Thread: System tab missing

Beans

Question System tab missing

On my upper panel I have a Menu Bar and the System tab doesn't show, only Applications and Places. How do I put the System option on the Menu Bar? The "edit menus" and "add to panel" options don't help

I have search through web forums since yesterday and found similar threads but not one that specifically says only the System Tab is missing.

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 and before logging into my account i selected gnome classic. That's all I know. I'm really a beginner here, so please help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: System tab missing

I don't think that you can have that with Gnome shell. I don't use Gnome so someone feel free to correct me.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."
    .:GitHub:.|.:Dropbox:.

Beans

You can. My friend has Ubuntu 2.6 and gnome also and he has the System tab

Beans

By the system tab, do you mean the one that would generally be on the top right hand side, or a specific one on the left; as where Apps and Places are located. If so - they can both be added.

Beans

Smile Re: System tab missing

I want to add the one on the left, the one that's between Apps and Places. Cool, how do I add it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by somezombie View Post
    You can. My friend has Ubuntu 2.6 and gnome also and he has the System tab
    11.10 has Gnome 3. There is no Ubuntu 2.6. What you are describing was the default behaviour of Gnome 2, not Gnome 3.

10.10 or 10.04 would be like this.

Gnome Shell (What you are using) looks like this,

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fpdM3UOam3...ic-session.png

System tray is on the same menu as log out shut down etc.
    Last edited by chamber; June 22nd, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chamber View Post
    System tray is on the same menu as log out shut down etc.
    You mean System Settings? I don't think that's the same one I'm talking about, wich has options like "preferences", "administration", "help and support"... I don't know why I'm not making myself clear. Sorry for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I know which menu you're talking about. This question has been asked a lot, and to be honest, I don't think you can do it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried in gnome-session-fallback in 12.04 as well as in my 11.10 VM, and I don't see a way.

If you are really desperate to get the old Gnome 2 experience back, maybe look into the MATE Desktop project:

http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/04/how-...ntu-11-10.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by somezombie View Post
    You mean System Settings? I don't think that's the same one I'm talking about, wich has options like "preferences", "administration", "help and support"... I don't know why I'm not making myself clear. Sorry for that.

You are making yourself clear. It just can't be done. That menu has been incorporated into the menu you have in your picture.

As has been stated you can try MATE which is a gnome 2 fork.

Beans

Ok, thanks, I get it now. I will try MATE, you were very helpful.