Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux

On this website
    Code:
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect
    Have you seen this statement"
    NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
    My question is how will this affect me?
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux

AFAIK In Firefox, each time you install Flash in any way (repositories), it'll still be 11.2.
    On the other hand, you can get subsequent versions inside Google Chrome, they have a special plugin system and a special partnership with Adobe.

https://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/...-on-linux.html

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/ad...sive-20120222/
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It means you will not be able to use websites that require the latest Flash anymore. Except in Chrome, fortunately.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    It means you will not be able to use websites that require the latest Flash anymore. Except in Chrome, fortunately.
    Why the hell would they do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm assuming that this means at some point Google Crome would have to ship as Ubuntu's default browser, there would be no sense in having a pre installed browser that supported almost no current websites.

Beans
    Hidden!

ShokwaveFlash will still be afalable, know as gnash.
    But still we may face some incompatibilities issues.
    Right now it works for me.
    Also sites like youtube produce wrorkaround for firefox 4, you can play videos on 12.04 without installing any flash player.
    http://www.youtube.com/html5/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Uikri View Post
    Why the hell would they do that?
    Because they don't want to spend money supporting a platform like Linux with a very small market share. Why else?

Quote Originally Posted by pavelchjen View Post
    ShokwaveFlash will still be afalable, know as gnash.
    Gnash is not a solution for streaming from commercial sites that employ the DRM features in Flashplayer. Amazon Instant Video already has compatbility problems on Linux and requires the installation of the deprecated HAL system to work. According to Amazon they now expect to find version 11.3 of Flash; Linux will never have a version beyond 11.2.

And for those of us who don't want our browsers telling Google about every little detail of our browsing histories? Is there a solution that works with Chromium as well?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 7th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The "latest Flash" is basically an ongoing race to keep fixing the massive security holes that keep getting discovered in (usually Windows) Flash.

I haven't seem too many web sites requiring the "latest" Flash to actually play anything.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Because they don't want to spend money supporting a platform like Linux with a very small market share. Why else?
    They have been supporting Linux for a while now. And we now have more market share.

The real reason is that google gave them the perfect excuse. Google designed their new plugin API that allows plugins to be cross platform. When flash targets this plugin API they cover android and Linux/GNU systems in one-shot, so they are saving a lot of money.

Gnash is not a solution for streaming from commercial sites that employ the DRM features in Flashplayer.
    Is this a good or bad thing?

And for those of us who don't want our browsers telling Google about every little detail of our browsing histories? Is there a solution that works with Chromium as well?
    The way I am reading this, the chrome flash player plugin will work in any browser implementing PEPPER. At this moment that means chrome and chromium. But if it becomes an important deal, then mozilla and opera will probably be motivated to implement Pepper. At first mozilla didn't find the point in implementing Pepper, but that was because there were no plugins that only worked in Pepper. But if getting new flash becomes an issue that forces other-wise firefox-liking users to move to chrom(e|ium) then mozilla will dedicate all time on it.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The way I am reading this, the chrome flash player plugin will work in any browser implementing PEPPER. At this moment that means chrome and chromium. But if it becomes an important deal, then mozilla and opera will probably be motivated to implement Pepper. At first mozilla didn't find the point in implementing Pepper, but that was because there were no plugins that only worked in Pepper. But if getting new flash becomes an issue that forces other-wise firefox-liking users to move to chrom(e|ium) then mozilla will dedicate all time on it.
    Does Pepper work in Chromium? I thought it was Chrome only but I'm not well versed. I agree that if flash versions >11.2 become important, other browsers will implement Pepper.

As I understand it, the problem with moving to HTML5 for Amazon video, Netflix etc. is that there is no way to implement DRM (digital rights management) with HTML5 and movie studios etc. won't make their content available without DRM. So it seems that until that issue is solved, flash or (worse) Silverlight will still be used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast