Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Has anyone gotten their paws on the new Ivy Bridge models of the Zenbook? I believe there were issues with battery life and suspend on the Sandy bridge models, though I'm not sure if these could be fixed manually or not.

I'm particularly interested to see if ubuntu will play well with graphics switching for the Zenbook UX32VD-DB71. If not, I'll likely opt for the Zenbook Prime UX31a-DB71.

laura / chicgeek
    Singer and designer
    Find me on twitter
    Find me on flickr

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

I am also interested on running Linux on this notebook (Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS). I am looking at either this notebook or the Lenovo X230.

If someone gets their hands on one I would like to know if the Nvidia graphics can be disabled in BIOS so it runs on the Intel 4000 chip only. That way worst case scenario I could run Windows using Nvidia and Linux running Intel.

After Linus Torvalds gave Nvidia the finger last week I am not too "optimistic of optimus" running on Linux any time soon!

Beans

i own one. Most fn-keys dont work. NVidia isnt working. Bumblebee pm works. but pm isnt that good at all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bweber View Post
    i own one. Most fn-keys dont work. NVidia isnt working. Bumblebee pm works. but pm isnt that good at all
    Check the links I posted above. I think there's a pretty common config fix for the fn buttons. Can you let us know if they work after this?

What's PM? Also, since you mentioned nvidia, it sounds like you have the UX32VD, correct?

Thanks in advance!
    laura / chicgeek
    Singer and designer
    Find me on twitter
    Find me on flickr

Beans

pm = powermanagement.
    Yes I've the UX32VD. I didn't get the fn-keys working yet. The mentioned links didn't help me yet...

Beans

Bweber, how is everything else working? I'm really interested in putting Linux on this thing.

Beans

nexero's DKMS package here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12054636 gave me mostly working function keys (UX32VD, Ubuntu 12.04). No screen brightness keys yet though.

Beans

If asus could imagine how many developers they may have when they will provide good Ubuntu support for those machines. This perfect stuff for most of us.

• small - easy to grab and go to meeting, conference
    • powerful - gets **** done,
    • battery - at least in Windows from what i see. In perfect scenario you wouldn't be part of plug race
    • screen - not glossy finally for good sake what is wrong with people those days
    • possibility to replace **** inside, comes with crap but you can easily replace to SSD and 10 GB

Most will go with Macbook Air/13" Pro again with Xcode and we will pretend this is Linux. I'm only one who see that niche?

I would say that I can volunteer to work for free to any company that will finally wrap any Linux to developer laptop machine.

sorry for offtopic

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x_O View Post
    If asus could imagine how many developers they may have when they will provide good Ubuntu support for those machines. This perfect stuff for most of us.

• small - easy to grab and go to meeting, conference
    • powerful - gets **** done,
    • battery - at least in Windows from what i see. In perfect scenario you wouldn't be part of plug race
    • screen - not glossy finally for good sake what is wrong with people those days
    • possibility to replace **** inside, comes with crap but you can easily replace to SSD and 10 GB

Most will go with Macbook Air/13" Pro again with Xcode and we will pretend this is Linux. I'm only one who see that niche?

I would say that I can volunteer to work for free to any company that will finally wrap any Linux to developer laptop machine.

sorry for offtopic
    I can definitely relate to that

Irritates me that they dont use a little time atleast providing a blob/src you can load as a module for these models.

Beans

And I forgot to mention that I don't give a **** if laptop price is 500 or 2000$ this is my toolbox I really need good one.

And I really like Linux, kind of got use to it. Apple philosophy takes **** out of me, but I have to admit they've done a lot for laptops in general. They've setup bar quite high.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast