NMI watchdog with nmi_watchdog=0 as per powertop's suggestion. Any thoughts on how to permanently accomplish the other suggestions powertop gives?

Edit 3: When plugging in a HDMI cable i get the following in syslog:

This might be a bug, but as I am running alpha software, would there possibly be any place to report this?

I understand something goes wrong with the handshake between my monitor and the graphics card, might try this on another monitor.

If there are any developers in need of testing, please contact me
    I just tried plugging HDMI to my Benq 24fpw, it works but only on 1080p resolution.

I just used the "display-thing" in gnome (uses xrandr i think)

Don't you get any output?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I just tried plugging HDMI to my Benq 24fpw, it works but only on 1080p resolution.

I just used the "display-thing" in gnome (uses xrandr i think)

Don't you get any output?
    On my Samsung monitor (Not near it right now, will post type later) I get these EDID errors, so it might be a quirk related to that monitor (it works on windows and OSX though). I have a Sony Bravia KDL-26U2000 TV here which detects a PC is connected (and ubuntu also detects the monitor) but then displays nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bambam23 View Post
    Except for wifi. i really have issues connecting to the AP if its set to b/g/n with auto-channel selection. if i set it to b/g with fixed channel
    Any new ideas how to overcome this issue? I've tried to setup 11n_disable=1 but sadly didn't work.

Beans

For those having problems with white menus in the tray:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...84&postcount=3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    I have currently installed the latest development version of quantal. With the asus-wmi patch all functionbuttons work (except brightness of course). Wifitoggling might give a kernal panic.

Bumblebee to turn off the discrete GPU, battery life is still far from optimal.

VGA Output works as expected, HDMI not however, I am using nvidia-current

Edit Vga does not work after all, might have to with the fact that I am not using nouveau, will test now.

Edit2: @Screemo, palm detection is indeed not working, quite a must if you ask me

Edit 3: In case people have no files in /sys/class/drm/ (or only a 'version' file), you are probably using nouveau, you will need the nvidia drivers. On ubuntu 12.04 + xorg-edgers/x-swat + mainline quantal 3.5 rc6/7, these do not seem to work on my UX32VD
    It seems like this fixes some of the palm detection:

xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Synaptics Palm Dimensions" 4 100

Apparently the gpointing-device-settings app does not support lowerimg them so much its noticable on the Elan touchpad.

Found the tip here: http://superuser.com/questions/27742...r-ubuntu-11-04

EDIT: xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Synaptics Palm Dimensions" 4 1 seems alot more effective

source: http://ubuntuguide.net/multi-touch-ubuntu-12-04-hp
    Last edited by screemo; July 17th, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: better values

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    It seems like this fixes some of the palm detection:

xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Synaptics Palm Dimensions" 4 100

Apparently the gpointing-device-settings app does not support lowerimg them so much its noticable on the Elan touchpad.

Found the tip here: http://superuser.com/questions/27742...r-ubuntu-11-04

EDIT: xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Synaptics Palm Dimensions" 4 1 seems alot more effective

source: http://ubuntuguide.net/multi-touch-ubuntu-12-04-hp
    I can confirm this works, however, scrolling is still possible when a palm is detected.

Are you able to use 3 finger gestures? and things like pinch and zoom?

I am currently experiencing odd behaviour: When I scroll using 2 fingers (which works fine by the way) and I accidentally touch the touchpad with a third finger my current focused window becomes un-maximized.
    Last edited by peter rus; July 17th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

Got it! In addition to screemo's command you will need synclient PalmDetect=1

So to enable proper palmdetection:

synclient PalmDetect=1
    xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Synaptics Palm Dimensions" 4 1
    This is probably not preserved over reboots

We should seriously think about updating the wiki with all our findings

Furtermore, I wonder if these things should be reported as bugs somewhere. Anyone with a definitive answer on that?

I can say, that in the short time I have tested the palmdetection it works absolutely proper!
    Last edited by peter rus; July 17th, 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Beans

We should seriously think about updating the wiki with all our findings
    Yes please. It would save people like me the time to go through each and every post of this thread to extract the maybe-valuable information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x_O View Post
    Any new ideas how to overcome this issue? I've tried to setup 11n_disable=1 but sadly didn't work.
    sorry for my late report. for me disabling n networks is working really good, i'm getting almost the entire bandwidth possible in b/g networks, respectivly to the encryption overhead.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bambam23 View Post
    sorry for my late report. for me disabling n networks is working really good, i'm getting almost the entire bandwidth possible in b/g networks, respectivly to the encryption overhead.
    This may be really different issue, but i did this bit. Didn't work.

Code:
    sudo rmmod iwlwifi && sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    this what I've got (AP is not manageable by me)

Code:
    Cell 24 - Address: 01:1b:1e:26:2b:85
           Channel:60
           Frequency:5.3 GHz (Channel 60)
           Quality=52/70  Signal level=-58 dBm  
           Encryption key:off
           ESSID:"NetworkAP"
           Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
                     36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
           Mode:Master
           Extra:tsf=000000931740a591
           Extra: Last beacon: 2056ms ago
    Last edited by x_O; July 17th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast