Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot connect to wired network

Beans

Re: Cannot connect to wired network

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    Hey thanks for that. I'll probably be installing 12.04.1 next, and if it does the same thing as 12.04 I'll use your method and disable network manager and enable the internet connection manually.
    In my case it didn't solve problem - i had info "cable is not plugged" at "wired connections". I tried to disable network manager, delete wired connections but this is what worked for me:

This is what i entered to a /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
    firekage@deusex:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces 

#auto eth0
     #iface eth0 inet dhcp 

#auto eth1 
    #iface eth1 inet dhcp  

# The loopback network interface
     auto lo 
    iface lo inet loopback 

# The primary network interface 
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    And with the second one commands it works with eth1 (cable is pluged here). If uncomment eth1 here than i don't have connection. Also it there is only "the loopbasck network interface" without the "primary network interface" section than there is no network either.

This is what i added to a /etc/NetworkManager/Network.conf

Code:
    firekage@deusex:~$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf 

[main] plugins=ifupdown,keyfile 
    #dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=my mac adres

[ifupdown] managed=true

firekage@deusex:~$
    and my wired connections is managed in network-manager applet in Ubuntu.

Internet/connection works. The problem is that i don't know why i had to change these files when on 11.10 it was right after boot and automatically. I had to add manually it on 12.04.

Beans

I tried editing the configs as above but still no go...

Beans

I really, I mean REALLY appreciate what these guys do in putting together this OS, Really. If I could dump Windows I would.

But I want to rant a little....
    I started with Feisty in 2007 and networking worked with no input from me.
    Every upgrade...
    8 - no problems
    9 - no problems
    10 - no problems
    11 - no problems
    12 - all kinds of problems, with all kinds of resolutions from users.
    I can't even get the Live CD to connect to a wired network.
    With all the network problems, you would think that the developers would jump on this and provide a solid resolution.

rant off and again, I really like all flavors of *buntu
    Just wish I could get them to work or even install in some cases.
    Thanks guys

Beans

I finally fixed the problem.

I installed ubuntu 12.04 and before I rebooted for the first time I pull the ethernet plug from my router so it wouldn't have a chance to screw up my router.

After the reboot I completely removed network manager by entering the following at the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager
    I then manually set the internet connection by editing /etc/network/interfaces by entering the following at terminal:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    and editing it so it looks like this:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    I then restarted networking with

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    I then replugged the ethernet cable into the router and everything started working.

Thanks for everyone's help. I guess network manager is bugger as hell and it's good that it can be removed. I tried disabling it but it still runs in the background and screws up the internet connection and the router.

I'm happy that I can at last get ubuntu to work right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a similar problem. I just fresh installed 12.10, and NIC worked perfectly.

I use software updater to apply updates and restart the computer and BAM, no more NIC. sudo lshw reveals that my network card and wireless card are showing up as unclaimed.

How do I fix this? The proper drivers are on the machine since it works out of the box with no updates.

sudo ifconfig also has no eth0, just loopback.

What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

UPDATE: It was the kernel update. For some reason whenver I boot into the new kernel it doesn't recognize anything. If I boot into the older kernel that comes default with a fresh install, the NIC works fine.

For the moment I'm going to just delete the newer kernel and just use the older one.

Any ideas as to why the newer kernel wouldn't work?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just to share and validate: using 10.04 on my Toshiba laptop, only a year or two old, I had to disable network manager to get wireless working 100%. Two days ago I upgraded to 12.04 - and, no network. Nothing. No hard connection (eth0), no wireless. Purged gnome network manager - using wicd for gui.

Stuck the LiveCD in - it started up ok, internet connection ok, then crashed twice. First time was something to do with Unity, I think, 2nd time was network manager. Restarted LiveCD, no good.

The box should find a proper eth0 connection, since the LAN has DHCP, but it is a no go. Did a network restart (etc/init.d/networking restart)

It is deprecated, so I guess this is not the proper upstart command. It says
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    Failed to bring up eth0
    RNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
    Failed to bring up wlan0
    Hmmmm. I may go back to 10.04. Not done with this yet - and yea, gnome network manager seems a bit buggy. I've had mixed results. Some machines don't like wicd, and like network manager, and some the reverse. But more seem to like wicd.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, all I can say is wow. Do I feel dumb. Giant face-palm! The freakin' drop cable was unplugged!?! Htf that happened I do NOT know. I've been using the machine, with 10.04, and Windows, no problemo. Online, everything - but it must have been connecting wifi and I didn't notice.

Movin' on, nothin' to see here!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarcelona View Post
    UPDATE: It was the kernel update. For some reason whenver I boot into the new kernel it doesn't recognize anything. If I boot into the older kernel that comes default with a fresh install, the NIC works fine.

For the moment I'm going to just delete the newer kernel and just use the older one.

Any ideas as to why the newer kernel wouldn't work?
    What is your NIC chipset? Maybe the newer kernel doesn't have the drivers for it. It is still possible to download the driver from the manufacturer's site and install it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mbuell View Post
    Wow, all I can say is wow. Do I feel dumb. Giant face-palm! The freakin' drop cable was unplugged!?! Htf that happened I do NOT know. I've been using the machine, with 10.04, and Windows, no problemo. Online, everything - but it must have been connecting wifi and I didn't notice.

Movin' on, nothin' to see here!
    I have to revise this message - again. The laptop usually sits in a docking station - as was the case when I wrote the above. However, this was not the end of the story. A a few days ago I tried to boot into ubuntu when the box was not hard-connected, via the dock. It gave me an error on boot - "waiting for network configuration" - and took some minutes to boot. After booting, I could connect to a network. Strange. All was NOT well with my networking. However, this is a problem others have had. The most common fix is here - and it partially worked for me:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=448

For more info on possible "why" this is happening see this bug thread:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...wn/+bug/916890
    and this thread:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57545

Several threads discuss the problem from various aspects:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14474...d-network-down
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/67313...-n/68538#68538

How to just disable the "waiting" message -
    http://tech.pedersen-live.com/2012/0...n-ubuntu-boot/

Now, in my case, I'm having other hardware detection issues as well. When the box is not in the docking station, the screen is not displaying properly, the mouse is not working properly, and the gui is not responding to the keyboard properly.

I think I'm going to try and reinstall from the CD, instead of mucking about any more with this. If that doesn't work - I'll go back to 10.04, which did work. Unity is interesting, primarily for me because it is as fast as xfce on this box - and much faster than Gnome in 10.04. I don't much care for the "lens" bit - but that is for a different thread, eh?

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12