Thread: What is the relationship between Compiz and Unity?

Beans

What is the relationship between Compiz and Unity?

I recently learned about Compiz and I had read that Unity was comparable to windows aero... so that left me wondering, if Compiz isn't a desktop enviroment, what is it? And is it possible for Compiz and Unity to coexist?

Beans

Re: What is the relationship between Compiz and Unity?

If your running a current incarnation of Unity your also running Compiz, unfortunately Compiz is rather buggy and turning on certain functions will break others, which can be quite annoying. Compiz = compositing manager
    What I'm dealin' with:
    HP Pavilion G6-1D60US, dual booted: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, & Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 640 gig HDD, 4 gig RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by linux12 View Post
    I recently learned about Compiz and I had read that Unity was comparable to windows aero... so that left me wondering, if Compiz isn't a desktop enviroment, what is it? And is it possible for Compiz and Unity to coexist?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Unity is currently a compiz plugin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29

Beans

Question Re: What is the relationship between Compiz and Unity?

So Compiz is the overall desktop manager, not Unity. And I guess Unity is just a plugin designed to make compiz easier to use. Does that mean Unity works with Compiz based distros that aren't Ubuntu (Knoppix,etc...)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I installed Emerald and it works nice as a Windows manager. I had to put it in startup applications twice though.
    Then sometimes it still doesn't start but, generally when I logout and back in it works.
    Startup command is emerald --replace
    I like it because it puts the buttons on the right side of a window unless it is maximized then they are always on the top left.

Beans

What is emerald? does it support unity? Is emerald a window manager like Compiz?
    Last edited by linux12; June 18th, 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: erased something that is only technically true

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What is emerald? does it support unity? Is emerald a window manager like Compiz?
    Yes, it works with Cairo Dock. It was pretty hard to find how to install but, I finally found good instructions.
    It is just a windows manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So Compiz is the overall desktop manager, not Unity. And I guess Unity is just a plugin designed to make compiz easier to use. Does that mean Unity works with Compiz based distros that aren't Ubuntu (Knoppix,etc...)?
    You need to read all of the unity link I gave you.

It doesn't make compiz easier to use though. Think of compiz as eyecandy for the desktop and unity as a desktop interface that makes use of the eyecandy.
    Last edited by philinux; June 18th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.