Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best softwares to show the temperatures of my hardware?

Beans

What are the best softwares to show the temperatures of my hardware?

I've tried some but it seems that every software thinks the teperature is different.

I would like to get all of your suggestion.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: What are the best softwares to show the temperatures of my hardware?

That's odd. How different? I mean, are we talking a degree different, or something substantial? And what pieces of software were giving you these different numbers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcottingham View Post
    That's odd. How different? I mean, are we talking a degree different, or something substantial? And what pieces of software were giving you these different numbers?
    not exactly different, the command software (lmsensor i think), showed three temperatures and thay all were 100 C. So I understood i may need another programs.

what do you offer to me? or maybe you know why I got wrong temperatures?

Thanks

Beans

Hardware comes with sensors and the Linux kernel has drivers to read off of those sensors. Lm-sensors interfaces with the kernel and it displays the information gathered from the kernel. Any program for reading temperature would go hardware -> kernel -> lm_sensors on any Linux distribution.

If you want a graphical interface, you can try psensor which has very nice Unity integration so you can see pick a temperature and see it on the Unity bar.

On that note, 100C is WAY TOO HIGH. At best, there is a bug in the kernel and this is not the real temperature of your hardware. At worse, the kernel is right and there is something wrong with your laptop.

- At 100C you should be able to feel your laptop being too hot to touch. Try touching your laptop to see if it is too hot to handle, but be careful, 100C is boiling water temperature and it can leave burns and scars.
    - When was the last time you cleaned your laptop from dust?
    - Is your laptop fan working?
    - What is the temperature of the room where you are using your laptop?
    - What is the idle temperature vs the temperature under load?
    - Do you have a dual-boot with Windows, where you can use different software to compare the readings. If there is a bug in the Linux kernel, it may not appear on other Linux distributions, so you can also try other Linux or Ubuntu versions to compare readings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xp15 View Post
    not exactly different, the command software (lmsensor i think), showed three temperatures and thay all were 100 C. So I understood i may need another programs.

what do you offer to me? or maybe you know why I got wrong temperatures?

Thanks
    You should go into the BIOS settings for your laptop and see what temps are reported there. If those also say the same, your laptop is seriously overheating.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Yeah, 100 C sounds way too hot, but it also sounds like a suspiciously round number, like something is just not working. I would try looking in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone. There should be one or more directories in there -- on my machine there's just one named "THM". Each of those directories contains, among other things, a "file" named temperature. If you cat it, it tells you the temperature -- like this:

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature

That should show you the temperature, in a direct interface from the kernel driver that's reading the temperature. If that says 100 C, I'd suspect that there's something wrong with your BIOS ACPI, or with the acpi kernel driver.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcottingham View Post
    Yeah, 100 C sounds way too hot, but it also sounds like a suspiciously round number, like something is just not working. I would try looking in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone. There should be one or more directories in there -- on my machine there's just one named "THM". Each of those directories contains, among other things, a "file" named temperature. If you cat it, it tells you the temperature -- like this:

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature

That should show you the temperature, in a direct interface from the kernel driver that's reading the temperature. If that says 100 C, I'd suspect that there's something wrong with your BIOS ACPI, or with the acpi kernel driver.
    I have no "thermal_zone" in acpi folder. there are only 2 empty folders there. but i don't thing that there sensors would tell 100C and my laptop will be feel fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by xp15 View Post
    I've tried some but it seems that every software thinks the teperature is different.

I would like to get all of your suggestion.

Thanks!
    Open a terminal and post the output of # sensors
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Open a terminal and post the output of # sensors
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +0.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
    temp2: +0.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
    temp3: +0.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
    I can see now that actually it show 0.

also here a picture prom psensor:
    Last edited by xp15; June 19th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Beans

I use PSensor it's been great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast