Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsk74 View Post
    So aside from the brightness keys, your install is working pretty well?
    Yeah I love it... it's a great machine.
    There's a few things I could do to improve it (like get the brightness working and try to do some power optimisation) but I still highly rate it in it's current state.

Beans

Smile Re: Backlight function keys Fn+F5 & Fn+F6 have been fixed

Quote Originally Posted by nexero View Post
    Backlight function keys Fn+F5 & Fn+F6 have been fixed in recend nightly mainline kernel "drm-intel-experimental":
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...10-20-quantal/

Changelog dump:

Kernel works for me, seems very stable (Ubuntu 12.10).
    If you use kernel parameter "acpi_backlight=vendor", remove it!

I have an N56VJ with 12.10 installed, which also has the F5, F6 screen brightness problem. A few days ago the updater installed 3.7.0-4 kernel and now these keys are working, and xev reports events when I press them. The implementation is not perfect though, with the function keys I can only dim the backlight about 10 percent. Suspect they are updating the wrong "brightness" variable but I can't find anywhere the scripts that do the actual changing of brightness.

The previous kernel was 3.5.0-18.

Beans

I've just installed the latest quantal kernel v. 3.7.0-5.13 (just the kernel packages) from xorg-edgers, and now also the brightness keys (fn+f5 and fn+f6) work as expected.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fab.head View Post
    I've just installed the latest quantal kernel v. 3.7.0-5.13 (just the kernel packages) from xorg-edgers, and now also the brightness keys (fn+f5 and fn+f6) work as expected.
    Does the fn+F5 take the brightness all the way down?

Beans

I just picked up the ux31a a few days ago. I plan to wipe the drive and install Ubuntu, but was wondering what is everyone's plan for getting windows back on to the machine.

Say 3 years down the line I want to sell it. I need to reinstall windows 8, has anyone managed to get their windows key from Asus?

Mine just came with a windows 8 sticker on the bottom and no key. It activated without needed it, so assuming its entered at the factory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by charlie0440 View Post
    Mine just came with a windows 8 sticker on the bottom and no key.
    Hi everyone,

I bought an UX32VD in July and mine has one of those Windows stickers with key on the charger. So you might have your key on there, too!

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by charlie0440 View Post
    I just picked up the ux31a a few days ago. I plan to wipe the drive and install Ubuntu, but was wondering what is everyone's plan for getting windows back on to the machine.
    Can you replace the drive in a UX? I never powered up my N56 with the windows drive installed, a new SSD was about 10 percent of the total cost of the machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wb8nbs View Post
    Does the fn+F5 take the brightness all the way down?
    Yes, it does.
    fn+f5 and fn+f6 allow for a total of 12 brightness steps, from pitch black up to maximum brightness.

BTW, Kernel 3.7.0-7.15 is now available from xorg-edgers

Beans
    Hidden!

hello

i have a new UX31a

since i dont like windows, I compleately removed all the windows partitions and installed 12.04 64bit from a live usb stick (after disabling secure boot in the bios (version 215)).

I successfully installed ubuntu, four partitions (/home, /, swap and /boot), boot loader on /dev/sda

after reboot the laptop jumps into the bios and I dont have the harddrive as an option to boot. actually there are no options to boot...

I booted from the USB stick again into the LIVE system and tried to repair grub, reboot, no success

please help!
    Last edited by amoniak; December 18th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

Beans

Hi Everyone. I have the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-AB71, and I have gotten everything to work with Linux Mint 14 except for the brightness keys. I have kernel 3.7.0-7-generic which was installed from the xorg bleeding edge repository.

The brightness keys actually work, somewhat. The problem is that I can adjust the brightness down only one "notch" so to speak, or back up to the maximum. I presume there is some gnome setting I need to tweak? By the way, I'm using the Cinnamon desktop environment, which is based off of gnome 3. I decided to ask here because this seemed to be the most active group regarding the Zenbook Prime. Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh and also, if anyone else is wondering, installing this kernel solved any and all Wifi issues I was having with dropped packets/slow speeds, etc. No need to disable draft-n mode as the community page suggests...

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast