Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    Probably send a mail to the mailinglist I linked earlier (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1315719). Not sure though, I have never really filed anything against the kernel.

The problems you describe do exactly match the issues I have.
    I can confirm that the 3.5.0-5 cant suspend properly, had to forcibly turn off the computer and start it again.

I will see if I can report this on launchpad.

EDIT: Reported this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1027380, please comment if you have more details.
    Last edited by screemo; July 21st, 2012 at 11:22 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Please try this from a terminal:

# sudo rmmod iwlwifi && modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

If it works for you, make the changes permanent this way:

# sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi-disable11n.conf

Add this to the file, and save it (:wq)
    Code:
    options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    Hi thanks. When I try that I get a FATAL: Error inserting iwlwifi (/lib/modules/3.2.0-25-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.kob): Operation not permitted

If I try a second time I get ERROR: Module iwlwifi does not exist in /proc/modules

Oh and now my laptop doesn't pick up any wireless networks since running that command so internet is completely broke...

Beans

Is there any update or a fix to the launcher icons disappearing after enabling the edgers repos?

Any ideas on what is causing this? I would love to help but I am a complete linux noob, I could submit some debugging info if needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs[] View Post
    Is there any update or a fix to the launcher icons disappearing after enabling the edgers repos?

Any ideas on what is causing this? I would love to help but I am a complete linux noob, I could submit some debugging info if needed.
    As stated in the PPA, they're already aware of it and the cause (something in MESA?), so you will just have to wait for them to sort it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMorrison View Post
    Hi thanks. When I try that I get a FATAL: Error inserting iwlwifi (/lib/modules/3.2.0-25-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.kob): Operation not permitted

If I try a second time I get ERROR: Module iwlwifi does not exist in /proc/modules

Oh and now my laptop doesn't pick up any wireless networks since running that command so internet is completely broke...
    sorry, my mistake you can execute them one at a time instead:

# sudo rmmod iwlwifi
    # sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SveinT View Post
    As stated in the PPA, they're already aware of it and the cause (something in MESA?), so you will just have to wait for them to sort it out.
    In the meantime you can use the unity-2d session (in the login screen, click the ubuntu icon near your username)

Beans

I can confirm that the 3.5.0-5 cant suspend properly, had to forcibly turn off the computer and start it again.

EDIT: Reported this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1027380, please comment if you have more details.
    There is an option in the bios that allows you to disable deep sleep powersaving. Try disabling this and see if this works. Might want to add that info to the bugreport. I am on 12.04 now with xorg-edgers repo's. Might add to the bugreport.

I am currently trying this now, and see if makes any difference.

Edit: linux (3.5.0-6.6) quantal-proposed should have this fixed (source https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1027828) not sure yet what to install to test it.
    Last edited by peter rus; July 24th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

How did you install the proposed kernel?

Edit: You're on quantal probably, just enabled quantal-proposed

Edit: restored my quantal installation, enabled quantal-proposed and the laptop woke up fine after a 10 minute suspend, will leave it suspended tonight as the final test
    Last edited by peter rus; July 25th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Beans

I'm using the kernel 3.5.0-030500 on my UX32VD and suspension and brightness control via panel-applets works fine.

I also tried to hibernate via running "pm-hibernate" but this did not work, had to force shutdown after a failed start following hibernation.

This bug described here
    a. The Zenbook hangs at the login screen for a very long time when you start the computer on battery (This does not happen when you start it with the AC plug connected).
    Doesn't happen for me. Boots very quick from the 24gb SSD and also no hanging at the login screen no matter if I have attached power or not.

What I do not understand is this how this patch to enable all those fn keys should work. do I need to do something with kernel sources and build a kernel myself?

Especially I would love to have the possibility to control the keyboard elumination.

What worked out of the box for me:
    -) Wifi
    -) LAN-Adapter (have only tried 100mbit, need to try out to connect to my gbit switch)
    -) HDMI & VGA-Adapter (but sometimes messes up X beyond repair except by a reboot) (and also when connected external screen during boot internal one doesn't show and can't be enabled)
    -) SDHC-Card-Reader (does not support SDXC according to asus, but will try it when I get my hands on one)
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; July 25th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    I'm using the kernel 3.5.0-030500 on my UX32VD and suspension and brightness control via panel-applets works fine.

I also tried to hibernate via running "pm-hibernate" but this did not work, had to force shutdown after a failed start following hibernation.

This bug described here

Doesn't happen for me. Boots very quick from the 24gb SSD and also no hanging at the login screen no matter if I have attached power or not.

What I do not understand is this how this patch to enable all those fn keys should work. do I need to do something with kernel sources and build a kernel myself?

Especially I would love to have the possibility to control the keyboard elumination.

What worked out of the box for me:
    -) Wifi
    -) LAN-Adapter (have only tried 100mbit, need to try out to connect to my gbit switch)
    -) HDMI & VGA-Adapter (but sometimes messes up X beyond repair except by a reboot) (and also when connected external screen during boot internal one doesn't show and can't be enabled)
    -) SDHC-Card-Reader (does not support SDXC according to asus, but will try it when I get my hands on one)
    You probably shouldn't use a mainline kernel, as the wiki states:

Do mainline kernel builds include Ubuntu specific drivers?
    By definition the mainline kernel builds are made from virgin unaltered mainline kernel sources and therefore do not, and should not, include any Ubuntu patches or drivers. There are also no binary drivers for these kernels.
    Yesterday a fix for the suspend issues has been released in the quantal-proposed repository, this means that when you are running quantal, enabling this repository in software sources and then installing all updates gives gives you this fixed kernel.

You might also find it in the xorg-edgers repository, have a look
    Last edited by peter rus; July 25th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast