Thread: Setting up WD My Book Live

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Setting up WD My Book Live

Hey everybody!

I need help setting up my WD My Book Live. I had bought this Home Network Drive when I was only using Windows XP. I no longer use Windows XP since discovering Ubuntu , but I dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) because my brother still uses Windows XP. I imagine setting up the WD My Book Live in Windows is just hooking it up and then inserting the CD provided and then following the instructions. How would I set it up in Ubuntu?

Also, I don't know if the WD My Book Live Home Network Drive is compatible with Ubuntu Linux as the box says:
    Compatibility:
    Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard
    It doesn't list Linux in the compatibility list.

Here's a link to the WD My Book Live. I have the 2 TB one. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Re: Setting up WD My Book Live

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Setting up WD My Book Live

Thanks. I did some searching and from that it gave me the idea to look under Places>Network (I'm using GNOME Classic (No effects) DE). The WD My Book Live shows up there, but when I double-click on it to access it, here's what I'm provided with: see screenshot. This is the first time I'm installing the WD My Book Live, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do from here. Is this asking me to set up a password or am I supposed to already have a password? I don't really understand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Question Everything

Beans

Try going into set up on windows For the wd I am sure I called my workgroup Retchid the same as my Ubuntu log on. - although I did get access through another Ubuntu computer with a different profile so may not be the issue.

(set up is in software folder on the wd - just un tick the map network drive so it doesn't put another link on your desktop)

Or maybe type 192.168.2.105 then settings then network then workgroup (the default was "WORKGROUP") you can also access this in firefox in ubuntuu (I Guess if you cant then you will have to use windows)

I had no problems with setting up on Ubuntu 10.4 fiirst time and don't recall having to enter a password so perhaps it is just a workgroup name problem. After clicking the my book live icon under networks a public folder will be shown and within that are the shared folders.

Only got mine last week - thought I would have problems with Linux but none at all (except not being able to fathom out Opensuse Network dialogue boxes and hence removing Opensuse and going back to UBUNTU 10.4 which I was doing anyway)

Works good with jail broken iPad 2 with Xbmc also

Hope that helps

Note - this was a new install of ubuntu 10.4 dual boot with windows (as I could not get opensuse to find my drive at all) so there was no baggage causing problems

Ps Xbmc works fine for streaming
    Also rythymbox remembers the path and does not need to have the folders remounted on reboot which was a pleasant surprise

Sorry can't post a pic but am streaming music from it as I type In Ubuntu
    Last edited by retchid; June 23rd, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by retchid View Post
    Try going into set up on windows For the wd I am sure I called my workgroup Retchid the same as my Ubuntu log on. - although I did get access through another Ubuntu computer with a different profile so may not be the issue.

(set up is in software folder on the wd - just un tick the map network drive so it doesn't put another link on your desktop)

Or maybe type 192.168.2.105 then settings then network then workgroup (the default was "WORKGROUP") you can also access this in firefox in ubuntuu (I Guess if you cant then you will have to use windows)

I had no problems with setting up on Ubuntu 10.4 fiirst time and don't recall having to enter a password so perhaps it is just a workgroup name problem. After clicking the my book live icon under networks a public folder will be shown and within that are the shared folders.

Only got mine last week - thought I would have problems with Linux but none at all (except not being able to fathom out Opensuse Network dialogue boxes and hence removing Opensuse and going back to UBUNTU 10.4 which I was doing anyway)

Works good with jail broken iPad 2 with Xbmc also

Hope that helps

Note - this was a new install of ubuntu 10.4 dual boot with windows (as I could not get opensuse to find my drive at all) so there was no baggage causing problems

Ps Xbmc works fine for streaming
    Also rythymbox remembers the path and does not need to have the folders remounted on reboot which was a pleasant surprise

Sorry can't post a pic but am streaming music from it as I type In Ubuntu
    What I did was, I went on my Macbook Pro, and found the WD My Book Live, and set it up on the Macbook Pro. I came back to Ubuntu, went into Network, and entered the credentials and I see my folders. I don't know if this is the proper way of setting it up. I've come across some threads that say to install Samba (I don't know what that is), and I've did some research on AFP and found that it means Apple Filing Protocol. I'm just wondering how would you set up this WD My Book Live if Ubuntu was your only operating system? Thanks for your help.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Anyone know how to set this up solely using Ubuntu?
    Question Everything

Beans

Engawl,

I am new to linux and don't know really anythink about IT. If you already have find out how to install wd My Book Live in linux, would you mind giving me the recipe?

Thanks,

Kamylo

Beans

i just bought one, got home, connected with the browse network option in the file manager and ........ works perfectly.

i love linux