Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by amoniak View Post
    hello

i have a new UX31a

since i dont like windows, I compleately removed all the windows partitions and installed 12.04 64bit from a live usb stick (after disabling secure boot in the bios (version 215)).

I successfully installed ubuntu, four partitions (/home, /, swap and /boot), boot loader on /dev/sda

after reboot the laptop jumps into the bios and I dont have the harddrive as an option to boot. actually there are no options to boot...

I booted from the USB stick again into the LIVE system and tried to repair grub, reboot, no success

please help!
    Follow either of the two methods here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1981 View Post
    Hi Everyone. I have the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-AB71, and I have gotten everything to work with Linux Mint 14 except for the brightness keys. I have kernel 3.7.0-7-generic which was installed from the xorg bleeding edge repository.

The brightness keys actually work, somewhat. The problem is that I can adjust the brightness down only one "notch" so to speak, or back up to the maximum. I presume there is some gnome setting I need to tweak? By the way, I'm using the Cinnamon desktop environment, which is based off of gnome 3. I decided to ask here because this seemed to be the most active group regarding the Zenbook Prime. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Same iussue for me. I'm on a fresh ubuntu 12.10 install (using N56VZ) using the latest 3.7.0-7-generic kernel from xorg-edge.
    Using both unity and lxde, same iussue at all.

PS: I hate ubuntu, like much archlinux and debian, so will the only kernel solve the fn-keys bug on other distros?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore94 View Post
    Same iussue for me. I'm on a fresh ubuntu 12.10 install (using N56VZ) using the latest 3.7.0-7-generic kernel from xorg-edge.
    Using both unity and lxde, same iussue at all.
    This whole thread is about the Zenbook Prime line: other laptops may behave differently.

PS: I hate ubuntu, like much archlinux and debian, so will the only kernel solve the fn-keys bug on other distros?
    If you really hate Ubuntu that much and love other distros, fair enough - but please bear in mind that this forum is called "Ubuntu Forums" for a reason, therefore if you hate Ubuntu and you would like to receive support on other distros, you may be in the wrong place.
    I think that you should post in the debian/arch forums instead as they may be able to help you better than we can do...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fab.head View Post
    This whole thread is about the Zenbook Prime line: other laptops may behave differently.

If you really hate Ubuntu that much and love other distros, fair enough - but please bear in mind that this forum is called "Ubuntu Forums" for a reason, therefore if you hate Ubuntu and you would like to receive support on other distros, you may be in the wrong place.
    I think that you should post in the debian/arch forums instead as they may be able to help you better than we can do...

First of all the fact that I hate ubuntu is only a personal idea, and since I'm using this distros right now I think that I could ask to someone that has better knowledge how to solve a (a this point common) iussue. If I need help to solve iussues/bugs when using arch/debian I'll ask to relative forums.

Anyway the N56 and the Zenbook Prime has a very similar behavior, only for this reason I posted here.

Beans

First of all the fact that I hate ubuntu is only a personal idea, and since I'm using this distros right now I think that I could ask to someone that has better knowledge how to solve a (a this point common) iussue. If I need help to solve iussues/bugs when using arch/debian I'll ask to relative forums.

Anyway the N56 and the Zenbook Prime has a very similar behavior, only for this reason I posted here.
    Sorry dude, but fab.head is right. You can't expect to get help in Ubuntu Forums when you express your personal opinion of hate towards that distro. Not to sound preachy but hate is a pretty strong word in English so I'd use it more carefully.

I personally use arch linux, but I wouldn't say I hate Ubuntu. Especially not in this forum!

2 cents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madmack View Post
    Sorry dude, but fab.head is right. You can't expect to get help in Ubuntu Forums when you express your personal opinion of hate towards that distro. Not to sound preachy but hate is a pretty strong word in English so I'd use it more carefully.

I personally use arch linux, but I wouldn't say I hate Ubuntu. Especially not in this forum!

2 cents.
    I couldn't understand why you're so angry . I've only express my personal idea.
    Maybe I used the wrong word, I did not want to offend anyone. I'm italian and english isn't my primary language. I apologize if anyone was offended.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1981 View Post
    Hi Everyone. I have the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-AB71, and I have gotten everything to work with Linux Mint 14 except for the brightness keys. I have kernel 3.7.0-7-generic which was installed from the xorg bleeding edge repository.

The brightness keys actually work, somewhat. The problem is that I can adjust the brightness down only one "notch" so to speak, or back up to the maximum. I presume there is some gnome setting I need to tweak? By the way, I'm using the Cinnamon desktop environment, which is based off of gnome 3. I decided to ask here because this seemed to be the most active group regarding the Zenbook Prime. Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh and also, if anyone else is wondering, installing this kernel solved any and all Wifi issues I was having with dropped packets/slow speeds, etc. No need to disable draft-n mode as the community page suggests...
    SOLVED: First of all you need to:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

find the line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and add "acpi_osi="

make it look like this:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="

close gedit and:
    sudo update-grub

reboot and enjoy your FN Keys finally working!!

Tested on my N56VZ with ubuntu 12.10 and 3.7.0-7-generic kernel. Also I think that if you have an nvidia-optimus system you must also install bumblebee drivers.
    Last edited by salvatore94; December 20th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Beans

Yes! that works on my N56VJ - Thanks.

Beans

SOLVED: First of all you need to:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

find the line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and add "acpi_osi="

make it look like this:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="

close gedit and:
    sudo update-grub

reboot and enjoy your FN Keys finally working!!

Tested on my N56VZ with ubuntu 12.10 and 3.7.0-7-generic kernel. Also I think that if you have an nvidia-optimus system you must also install bumblebee drivers.
    I'll try this out. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Okay salvator94, so I tried your solution, and it does work. However, I lose the visual indicator bar window in Cinnamon which pops up when I adjust the brightness. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds, to so speak?

For instance, I still have the keyboard backlight brightness indicator bar window popping up with full functionality (can adjust brightness all the way down, all the way up for the keyboard backlight and do not lose the indicator window).

PS I also despise Ubuntu's desktop environment, though the support is good and the repositories are great. I think Unity was a huge, huge mistake, and I'm in the Linux Mint camp for good. According to distrowatch, I'm not alone!

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast