Thread: SSH without port forwarding...

Beans

SSH without port forwarding...

So I have my dad setup with an ubuntu netbook. I would like to be able to ssh into it to fix any issues he might have. His work involves traveling so he often logs in from a hotel wireless access point. Would I be able to ssh to him? I've done some research on this, but have not found anything solid.

From what I do understand is that it would invole setting up a script on his end to connect to me, then I connect to myself...

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SSH without port forwarding...

Hi Mr.Dee.

I don't think you would be able to do exactly that, but if you are 'ssh-accessible', I believe you can setup a reverse ssh tunnel to connect to your father's computer.

I works like this: your dad's run a script to reach you, and creates a port in your machine. After that, you can ssh to his computer using a special port in your own machine.

Take a look at this article for details.

I hope that points you in the right direction, and tell us how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Re: SSH without port forwarding...

Two additional remarks:

You can also tunnel X sessions/program over a SSH:

Code:
    ssh -X itsme@dadscomputer.com
    then on dadscomputer type

Code:
    firefox &

Furthermore, worth trying: install miredo (sudo apt-get install miredo) on both computers. Miredo will create an IPv6 tunnel over IPv4 through NAT.
    If you put a "wget www.yourhost.com/hello-its-dad" into the crontab running each 5 minutes, you can access your dad's computer over Ipv6.