Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

hi everybody,
    I have an ux32vd-r4002v, I have ubuntu 12.04 on it and it works well but I would like to upgrade the kernel or upgrade to quantal to resolve some issues..u know what i'm talking about.

So, I don't know why when I upgrade the kernel or install 12.10, the computer don't boot anymore... or better, it boots only if I use the old kernel (3.2.0) or the first time i try to boot the new kernel after i booted with 3.2.0.

If I alternate kernels it quite always boot, if i boot 2 times with new kernel i receive a blank screen after the grub screen. If I try recovery mode it desn't boot.

I installed the root directory in dev\sdb (the 32 gb ssd).

Has anyone the same problems or any suggest?
    Last edited by diego851; September 26th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Beans

Hello

I am new into Ubuntu and owner of ux32vd.

I just finished installing v12.04.

However before continuing finding and updating drivers, I need to figure out this problem which I hope some of you here are able to help me with.

My fan, the one my right hand is spinning constantly due to heat but with me doing nothing on my computer. Waited for 10 min to check up if there were some workload to finish up but with no help. On windows 7 it runs quietly with no fans spinning during idle(45c).

Anyone might help me up, cause I do not like that it runs hot at idle??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Thanks I will check it out

I can confirm it works on kernel 3.2.0, but I get strange lockups sometimes I didn't see on 3.5rc kernel - think I will move to that, and maybe adapt the patch when quantal becomes more stable.

Anyone noticed that hotkey on the A-key - is that for automatic keyboard backlight or the screen ?
    It is supposed to toggle the ambient light sensor. Just tested it on Windows.

Beans

HI everyone,

I just picked up a UX31A and have pretty much everything i care about working well. The one big hangup i have left is multitouch gestures. Has anyone had any success setting up 2 or 3 finger swipes for back/forward in we browsers/file managers etc. And a 3 or 4 finger up or down swipe for the compiz expose equivalent? Coming from using OS X laptops i find it impossible to use a laptop without these basic gestures anymore. It seems touchegg is capable of this, has anyone had success with it on 12.04 or 12.10? Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by touser View Post
    HI everyone,

I just picked up a UX31A and have pretty much everything i care about working well. The one big hangup i have left is multitouch gestures. Has anyone had any success setting up 2 or 3 finger swipes for back/forward in we browsers/file managers etc. And a 3 or 4 finger up or down swipe for the compiz expose equivalent? Coming from using OS X laptops i find it impossible to use a laptop without these basic gestures anymore. It seems touchegg is capable of this, has anyone had success with it on 12.04 or 12.10? Thanks!
    Well I am using Ubuntu 12.10 and I have experienced that there are a lot of default touchpad gestures:

-) 2 finger tap: right mouse click
    -) 2 finger movement: scroll
    -) 3 finger tap: activate buttons to move and resize the window more easily
    -) 3 finger movement: move the current window
    -) 4 fingers movement to the right: show the unity bar on the left
    -) 4 fingers movement to the left: hide the unity bar on the left
    -) 4 fingers tap: does the same as the windows button: show the unity starter (or hide it if its already there)

But I have no idea if there is some easy way to configure these gestures.
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; September 30th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Beans

Hi there,

I just installed the current Quantal version on my UX32VD. The only thing really annoying me is that the fan goes constantly even though the machine just idles. Any hints what I can do about this? I am using bios version 211, maybe version 206 or 207 handle this better?
    Last edited by cbrand0; September 30th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

Hi, is there anyone who has ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04 with a newer kernel on a UX32VD-R4002V (i7 processor)?

If I install a never kernel than 3.2.0 linux won't boot on my machine, and I need it cause i have to install bumblebee to use a CFD (OpenFOAM) software for my thesis!!

Can anyone help please?

Thanks a lot,

Diego.

Beans

Hi diego851,

I have the exact same machine. Mine boots with the latest 12.10 version and mine boots just fine. With 12.04 I had awkward problems while booting. Sometimes it wouldn't boot without a usb mouse connected, sometimes it helped to connect an external monitor via hdmi. I don't know which boot option you chose, but with my machine "quiet splash" worked better than "nomodeset" in the /etc/default/grub config.

Beans

Thanks Cbrand0,

I didn't change anything in /etc/default/grub config, i've never had problems with 12.04 and with 12.10, can't find a way to boot.

I've done a new try today installing today's "dayli build" with a fresh install but it don't boot. Blank screen after grub page.

It boots only in recovery mode, do you have any suggest for me?
    Last edited by diego851; October 1st, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Beans

For folks booting Ubuntu (or actually any 3.5+ kernel) off an SSD and have not disabled the asus-wmi module, you'll be seeing the kernel panics (the ones with the caps lock key flashing).

I've found a workaround which seems to work for me. Type this in a terminal:
    Code:
    echo "blacklist btusb" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-btusb.conf
    echo "/sbin/modprobe btusb" | sudo tee /etc/rc.local
    This basically disables btusb during the modprobe stage in the bootup, and insteads inserts the module at the very end of the bootup.

FYI - btusb is a Bluetooth USB module, which seems to be having a race condition in timing when booting off SSD causing kernel panics.

Let me know if this works or does not work for you.

All I could find was based on the info in the bug report #1041883, one of the folks mentioned about the asus_wmi_rfkill_init() function which seems to be handing the RFKILL switch i.e Fn+F2 key (for Wifi, BT, 3G, etc.). So I tried disabling few modules during the bootup corresponding to these and finally found out a very highly likely module causing the problem.

More info here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3/comments/112
    Last edited by Tuxdude; October 4th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast