Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Sorted out the touchpad problem, turned out to be a really simple matter of tweaking the settings a little bit.
    Adding xorg-edgers to software sources as suggested on the wiki enabled four-finger gestures. To enable two-finger scrolling and three-finger gestures :
    I went to system settings > mouse/touchpad settings, and enabled two finger scrolling in the options.
    Then, I ran
    synclient ClickFinger3=0
    synclient TapButton3=0
    to enable three-finger gestures.
    (and set these to run at session startup)
    I think this might only be relevant to Unity users.

Beans

Hi guys!

I recently installed Kubuntu, just for the hell of it and I feel as if nothing really works as it should on my UX32VD.

Had Ubuntu installed earlier and installed the 3.7.0.4-generic kernel, after that, all hell broke loose which is why I installed Kubuntu.

Well, on to my real problem. I feel as if my computer gets A LOT hotter now than earlier, the fans run at full speed and the sensors-command show 59C. On top of that the graphics are really large, all the text, everything from the login prompt to the text in the title-bars is very large, something like 24pt.

I have tried the 3.7.0.999-generic kernel and the 3.6.9-030609 kernel, both with the same heating and graphics issues.

Added the xorg-edgers ppa to try update graphics drivers but to no avail.

When checking the dmesg I see a line stating:
    Code:
    init: udev-fallback-graphics main process (373) terminated with status 1
    which, well, doesn't feel right.

So does anyone else have any experience dealing with these kinds of issues? And does anyone know what the most reliable way is to check the temperature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I don't know if I installed an update that caused this but I cannot get my laptop to sleep anymore, consequently not able to access anything.

Anyone had this problem that could suggest anything?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by instant View Post
    Hi guys!

I recently installed Kubuntu, just for the hell of it and I feel as if nothing really works as it should on my UX32VD.

Had Ubuntu installed earlier and installed the 3.7.0.4-generic kernel, after that, all hell broke loose which is why I installed Kubuntu.

Well, on to my real problem. I feel as if my computer gets A LOT hotter now than earlier, the fans run at full speed and the sensors-command show 59C. On top of that the graphics are really large, all the text, everything from the login prompt to the text in the title-bars is very large, something like 24pt.

I have tried the 3.7.0.999-generic kernel and the 3.6.9-030609 kernel, both with the same heating and graphics issues.

Added the xorg-edgers ppa to try update graphics drivers but to no avail.

When checking the dmesg I see a line stating:
    Code:
    init: udev-fallback-graphics main process (373) terminated with status 1
    which, well, doesn't feel right.

So does anyone else have any experience dealing with these kinds of issues? And does anyone know what the most reliable way is to check the temperature?
    I've had a similar problem - for me it was related to nouveau vs bbswitch/bumblebeed/nvidia-current(from xorg-edgers).

Solution was to get rid of it all, and install these versions:

Code:
    ii  bbswitch-dkms                             0.4.2-2~quantalppa1                        all          Interface for toggling the power on nVidia Optimus video cards
    ii  bumblebee                                 3.0.1-3~quantalppa2                        amd64        nVidia Optimus support
    ii  bumblebee-nvidia                          3.0.1-3~quantalppa2                        amd64        nVidia Optimus support using the proprietary NVIDIA driver
    ii  nvidia-current                            304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu2              amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    Kernel 3.7.0-7-generic, on raring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Hi everybody,

I just finished my migration from my old Lenovo T61 (graphics-card died) to my new UX32VD. And thanks to this tread I managed to install it to my liking.

The only thing really bothering me was the banding, but I managed to fix that as well.

For those looking to fix the banding, adding the following ppa and upgrade to the new packages is what fix everything for me:
    Code:
    ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    so from a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo reboot

Beans
    Distro

Update to my last message:
    Everything seems to work like it should, no (24 bit colour) banding to be seen, all fn brightness keys are working including on screen notifications, no black screen on start, ... -> except (always an exception ) when I disconnect the power en reconnect it I get an kernel panic and the asus freezes.

Any suggestions what I can do to fix this?
    (Kernel 3.7.0-7-generic)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubadubdub View Post
    Update to my last message:
    Everything seems to work like it should, no (24 bit colour) banding to be seen, all fn brightness keys are working including on screen notifications, no black screen on start, ... -> except (always an exception ) when I disconnect the power en reconnect it I get an kernel panic and the asus freezes.

Any suggestions what I can do to fix this?
    (Kernel 3.7.0-7-generic)
    So brightness up/down is working for real now?

Regarding the freeze, do you get any useful information from dmesg?
    (I'm running the same kernel on raring and don't see this issue)

Btw, do you have any issues with usb devices on your system? Mine are rarely recognised (almost never) and dmesg shows nothing about the usb device has been inserted..

EDIT: I can confirm that Fn+brightness up/down works now !

EDIT2: USB devices are working again after I set USB XHCI to DISABLED in the bios. Previously the would only work if they were inserted prior to boot.
    Last edited by screemo; January 1st, 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

sorry for the late reply/update.

Well the problem with my laptop freezing when re-plugging the power left me no choice. I ditched the xorg-edgers ppa.

I went back to kernel 3.5.0-22 and I must say that I am glad because now the only thing not working are the brightness keys.

What is working is:
    • No more banding
    • primusrun & optirun running like a charm
    • usb devices working with power plugged in and on battery
    • connecting detaching external monitor via mini vga with no problems
    • longer battery life 5-6 hours
    • no problem connecting power when computer is running (with kernel 3.7 everytime a kernel panic)

And for what's not working (the brightness keys) a workable sollution. I am running Gnome Shell and I added the following extension:
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...tness-control/

I enabled Intel SNA acceleration:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...ration-in.html

I also installed Bumblebee and Primus and the Nvidia Experimental drivers 310:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/primu...search-results
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/use-n...ivers-310.html

So for now I am a happy camper.

Beans

Talking Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by Rubadubdub View Post
    sorry for the late reply/update.

Well the problem with my laptop freezing when re-plugging the power left me no choice. I ditched the xorg-edgers ppa.

I went back to kernel 3.5.0-22 and I must say that I am glad because now the only thing not working are the brightness keys.

What is working is:
    • No more banding
    • primusrun & optirun running like a charm
    • usb devices working with power plugged in and on battery
    • connecting detaching external monitor via mini vga with no problems
    • longer battery life 5-6 hours
    • no problem connecting power when computer is running (with kernel 3.7 everytime a kernel panic)

And for what's not working (the brightness keys) a workable sollution. I am running Gnome Shell and I added the following extension:
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...tness-control/

I enabled Intel SNA acceleration:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...ration-in.html

I also installed Bumblebee and Primus and the Nvidia Experimental drivers 310:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/primu...search-results
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/use-n...ivers-310.html

So for now I am a happy camper.
    Thanks for the reply - I have since upgraded to 13.04 where all the xorg edgers stuff + kernel 3.8 w/brightness support is default.

I dont use the nvidia gpu because its not really that fast, and games are not my thing - I had to try though, but bumblebee and friends didn't really play well on 13.04 (yet)

I got around 4 hours on battery which is something that could be improved though - do you know if actively disabling the gpu makes a difference?

EDIT: forgot I had disabled pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1 nmi_watchdog=0 in /etc/default/grub - that should make battery life better I think.
    Last edited by screemo; January 15th, 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: forgot something

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Thanks for the reply - I have since upgraded to 13.04 where all the xorg edgers stuff + kernel 3.8 w/brightness support is default.

I dont use the nvidia gpu because its not really that fast, and games are not my thing - I had to try though, but bumblebee and friends didn't really play well on 13.04 (yet)

I got around 4 hours on battery which is something that could be improved though - do you know if actively disabling the gpu makes a difference?

EDIT: forgot I had disabled pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1 nmi_watchdog=0 in /etc/default/grub - that should make battery life better I think.
    Hi!

Don't believe that you would get ~4 hours of battery time if the discrete graphics card wasn't already disabled, that being said I get about the same battery time running 3.7.0.7-generic with the Nvidia switched of through bbswitch.

I also believe the grub-parameters do add some battery-time, no huge amounts but still. I use the same parameters.

How is the temperature on your laptop? Mine is idling at around 60-65C with AC and I think it is a bit lower running on battery. I usually check the sensors command a couple of times per day.

I'm not really sure whether or not that is normal, I'd really like it to be lower so that the fans could shutdown now and then.

I have read a couple of forum posts both regarding Ubuntu and Arch and it seems that in some cases the UX32VD can go as low as 7-8W in consumption and thus also lowering the temperature to somewhere around 50C.

Any ideas?

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast