Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by mbleigh View Post
    I've managed to get Ubuntu up and running on my UX31A. By upgrading to the Quantal kernel the trackpad is working better, I've got the Fn keys working all right, but I can't seem to get the Ubuntu bootloader to take over from Windows.

I've reinstalled about a dozen times but nothing seems to make a difference. Whatever the installation process is doing, it's not making grub the default bootloader. Right now the only way for me to boot into Ubuntu is to have a bootable USB key attached.

Can anyone help?
    If you used the 'advanced/manual' way of partitioning and did not let the installer to recreate everything, you have to make sure that you have created a uefi partition larger than 200Mb and after that you specified the grubloader to be installed on /dev/sda (automatically is set to /dev/sdb for a reason i do not really understand).

What i did to fix this was to create the uefi partition using gparted and after that follow this instructions to reinstall grub: http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05...4-live-cd-usb/

Beans

I really want to get one of these for uni to put Linux on. TBH was looking more at Debian because I feel Ubuntu has gone downhill with Unity (I'm not trying to start an argument here), but I prefer idea of package freshness in Ubuntu now anyway.

after the DKMS packages etc what is battery life like now? Some guys say UX31A is churning a good 6hrs out, yet someone in this thread said 3hrs on UX32VD. I want to buy a UX32VD, because, I too, want the extra RAM for big compiles and virtualisation, the HDD because a lot of IO during my makes and I want the portability. I don't want a Windows machine, an OSX machine, I want a linux machine..

Are you guys getting same battery life with ux32vd as people with ux31a are getting or does discrete GPU and spinning HDD take that down?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1994 View Post
    I really want to get one of these for uni to put Linux on. TBH was looking more at Debian because I feel Ubuntu has gone downhill with Unity (I'm not trying to start an argument here), but I prefer idea of package freshness in Ubuntu now anyway.

after the DKMS packages etc what is battery life like now? Some guys say UX31A is churning a good 6hrs out, yet someone in this thread said 3hrs on UX32VD. I want to buy a UX32VD, because, I too, want the extra RAM for big compiles and virtualisation, the HDD because a lot of IO during my makes and I want the portability. I don't want a Windows machine, an OSX machine, I want a linux machine..

Are you guys getting same battery life with ux32vd as people with ux31a are getting or does discrete GPU and spinning HDD take that down?
    People says about 4h30
    Depends heavily on what you call “normal use”, and how bright you want your screen backlight.
    But about 4:30h are realistic under a moderate load like “doing some web-surfing via WLAN”.

source on comment : http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+ux32...b71e75cad3651c

Beans

thanks for that. I wonder if with some powertop output and kernel hacking it can be 5 1/2 - 6 hours. I think by upgrading to SSD it will go up too.

it would be nice if GPU had a driver that worked as I want VDPAU for 1080p h264 accelaration

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dancat View Post
    If you used the 'advanced/manual' way of partitioning and did not let the installer to recreate everything, you have to make sure that you have created a uefi partition larger than 200Mb and after that you specified the grubloader to be installed on /dev/sda (automatically is set to /dev/sdb for a reason i do not really understand).

What i did to fix this was to create the uefi partition using gparted and after that follow this instructions to reinstall grub: http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05...4-live-cd-usb/
    Did you fix the brighness up/down by creating a script, or is it working like automatically?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 9rift View Post
    That should do the trick, but have you tested it ?
    I'm curious about difference of the battery between the nvidia chip on and off
    Didn't notice anything significantly - however I have no before/after numbers to tell you - just installed everything that might be needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bzhb View Post
    Really ? It is probably because Arch linux has a more recent kernel (3.4.4). At least it is working fine on my UX31A on Arch.

You should look at this http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=67
    I have attached the patch for the quantal (3.5.x) kernel if anyone needs it.

It works the same as on the precise (3.2.x) - but without random lockups (this is due to some old stuff in the kernel it seems).

There's no deb for it, since I imagine the kernel will still be updated a few times on quantal, so instructions is this:

0) install quantal kernel headers
    1) tar zxvf asus-wmi.tar.gz to /usr/src/
    2) sudo dkms build -m asus-wmi -v 999.01
    3) sudo dkms install -m asus-wmi -v 999.01

Reboot - and then Fn keys for audio, keyboard backlight should work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Did you fix the brighness up/down by creating a script, or is it working like automatically?
    I did not fixed them yet, but xrandr --output eDP1 --brightness <value> works, so probably a script can be created. Right now, i am setting the brightness in a script that also changes the dispaly DPI whenever the user logins or HDMI events are triggered, so i am not bothered by the issue anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dancat View Post
    I did not fixed them yet, but xrandr --output eDP1 --brightness <value> works, so probably a script can be created. Right now, i am setting the brightness in a script that also changes the dispaly DPI whenever the user logins or HDMI events are triggered, so i am not bothered by the issue anymore.
    Is it something you are willing to share ?

How about the dpi, does it work reliably with dialogs and all ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Is it something you are willing to share ?

How about the dpi, does it work reliably with dialogs and all ?
    It's better to use xbacklight -set <value> i think

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast