Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: UX31A on 12.10 - touchpad

Quote Originally Posted by dancat View Post
    I did and i have two issues, one is this with the touchpad, the other one is even more bad: the USB sticks or external hard drives are no longer recognized and mounted. Any clues about what can be done?
    That was happening to me after first installing Ubuntu 12.04. A kernel update fixed that. After upgrading to 12.10 (with an even newer kernel), it still works for me.

Beans

Question Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

So with the kernel from 12.10 how well does the track pad work? Would you guys get a UX21A again given the issues you've had?

Sadly someone broke into my house and stole almost every computer I own and I'm slowly trying to replace em.

One of the laptops they stole was a newer HP which had a terrible track pad, and I'd hate to end up with another track pad which barely worked with Ubuntu - right click under ubuntu was impossibly difficult.

Thanks,

Dave

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by dtyree77 View Post
    So with the kernel from 12.10 how well does the track pad work? Would you guys get a UX21A again given the issues you've had?

Sadly someone broke into my house and stole almost every computer I own and I'm slowly trying to replace em.

One of the laptops they stole was a newer HP which had a terrible track pad, and I'd hate to end up with another track pad which barely worked with Ubuntu - right click under ubuntu was impossibly difficult.

Thanks,

Dave
    The most recent updated kernel (actually last night) on Quantal Proposed has made the touchpad fantastic again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jaffro83 View Post
    The most recent updated kernel (actually last night) on Quantal Proposed has made the touchpad fantastic again.
    I often find that in Linux circles, "fantastic" is a fluid concept

Can you elaborate what you mean? Does the palm detection work right out of the box ? How about right click, does it work on the clickpad, or we still need to "quickly double tap" ?

I have accepted the shortcomings on the linux driver, and I can use it fairly ok on 12.04, with some supporting scripts.
    But I would not call it a fantastic by any means.. Try a modern mac laptop on OSX, and the touchpad experience is better by several factors..

I don't mean to bash anyone, I am Linux user myself as well, but still, let's be honest and compare to the best

Beans

I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 on my UX31A.

Suspend/resume works fine if suspending from the menu in the top-right corner of the screen.

However, if I suspend the laptop by closing the lid, it doesn't resume correctly. The screen is black, but I can move the cursor around.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    DocentDAMP

Beans

UX31A on 12.10 - USB Ports

That was happening to me after first installing Ubuntu 12.04. A kernel update fixed that. After upgrading to 12.10 (with an even newer kernel), it still works for me.
    The strange thing for me si that if at startup there is something in one of the USB ports, everything works. If not, then it does not work at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuppoTaalasmaa View Post
    I often find that in Linux circles, "fantastic" is a fluid concept

Can you elaborate what you mean? Does the palm detection work right out of the box ? How about right click, does it work on the clickpad, or we still need to "quickly double tap" ?

I have accepted the shortcomings on the linux driver, and I can use it fairly ok on 12.04, with some supporting scripts.
    But I would not call it a fantastic by any means.. Try a modern mac laptop on OSX, and the touchpad experience is better by several factors..

I don't mean to bash anyone, I am Linux user myself as well, but still, let's be honest and compare to the best
    Hi There,

By fantastic I mean not jerky as all hell (as it is with the stock 12.10 kernel). On that kernel I could hardly get the cursor to move reliably. Right now the sensitivity is set perfectly for light touch operation.

So sensitivity, right click (by physically depressing the actual clickpad) works. Two-finger taps to right click works. Two finger scrolling works.

I've never seen the need for palm rejection so I don't really know whether it's working or not. I almost never touch the touchpad with my wrists while typing so dunno ... maybe I'm lucky .

Oh one thing which doesn't work is pinch-to-zoom. I'm not sure if one has to enable it somewhere though?

I'm really loving my zenbook on the latest kernel (just use the one from "proposed"). Everything is working, including USB 3 drive support on all ports since a recent kernel update.

The only thing for me now will be when the Wine PPAs start supporting Quantal so I can upgrade to wine 1.5 without having to compile myself.

Beans

Zenbook Prime dual-booting tutorial

Hey guys,

I wrote this tutorial about dual-booting for those who are still doing research into installing Ubuntu on the Prime, maybe it can save from unnecessary headaches.

http://www.citizenstain.com/2012/09/...nd-ubuntu.html

Cheers, J

Beans

Re: Zenbook Prime dual-booting tutorial

Hey guys,

I wrote this tutorial about dual-booting for those who are still doing research into installing Ubuntu on the Prime, maybe it can save from unnecessary headaches.

http://www.citizenstain.com/2012/09/...nd-ubuntu.html

Cheers, J
    Good article. I would suggest adding some words about not using disk encryption until the disks have been partitioned.

Beans

Hello, I want to report that touchpad toggle key ( fn+F9 ) still won't work even after I installed the newer kernel ( 3.5.3-030503 ) and bios ( 212 ). And it should work according to the Wiki page:

Now follow the instructions and install the DKMS package asus-wmi-dkms_0.2_all.deb in order to enable the other function keys (apart from fn+f5 and fn+f6 which still don't work):

(...)

Alternatively, install kernel 3.5.3 mainline (available here) which no longer needs the DKMS package.

My system:

Asus UX31A with BIOS ver.212
    Ubuntu 12.04 server, Linux kernel 3.5.3-030503
    xorg-edgers ppa added and upgraded

I've installed xserver-xorg and other stuffs manually because I don't want to install any DE. I use only OpenBox as my main desktop environment.

Because the wiki page and this thread seem for desktop user, I think the problem may be caused by some missing packages I didn't installed them. So before I confirm that, I want to check if your fn key works as the Wiki page says. Thanks !

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast