Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Zenbook Prime dual-booting tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by afulldeck View Post
    Good article. I would suggest adding some words about not using disk encryption until the disks have been partitioned.
    Hi afulldeck,

Thanks for the compliment. Could you expand on what you mean? I haven't selected disk encryption at all so haven't run into any issues. I did a couple of searches and only found issues relating to increased wear on the SSD, which a lot of articles refute.

Also, do you mean selecting the option to encrypt your Home folder when installing?

Thanks again!

Edit: OK, it seems there might be issues if the Windows portion is encrypted prior to resize/shrink. Also configuring the bootloader could be tricky.
    Last edited by jaffro83; September 16th, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: More information

Beans

3G USB modem

Oh guys, maybe just another note. I haven't been able to get a 3G USB modem working on 12.10, even with all the module workarounds. It does work on my Mint install at home (Mint 13).

Beans

Re: Zenbook Prime dual-booting tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by jaffro83 View Post
    Hi afulldeck,

Thanks for the compliment. Could you expand on what you mean? I haven't selected disk encryption at all so haven't run into any issues. I did a couple of searches and only found issues relating to increased wear on the SSD, which a lot of articles refute.

Also, do you mean selecting the option to encrypt your Home folder when installing?

Thanks again!

Edit: OK, it seems there might be issues if the Windows portion is encrypted prior to resize/shrink. Also configuring the bootloader could be tricky.
    Yes, your edit is right. I found this out the hard way. I had a machine that I thought I would partition (for dual boot with ubuntu) but after some wasted time trying to partition the disk I failed. It was then I realized that if you have encrypted your disk you must first decrypt the entire disk then resize and re-encrypt. I had completely forgot that point sec had been installed.

Beans

Re: 3G USB modem

Quote Originally Posted by jaffro83 View Post
    Oh guys, maybe just another note. I haven't been able to get a 3G USB modem working on 12.10, even with all the module workarounds. It does work on my Mint install at home (Mint 13).
    I have no problems connecting with a Huawai 3G modem (on Kubuntu 12.10). No workarounds - it just connected.
    Best regards,
    Jeppe

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Hello, I've some trouble with my UX32A.
    HDMI doesn't work, do you have know why ?

Code:
    $ xrandr
    xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
    Screen 0: minimum 1366 x 768, current 1368 x 768, maximum 1368 x 768
    default connected 1368x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
       1366x768        0.0  
       1368x768        0.0*
    Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
    carte 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], périphérique 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
      Sous-périphériques: 1/1
      Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
    carte 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], périphérique 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Sous-périphériques: 1/1
      Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BajK_ View Post
    So, today my new toy finally arrived and I installed Kubuntu 12.10 Alpha 3 on it. And it just doesn’t work right.

The Kernel 3.5.0-11 give me a kernel panic on every start up and pressing Shift to access Grub to use an older one also is not very reliable (often Grub just continues booting).
    Kernel 3.5.0-6 works quite well.
    I installed Kubuntu 12.10 beta.
    This is fixed.
    What doesn’t work:
    * Influencing keyboard brightness. It is turned on to max when I turn the device on but stays offline once I have put the device into standby and resumed. I cannot turn it on or off or dim it down manually.
    * Screen brightness buttons. I knew that and wasn’t that severe if KDE’s power management didn’t suck and kept reverting the screen brightness to maximum burning my retina.
    * Bluetooth / WiFi toggle is not reliable. Why do all companies think it is a good idea to put those on a *single* button? My old Acer had this sickness as well and it was a real pain using it. Was like: WiFi on, Bluetooth on, Both on, Both off … and on the Asus it is even worse. When I power up the machine, Bluetooth is somewhat on but the device is not discoverable. Blah. Just doesn’t work to "just quickly send a file".
    These things still does not work.
    Except for Bluetooth. In the beginning, it did not catch any devices. I tried to install Blueman, but it was missing a gtk-missing-image icon. I hacked it (changed gtk-missing-image to image-missing in two lines in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueman/Functions.py) , but then it threw a 514 unknown error when I tried to scan for devices. But now it works - I guess it must have been updated?

And, I sometimes get artefacts on the screen, especially on areas that are influenced by desktop effects (panels have white stripes, or window shadows are white). And also overall KWin performance is really poor. Seems to be a bad Xorg edgers driver today? On the Live CD the system performed awesomely smooth.

Also, the touchpad is a bit weird. I applied the Palm rejection xorg conf thing someone posted here but the left mouse button is weird. I can click and hold almost anywhere (ie. press down and hear that click) and drag things but when I actually click and hold where the left mouse button is supposed to be I keep doing some multi touch guestures.
    Those white stripes are really a pain ... Today they were visible in all my headings in a libreoffice presentation. They are often visible in the bottom panel, also. Anybody who can tell me how to report this bug?

The touchpad seems ok, now.

Beans

Hi!
    I'm running Mint 13 - based on Ubuntu 12.04 - with MATE Desktop (fork of Gnome 2).

I've read 90% of this thread and tried many things posted here. I should point that I've tried a bunch of 3,4 and 3.5 kernels, but all 3.5 fails to boot and it happens beggining with 3.4.5 too.
    As there's no Asus WMI DKMS patch for 3.4 series, I followed the brilliant post of Leon Bottou and, under 3.2.0 I managed to have a command to fix keyboard backlight and clickpad is working properly too.

Altough the LCD Backlight script didn't worked, because there's no "/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness" in my system o_O Neither do acpi_0/brightnesss. /sys/class/backlight is a blank folder.
    Is there any place where I could search for the LCD backlight config?

Also, I should say that I couldn't get most of Fn keys work. Only the "Disable clickpad" key is working of the ones that doesn't work out of the box.

EDIT: I'm using an UX31A.

EDIT 2: ditching a little bit around modules - as I noticed that, aparently, the lack of the asus_nb_wmi module made my keyboard backlight control vanish - I've noticed that:
    Code:
    $ sudo modprobe i915 
    FATAL: Error inserting i915 (/lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    This looks like the module related to graphics and stuff, right? dmesg simply says "Unknown parameter `lvds_downlclock'". Pressing the backlight FN keys also prints a bunch of ACPI-related errors on dmesg.
    Last edited by igorsantos07; September 18th, 2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: adding info on modules

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to use the kernel 3.5.0-13-generic anymore, when I boot it, I get to kdm, but it's constantly loading and I can't login. It seems like it's a loop, I then have to hard-reset (push the power button).
    So I now I'm booting 3.5.0-10-generic and everything works fine.

Anyone else noticed problems with 3.5.0-13?

Beans

I'm new to the Zenbook (and Ubuntu too), I followed the instructions on the wiki page and I have still some things to ask and note.

- Is it possible to perform pinch zooming with the touchpad? I didn't find the matching preference in the xorg config file and was not able to use touchegg. And as the pinch zoom or the rotate function are gestures that are recognized on Windows it should also work somehow with Ubuntu, I think.

- On the wiki page it is said it is possible to consume less than 6W with an UX21A. That's also possible with the model UX31A

- Is it possible to turn off the keyboard backlight by default? Everytime after starting I have to switch it off manually.

That's it, for now

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by FeuRenard View Post
    I'm new to the Zenbook (and Ubuntu too), I followed the instructions on the wiki page and I have still some things to ask and note.

- Is it possible to perform pinch zooming with the touchpad? I didn't find the matching preference in the xorg config file and was not able to use touchegg. And as the pinch zoom or the rotate function are gestures that are recognized on Windows it should also work somehow with Ubuntu, I think.

- On the wiki page it is said it is possible to consume less than 6W with an UX21A. That's also possible with the model UX31A

- Is it possible to turn off the keyboard backlight by default? Everytime after starting I have to switch it off manually.

That's it, for now
    welcome aboard!

out of curiosity, how did you manage to switch it off manually??

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast