Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by cybtrash View Post
    Hello, does everything else work with BIOS 216? I read on arch linux forums, that with BIOS 216 there are new problems introduced with the battery, it doesn't get powered anymore to 100%, but gets stuck at about 70%. Or something is wrong with the power status. Can you confirm those problems with BIOS 216?
    I am having no issues with my bios 216. The system is reporting 89% battery and thats after 30 min or so without power so I'm under the assumption that it is in fact charging to 100%.

Is there any way to enable right click dragging? I have a difficult time making use of any word processor because the right click drag is registering as a left click drag which is unhighlighting any text I was originally going to format.

Edit: After messing with movement and clicking some more, I've found out that it only actually registers a right click when you only have one finger on the pad during a right click. So instead of adding right click drag, is there simply a way to get the touchpad to register a right click even when there are two fingers on it?
    Last edited by jaredsk74; February 6th, 2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: More info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybtrash View Post
    Hello, does everything else work with BIOS 216? I read on arch linux forums, that with BIOS 216 there are new problems introduced with the battery, it doesn't get powered anymore to 100%, but gets stuck at about 70%. Or something is wrong with the power status. Can you confirm those problems with BIOS 216?
    Hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it! Yes currently the laptop is fully charged (green light) on the charger adapter, but unity is telling me it has another 1hr05 to charge.

Only other issue I have is my wifi, which I cant put my finger on. It seems to go slow if I have 2 external monitors plugged in (VGA and HDMI). Seems to run fine with one plugged in. I need to confirm this, does anyone else see anything like this?

EDIT: Suddenly went from 1hr10mins to charge to fully charged (although the adapter light had been green for around an hour!)
    Last edited by charlie0440; February 6th, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Beans

What are you guys experiences with external monitors? Both VGA and HDMI turn on instantly, but they turn off the internal monitor. Ubuntu's 'Displays' configuration dialog also doesn't show the internal monitor anymore.

Unplugging the external monitors don't turn the internal monitor on. The wiki says:

External monitor management

The connection of an external monitor works out of the box. However the function keys of the laptop should not be used to activate the external monitor. USE ONLY THE UBUNTU/KUBUNTU SYSTEMS SETTING FUNCTIONS to activate and configure it.

In case the monitor of the laptop can not be reactivated after the external monitor is disconnected, follow the following procedure:

Set the laptop in sleep mode.
    Disconnect everything from the laptop: external monitor, power supply and any USB connection or device
    Wake up the laptop again.
    This does not seem to work for me.
    Last edited by peter rus; February 10th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

My external monitors seems to work fine. The first time I used it I had an issue but now I have 2 externals connected running fine. It shows all 3 ie including the laptop monitor in the display settings but I can only have 2 running at time.

If I want the laptop and one external monitor on I just enable that in the ubuntu display settings. I do have an issue with the display settings though. It seems I can only make one change at a time ie if I set a monitor to on I then need to close and re open the display to make any other change ie to turn one off. After each change the monitors are not clickable in the display window.

Beans

I had problems using microHDMI port, too:
    Using a 5m/17ft microHDMI -> HDMI cable made my system hang completely during handshake with my Onkyo AV receiver, xrandr didn't even show a new device on microHDMI port.
    With a Samsung TV, handshake was a success and xrandr reported a fully funktionally display on the port, but turning the display on by 'xrand --auto', didn't gave me an image on Samsung TV. I believe this is because a low voltage on HDMI port AND high attenuation of this very cheap cable! (Motorola Xoom does work with this cheap cable)

I finally had success with a Hama microHDMI-HDMI adapter cable (15cm/6") plus a 1.5m/60" standard HDMI cable.

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    This does not seem to work for me.
    Did you try the Fn + F8 combo?
    I'm using Openbox with gnome-settings-daemon (I believe, it's also default on Unity) atm, it works like a charm here just by using this combo...
    If screen goes black (which is extremely rare), I just hit Fn+F8 for switching between following modes:
    1. eDP1 (embedded DisplayPort 1 == laptop display) single mode
    2. eDP1 cloning mode
    3. extended desktop -- eDP1 is primary
    4. external monitor single mode

It may also help, if you assign a key combo with a script similar to this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    xrandr --output eDP1 --auto
    ...to re-enable it just in case of a black screen... ?

Beans

Exclamation UX21A BIOS 216 bug?

Hey guys,
    Just played with BIOS settings of UX21A v.216 and I think I found a bug:
    Go to advanced settings tab -> pre-allocated VRAM -> set it to 512 MByte
    Now xev doesn't show any keystrokes on Fn combos !!! Changing brightness is also horrible slow.
    This does not occur with other settings (64,128,256).

Can somebody confirm this on UX31A or UX32VD?
    Please also report your BIOS version and model number!

Might be worth an entry to the wiki...

Beans

Re: UX21A BIOS 216 bug?

Hello, I have a UX31A in the mail.

Would 12.04 LTS or 12.10 be better for hardware compatibility? Thanks.

Beans

Re: UX21A BIOS 216 bug?

Quote Originally Posted by mace2 View Post
    Hello, I have a UX31A in the mail.

Would 12.04 LTS or 12.10 be better for hardware compatibility? Thanks.
    12.10 with latest mainline-kernel as described in the wiki

Or you just wait for Raring Ringtail (13.04) -- 04/28/2013
    Last edited by nexero; February 26th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nexero View Post
    I had problems using microHDMI port, too:
    Using a 5m/17ft microHDMI -> HDMI cable made my system hang completely during handshake with my Onkyo AV receiver, xrandr didn't even show a new device on microHDMI port.
    With a Samsung TV, handshake was a success and xrandr reported a fully funktionally display on the port, but turning the display on by 'xrand --auto', didn't gave me an image on Samsung TV. I believe this is because a low voltage on HDMI port AND high attenuation of this very cheap cable! (Motorola Xoom does work with this cheap cable)

I finally had success with a Hama microHDMI-HDMI adapter cable (15cm/6") plus a 1.5m/60" standard HDMI cable.

Did you try the Fn + F8 combo?
    I'm using Openbox with gnome-settings-daemon (I believe, it's also default on Unity) atm, it works like a charm here just by using this combo...
    If screen goes black (which is extremely rare), I just hit Fn+F8 for switching between following modes:
    1. eDP1 (embedded DisplayPort 1 == laptop display) single mode
    2. eDP1 cloning mode
    3. extended desktop -- eDP1 is primary
    4. external monitor single mode

It may also help, if you assign a key combo with a script similar to this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    xrandr --output eDP1 --auto
    ...to re-enable it just in case of a black screen... ?
    Currently running 3.8.0-030800-generic (mainline) and the issue seems to be solved Thanks anyway!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter rus View Post
    Currently running 3.8.0-030800-generic (mainline) and the issue seems to be solved Thanks anyway!
    OK, I'm also running this kernel... I didn't realize, because I never tried with a kernel below
    Let's take it to the wiki...

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast