Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by rockprincess View Post
    Hi guys,

I've just treated myself with a UX31a - I'm still smiling from ear to ear

EDITED because I'm a knob!

are you guys using the 64bit version, or still the 32bit version?
    You need the 64-bit version if you want to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7.
    See the note here.

I'm personally using the 64 bit version.

Beans

Hello,

Asus UX31A.
    New linux user here. I follow the guide here to get the function keys to work. After I do the xorg-edgers repositor step I end up with this error

http://i.imgur.com/ylVzk.jpg

The icons for the launcher disappear. Also the icons for when you alt tab is gone. Everything seems to work still though.
    This was on a fresh 12.04 install. It happened before also, but then I did not know what exactly caused it so I re installed Ubuntu and this time found what it was.

I have checked that the unity plugin was working in compizconfig-settings-manager and tried unity --reset. That didn't work, I dont think it is the same problem since the buttons seems to be there still.
    Last edited by portedGoblin; July 13th, 2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot model, fixed image

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ruibuntu View Post
    What do you mean "hosed my graphics settings"?
    It seemed that the intel graphics driver didn't work as well as the newer kernel for me.

It switched to a different resolution upon reboot, which I was unable to change at all in the settings. And gnome shell defaulted to the fallback mode which I can't stand.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mixer2 View Post
    Google Chrome Browser doesn't seem to work correctly. Very poor scrolling performance (it doesn't scroll most of the time at all) and sometimes it doesn't redraw when it should, so elements are displayed at wrong positons and other strange graphic bugs. The graphic divers updated today, which maybe fixed the redraw problem. Couldn't reproduce it since the update, but didn't spent much time on it. Since i use Chrome as main browser that is a really annoying problem.
    The chat window of the empathy chat client has also some redraw problems.

So far my experiences after two days of productive work with the ux31a. As long as i don't do the stuff that i know that it leads to problems (using fn-f2, (dis-)connect anything in standby, boot with anything else than power connected, using chrome, closing the lid with exernal monitor connected) it runs very fast and stable.
    Did you experience the redraw problems under KDE or Unity? Because I've experienced something similar to that with the Konsole application in Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. It didn't redraw its window when resized. Ultimately I found out it was a KDE problem (I thought it was a strange driver bug -- I have an AMD Firepro graphic card with the proprietary drivers on) with the KDE desktop effects. After I turned off the desktop effects everything started working fine.

I think someone should write about the "(dis-)connect anything in standby, boot with anything else than power connected, using chrome, closing the lid with exernal monitor connected" on the wiki page. Some kind of a warning about it. Also, did you file a bug report for this? Are we expecting it do disappear magically in 12.10 or...?

update: battery life at 65% screen brightness for Internet browsing is estimated around 5.5hrs as reported by http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/5/313...e-ux31a-review. What's the estimate for Linux? By the way, they really hated the touchpad. Is it really that bad?
    Last edited by rex86; July 13th, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Beans

the touchpad seems to work MUCH better if the option "disable touchpad while typing" is disabled. i experienced very strange behavior with that option enabled (it's enabled by default).
    there is just one thing that's still bugging me about the touchpad configuration. is it possible to completely disable an area of the touchpad via synclient? sometimes i slightly touch the bottom left edge just before i really push the button to drag anything away. that leads to a two finger scroll gesture, instead of just moving the cursor. and i never use that area for gestures or moving the cursor, so if it's just disabled it would be perfect for me.

@portedGoblin: it seems to be a bug in yesterdays update of xorg edgers. since xorg edgers isn't a stable ppa, bugs may appear and be fixed from update to update.
    there are also other strange bugs. for example if i open the battery statistics, close it and reopen, it doesn't show anything. after reboot or standby anything crashes and asks me if i want to send a report, etc etc etc. but there are no crashes of the system and most time it works just fine, what's most important for me. it's just a notebook with very new hardware and it needs some time till everything is supported by stable versions.
    asiandubs solution for the working touchpad without xorg-edgers should be much more stable, than using xorg-edgers. maybe you'll give it a try.

@rex86: i had the problems in unity with xorg-edgers. it was definitely a bug in the graphic card drivers. but chrome does work now, seems that they already fixed it.
    maybe we should make a list of known bugs, check them if they're reproduceable by different people and discuss them. and then file bug reports and update the wiki.
    imho the touchpad is great, but the linux drivers still aren't perfect.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok, I have now read a bit into the Wubi Installer documentary. It's a cool idea, but I don't really like the limitations of it.
    First all this is installed on an existing NTFS partition, and it can only be 30gb at its largest.
    i always thought Wubi would create new partitions from the space left of the ssd, and turn it into a ext4.

Another thing that bugs me is that Wubi can't install Kubuntu because of a wrong download link (http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/1...amd64.metalink doesn't exist) instead it should download http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...amd64.metalink

I might file a bug report for that.

Now I've decided that maybe the best for me would be, install Kubuntu properly the way I always have and use the backup iso files that i've created to run Win7 in a virtual box. Afterall I don't need Windows that often.

Does anybody tried running Win7 in a virtual box?

Beans

you never need more than 30 gigs for linux, do you? instead usually most of the space is used for personal files in your home directory.
    it should be possible to create an image on your ntfs partition and just mount it to /home at startup.
    If you want to install Kubuntu with wubi just download the kubuntu image and put it in the same directory as the wubi executable. then wubi won't try to download anything and just uses the image.
    there is also a wubi executable in the cd image. so you can mount it and just execute that wubi application.
    windows 7 runs fine in virtualbox, but it's quite slow. especially the 4gigs of ram on the ux31a just aren't enough to run 2 productive environments at the same time. it's ok for simple tasks, like testing a webpage in internet explorer, or something like that. but complex applications would run very slow. for which tasks do you need your windows installation?
    and i don't think it's possible to use the ux31a backup isos to create your virtual machines windows installation. just use a windows image and make a fresh installation.
    btw you forgot the third option. just install windows and linux (not wubi) side by side. this may be the best solution for your problem.

Beans

Random freezes with kernel 3.2 and Wiki

Hello everybody!

I also got an Asus UX31A and installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it. With the stock kernel I got many random freezes and so I installed kernel 3.4.4 hoping that my problems are gone.

I installed the kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.4.4-quantal/.

It is very important that you install both the linux-image* package as well as the linux-image-extra* package to get your network card working.

The wiki page to our new laptop describes 2 methods to fix the fn-keys bug. Maybe we can describe a little bit more of how to apply this patch and which kernel is needed.

But btw, great work so far!
    Last edited by maroony; July 14th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

Beans

Arrow Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A issues

Quote Originally Posted by mixer2 View Post
    @rex86: ...maybe we should make a list of known bugs, check them if they're reproduceable by different people and discuss them. and then file bug reports and update the wiki.
    imho the touchpad is great, but the linux drivers still aren't perfect.
    About the touchpad. It appears to me that Windows drivers are also not perfect, as many users do not like the touchpad at all.

Yesterday, I took the time and reread the entire thread (all 11 pages) . I believe that Ubuntu 12.10 will remove most of the current problems. Except maybe the power problems, the hangs at the login screen when on battery power, and the plug-in problems.

I suggest that we put at the end of section "Bugs and Issues" more info about this with instructions for others on how to test this, so that we can file a bug report.

edit: also what battery life do you get for Internet browsing/video playback?
    Last edited by rex86; July 14th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Beans

Please have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=60

(Not only that post, but the whole thread might be interesting)

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast