Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Just for information - the bumlebee ppa for precise works excellent with the latest quantal development version (as of 2012-07-09).

Install:

1) add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    2) replace quantal with precise in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-quantal.list
    3) apt-get install bumblebee

DKMS build for bbswitch and nvidia_current should succeeed.

4) reboot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 9rift View Post
    It's better to use xbacklight -set <value> i think
    Xbacklight seems to work great - just need to figure out how make the Fn+brightness up/down to emit and event...

Any clues?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Just for information - the bumlebee ppa for precise works excellent with the latest quantal development version (as of 2012-07-09).

Install:

1) add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    2) replace quantal with precise in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-quantal.list
    3) apt-get install bumblebee

DKMS build for bbswitch and nvidia_current should succeeed.

4) reboot
    If you encounter problems with desktop effects afterwards, just remove the nvidia-current package

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Xbacklight seems to work great - just need to figure out how make the Fn+brightness up/down to emit and event...

Any clues?
    I havent received my UX32VD yet !
    Maybe you can try this : http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=194717

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 9rift View Post
    I havent received my UX32VD yet !
    Maybe you can try this : http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=194717

Cheers
    You are in for at treat then

I already tried the xev method, but its not giving _any_ output. Thought about hacking the asus-wmi, and/or possibly dumping some information from the windows driver.

Still thinking about the options

Beans

I upgraded my UX32VD's kernel to 3.3 (still running Ubuntu 12.04) and it seems (touch wood!) to have stopped the random total lockups I was getting a couple of times per day previously. I did lose the function keys for volume & keyboard brightness though. I miss them, but a fancy laptop that crashes every hour or two is less useful than a plainer laptop that works all day.

xbacklight doesn't do anything for me (returns silently if I don't specify a display, errors if I do), but xrandr --brightness works great - thanks. (Just a note for others: the brightness value should be between 0 and 1... it's kinda painful if you try 30 like I did LOL)

I see from the documentation though that 'xrandr --brightness' is a software thing & xbacklight's recommended as 9rift mentioned. I guess that means it's just altering the colour of the pixels. This appears to be proven by setting it to 0... at that point I can see backlight bleeding, so obviously the backlight is still on.

I wonder what the system settings brightness slider's doing? Is that controlling the backlight or just changing my pixel colours?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    I upgraded my UX32VD's kernel to 3.3 (still running Ubuntu 12.04) and it seems (touch wood!) to have stopped the random total lockups I was getting a couple of times per day previously. I did lose the function keys for volume & keyboard brightness though. I miss them, but a fancy laptop that crashes every hour or two is less useful than a plainer laptop that works all day.

xbacklight doesn't do anything for me (returns silently if I don't specify a display, errors if I do), but xrandr --brightness works great - thanks. (Just a note for others: the brightness value should be between 0 and 1... it's kinda painful if you try 30 like I did LOL)

I see from the documentation though that 'xrandr --brightness' is a software thing & xbacklight's recommended as 9rift mentioned. I guess that means it's just altering the colour of the pixels. This appears to be proven by setting it to 0... at that point I can see backlight bleeding, so obviously the backlight is still on.

I wonder what the system settings brightness slider's doing? Is that controlling the backlight or just changing my pixel colours?
    You can switch to quantal kernel, and use my patch above - it will get the Fn keys working again. Although the brightness controls is still MIA.

Both xbacklight and xrand method dims my display as intended, but it might just alter the pixel color - dont know

Beans

hi,

i'm currently on quantal kernel and almost very satisfied with the overall performance of the device.

Except for wifi. i really have issues connecting to the AP if its set to b/g/n with auto-channel selection. if i set it to b/g with fixed channel (one which is not in use in my neighbourhood) it connects but the connection itself is kind of unstable (download speed varies a lot, even if my device is the only one connected and the very same download is totally stable via ethernet). i tested that behaviour with 3.2 3.4 3.5 rc4-rc6. can anyone confirm such issues, or give me a hint on how to solve it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bambam23 View Post
    hi,

i'm currently on quantal kernel and almost very satisfied with the overall performance of the device.

Except for wifi. i really have issues connecting to the AP if its set to b/g/n with auto-channel selection. if i set it to b/g with fixed channel (one which is not in use in my neighbourhood) it connects but the connection itself is kind of unstable (download speed varies a lot, even if my device is the only one connected and the very same download is totally stable via ethernet). i tested that behaviour with 3.2 3.4 3.5 rc4-rc6. can anyone confirm such issues, or give me a hint on how to solve it?
    I have the same experience - looking at the forums, I found some references to the N channel having issues:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/73523...grade-to-11-10

I implemented the fix here on mine, and seems to have improved the issue a bit. Can you possibly test also ?

Looks like this is more relevant: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1985103&page=5
    Last edited by screemo; July 12th, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more info added

Beans

@screemo: thanks for the information. i'll try it once i'm back from work. there's also a hint that disabling ipv6 might increase wifi performance.

i'll report afterwards ...

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast