Thread: webcam broken by recent update

Beans

webcam broken by recent update

I'm using ubuntu 11.10 x64 on a HP Pavilion dv5-1251.
    I use Skype about once a week but today, I noticed the web cam turns on but does not display anything in Skype, Cheese, etc. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a known fix?

Beans

Unhappy Re: webcam broken by recent update

I'd be interested to see a fix for this, too. I'm experiencing the same, or at least a very similar, problem.

HP Pavilion dv9000 with the built-in webcam. Never used it much, but I do know that it used to work, because I've fooled around with that silly cheese program.

It's not worked for a while, I don't know when it broke, but it was never an issue until today. I applied for a job, and the bastards sent me a link to go do a virtual interview. Ha.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: webcam broken by recent update

Quote Originally Posted by banjobuntu View Post
    I'd be interested to see a fix for this, too. I'm experiencing the same, or at least a very similar, problem.

HP Pavilion dv9000 with the built-in webcam. Never used it much, but I do know that it used to work, because I've fooled around with that silly cheese program.

It's not worked for a while, I don't know when it broke, but it was never an issue until today. I applied for a job, and the bastards sent me a link to go do a virtual interview. Ha.
    You need to start a thread if you want help.

Beans

Re: webcam broken by recent update

Well, for me this turned out to be a problem with the webcam itself and not Ubuntu or its drivers. I tried it in Windows Vista and it stopped working there too. That's when I decided to retire the old laptop and get a new one.