Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 311

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    69

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    tried that already, created a new user and logged in with it, but it looks the same. I also removed most of the packages I installed through ppas but that also did not have any effect. I guess I will have to do a fresh install...
    I imagine you already tried apt-get install ubuntu-desktop ?

    Sometimes it helped to pull in needed dependencies for me.

    Else, yes - a reinstall

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    127

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I imagine you already tried apt-get install ubuntu-desktop ?

    Sometimes it helped to pull in needed dependencies for me.

    Else, yes - a reinstall
    Oh my god!!!! I LOVE YOU MAN! that was it!
    Most of my bugs are gone now!

    I would have thought that ubuntu-desktop will be installed by default when I install from a default ubuntu image (not server but desktop image..)

    UPDATE: one of the more anoying bugs thats still left is that when I use the alt+ mouse button2 key combination from the "resize window" compiz plugin, then compiz crashes and restarts.

    UPDATE2: I've documented the list of bugs that I still experience after this great fix from screemo again over at the other thread, could somebody look at it and comment if you're also seeing those?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12244005
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; September 17th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    69

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    Oh my god!!!! I LOVE YOU MAN! that was it!
    Most of my bugs are gone now!

    I would have thought that ubuntu-desktop will be installed by default when I install from a default ubuntu image (not server but desktop image..)

    UPDATE: one of the more anoying bugs thats still left is that when I use the alt+ mouse button2 key combination from the "resize window" compiz plugin, then compiz crashes and restarts.

    UPDATE2: I've documented the list of bugs that I still experience after this great fix from screemo again over at the other thread, could somebody look at it and comment if you're also seeing those?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12244005
    Glad to help - it has tricked me more than a few times

    Please try to reset your unity settings (type 'unity --reset' in a terminal without sudo)

    Reset compiz aswell:

    rm -rf ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/*

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    127

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Glad to help - it has tricked me more than a few times

    Please try to reset your unity settings (type 'unity --reset' in a terminal without sudo)

    Reset compiz aswell:

    rm -rf ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/*
    hmm, those two don't seem to have any effect on the bugs left.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Beans
    29

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    I'm thinking about getting this laptop and was wondering about compatibility. I've looked at the official AsusZenbookPrime page, but some of the stuff there seems to be outdated and I've combed through this forum, but I'm having a hard time keeping straight what currently doesn't work with this model.

    Is anyone able/willing to give me a short-list of what still doesn't work with 12.04? What about with the 12.10 release that releases next month (I've noticed that some people are running 12.10 betas in this thread).

    Just a short-list will be fine, and maybe if there is a solution note that there is one (I can likely find the solution myself).

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    127

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    I've observed yesterday evening that with the latest updates that my power consumption is really a lot less then it was before (when idle).

    With quite low display backlight and without doing anything on the machine I get down to 9,5 Watt.

    Last week the lowest I could get was about 14 Watt.

    The worst thing for the power consumption is to switch between workspaces, and also afterwards as long as you keep strg+alt pressed which keeps the workspaces overview visible in the middle of the screen - that makes compiz take really a lot of cpu power and that gets the power consumption up to 20 watts.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Quote Originally Posted by powersurge360 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting this laptop and was wondering about compatibility. I've looked at the official AsusZenbookPrime page, but some of the stuff there seems to be outdated and I've combed through this forum, but I'm having a hard time keeping straight what currently doesn't work with this model.

    Is anyone able/willing to give me a short-list of what still doesn't work with 12.04? What about with the 12.10 release that releases next month (I've noticed that some people are running 12.10 betas in this thread).

    Just a short-list will be fine, and maybe if there is a solution note that there is one (I can likely find the solution myself).
    the only things without a solution are the ambient light sensor and the F5/F6 keys to change screen brightness

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    127

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    has anybody with an UX32VD tried to use a 3G-modem with his notebook? It produces crashes and freezes for me, but with a modem that works fine on other linux machines (0af0:6971). and it both happens with Ubuntu 12.10 and linux mint 13 (=12.04)
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; September 22nd, 2012 at 07:06 PM.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    13

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Had problems with usb modeswitching when I tried hooking up my old 3G Huawei 122 on any of the usb 3.0 ports of my UX32vd-r400v. These problems resolved after installing and using Sakis3g (http://www.sakis3g.org/).

    On the other hand, I did experience a few crashes on Ubuntu 12.04 trying to copy gigs of files from an external USB-Drive to my hard drive while working on the desktop in parallel. Crash was really bad: no ctrl-alt-f1 or alt-sysrq-REISUB response and had to do a "hard shut down". Otherwise the system seems stable.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    127

    Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

    Quote Originally Posted by kyosaku View Post
    Had problems with usb modeswitching when I tried hooking up my old 3G Huawei 122 on any of the usb 3.0 ports of my UX32vd-r400v. These problems resolved after installing and using Sakis3g (http://www.sakis3g.org/).

    On the other hand, I did experience a few crashes on Ubuntu 12.04 trying to copy gigs of files from an external USB-Drive to my hard drive while working on the desktop in parallel. Crash was really bad: no ctrl-alt-f1 or alt-sysrq-REISUB response and had to do a "hard shut down". Otherwise the system seems stable.
    I tried to get my 3g modem to work a few times yesterday evening, but either if it got recognised and listed in my "lsusb" output, then the system froze within 2 minutes and I need to hardreset. And the other times when it didn't freeze my system, it was never listed in the lsusb output and therefore didn't work.

    The thing with freezes on using usb disks I can also confirm, but this is very rare, most of the time usb disks work quite well, although sometimes with one particular usb-disk of mine always gets disconnected and remounted afterwards.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •