Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

The following commit was added to the Linux kernel between 3.4rc7 and 3.4. So if you run anything older than 3.4, the crashes may be caused by not having this fix.

commit df558de16c8a90e44ffb405e9224980b15158c93
    Author: Xudong Hao <xudong.hao@intel.com>
    Date: Fri Apr 27 09:16:46 2012 -0600

PCI: work around IvyBridge internal graphics FLR erratum

For IvyBridge Mobile platform, a system hang may occur if a FLR (Function
    Level Reset) is asserted to internal graphics.

This quirk is a workaround for the IVB FLR errata issue. We are
    disabling the FLR reset handshake between the PCH and CPU display, then
    manually powering down the panel power sequencing and resetting the PCH
    display.

Signed-off-by: Xudong Hao <xudong.hao@intel.com>
    Signed-off-by: Kay, Allen M <allen.m.kay@intel.com>
    Signed-off-by: Matthew Wilcox <matthew.r.wilcox@intel.com>
    Signed-off-by: Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>

Beans

Re: FIX for Fn keys

Quote Originally Posted by nexero View Post
    Fix for (most) Fn-Keys:
    I took this patch and made my first DKMS package (maybe sloppy, but works for me):
    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1315719

Most Fn keys are working now, except for Fn-F5 and Fn-F6 (changing LCD brightness)

Just install this package using following code:
    Code:
    gzip -d asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb.gz
    sudo apt-get install dkms
    sudo dpkg -i asus-wmi-dkms_999.01_all.deb
    xev does now recognize Fn keystrokes
    this patch works, and i now have many working Fn buttons.

however on the 12.10 ubuntu running latest 3.5.0-2 kernel, brightness is stuck to maximum.

there is one awkward workaround that works for me. as root:

echo '1' > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

*then* reboot and run the kernel in 'recovery' mode. i'm at minimum brightness. (note in this mode, /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness does not exist, and brightness can't be modified).

is that a clue to a flaw in my configuration?

advice is appreciated.

Beans

Anyone installed ubuntu and still has working recovery?
    Got my new device today and i want to install kubuntu soon, if the ramtest doesn't find any errors.
    But if possible i want to keep the recovery to restore everything as delivered if needed.
    There is an UEFI partition, the windows partition, a data partition, the recovery partition and a 4gb partition which i don't have any idea for what it is good for.
    So, removing windows und data partition should be safe. But does ubuntu change anything on the uefi partition that makes it impossible to boot into recovery? And what's with the 4gb partition? Can i remove it?
    Summarized, if i don't touch recovery and uefi partition while creating new partition layout, will then the asus recovery work after installing ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dancat View Post
    I did with HDMI. It worked fine, except the DPI issue that i need to address using this tutorial: http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/20...teresting-diy/

If you are not bothered by this, then you can say it works out of the box.
    Did you try it with VGA yet?
    Most beamers in conference rooms still only got VGA and you usually don't have too much time to set up. So a quick display recognition would be nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nexero View Post
    @mixer2:
    Power button doesn't work.
    keyboard-backlight keys do.

Backlight adjustment for LCD can be done in two ways:
    * values 0 - 4095:
    echo 2000 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    * values 0 - 10:
    echo 2 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

both don't work with Ubuntu 12.10

As I mentioned in another thread about the UX31A, I've added the xorg-edgers ppa to 12.04, updated to kernel 3.4.0 from xorg-edgers (also tried 3.5.0, but it still has some issues: the Zenbook hangs at the login screen for a very long time when you start the computer on battery, and brightess cannot be adjusted.), upgraded all packages from xorg-edgers (including xserver-xorg-input-synaptics), and added your asus-wmi.dmks patch for 12.10.

The touchpad is now fully working: left click, right click, click and drag, edge scrolling, two finger scrolling (vertical and horizontal), tap to click (one finger left click, two fingers right click).

The power button works now - Just keep it pressed for a couple of seconds to trigger the 'Power Off' dialogue.

All supported screen resolutions are now available under Settings > Displays

Most fn keys work (apart from fn+f5 and fn+f6) thanks to nexero's patch

Can someone update the wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime with this information, please?

Thanks
    Last edited by fab.head; June 30th, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Beans

Hi guys.

Found this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=41 and used it to lower brightness by using command

xrandr --output eDP1 --brightness 0.5

Hope this might lead some one on the right path to fix brightness issue.

Beans

12.10 offers all that out of the box (after running the Fn patch on this forum), plus I understand some power management improvements. no hang at the login screen issue here. i get to full boot in 15 seconds from off, and password carries me instantly to desktop.

only remaining issue, and it's serious, is brightness. you can

echo '1' > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

in 3.5.0-2 standard (which doesn't change brightness) then reboot into recovery.

brightness is then whatever you echoed. i get full resolution in recovery, although some unity features seem disabled. unfortunately, recovery doesn't like suspend. also, i don't believe the power button is a shortcut to powering down.

not an ideal place. maybe a path from 12.04 is workable, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by fab.head View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread about the UX31A, I've added the xorg-edgers ppa to 12.04, updated to kernel 3.4.0 from xorg-edgers (also tried 3.5.0, but it still has some issues: the Zenbook hangs at the login screen for a very long time when you start the computer on battery, and brightess cannot be adjusted.), upgraded all packages from xorg-edgers (including xserver-xorg-input-synaptics), and added your asus-wmi.dmks patch for 12.10.

The touchpad is now fully working: left click, right click, click and drag, edge scrolling, two finger scrolling (vertical and horizontal), tap to click (one finger left click, two fingers right click).

The power button works now - Just keep it pressed for a couple of seconds to trigger the 'Power Off' dialogue.

All supported screen resolutions are now available under Settings > Displays

Most fn keys work (apart from fn+f5 and fn+f6) thanks to nexero's patch

Can someone update the wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime with this information, please?

Thanks

Beans

Yippie, this works to control brightness in Ubuntu 12.10, kernel 3.5.0-2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Holylimpa View Post
    Hi guys.

Found this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=41 and used it to lower brightness by using command

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lmarso View Post
    12.10 offers all that out of the box
    Good to know, thanks.
    However, I'd like to stick to a working 12.04 for some time as 12.10 is still under heavy development and things may still break at this stage.
    I'm using the Zenbook as my main laptop at work, and I feel safer with 12.04 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by fab.head View Post
    Nevermind, I've managed to update it myself
    Hope it can be of help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holylimpa View Post
    Hi guys.

This worked for me - other methods through /sys doesn't change anything.

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast