View Poll Results: Will you use/buy WIndows 8.

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 12.61%
  • No

104 87.39%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you use/buy Windows 8?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Would you use/buy Windows 8?

Most of you have probably read and tried Windows 8. I was wondering how many people (especially those who use XP or 7) can actually bear with Windows 8.

Myself, I am undecided for the moment but Windows 8 comes with some huge show stoppers.

1. Visual Studio Express 11 only does metro apps
    2. Screen resolution 1024x600 (common for netbooks) does not work with metro
    3. On low resolution systems the UI feels "broken" because of no metro apps
    4. Metro app development is like iOS (only Windows store)
    5. The huge buttons don't feel right when using mouse/trackpad and a touchscreen doesn't really feel right on a non mobile device

I never really understood why people like tactile input. I don't like tablets as the screen gets really dirty within minutes of usage and you soon get tired of swiping etc. There is no avoiding friction on touch screens.

The resolution requirement and Windows Store requirement are the most irritating to me. In XP such a resolution problem would not matter as the OS could use pan and scan for higher resolutions. However in vista and higher the only way to get around resolution problems is a scaled resolution which is not a good solution.

To me Windows Vista feels like so much a better product than 8. Do people really like Windows 8 that much or is Windows 7 going to have a long long life?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Would you use/buy Windows 8?

I have two systems that I am dual booting win7 on. I will probably keep them running for a long time but when they reach their end I'll go Linux only. Windows 8 is garbage from what I can see.

Actually, if steam really does get ported to Linux, I'd drop my windows partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes.

It's fast, stable (even in alpha/beta/pre-release), I like the metro interface (especially the quick app searching/launching), and while the mouse/keyboard interaction takes a little getting used to, it actually works surprisingly well. Visually metro is a huge departure from the old Windows (and desktop in general), but like Gnome Shell or Unity, it's also a huge improvement. Plus the best proprietary software is on Windows, and even the open source software I love is on Windows... I still love Linux, especially Ubuntu and openSUSE, but Windows 8 is definitely a solid OS, and could sway me. At the very least it will be on a VM (as it is now).

Edit - Just thought I'd also mention, Windows 8 is the fastest/most stable Windows I've used, the least bloated, and the most Unix-like. It honestly reminds me more of Linux than it does of XP, Vista, or 7. And it's great with trackpads and keyboards - the keyboard shortcuts are very good.
    Last edited by Mikeb85; June 17th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Beans

I installed it onto a USB drive on my old laptop (1.4Ghz Celeron, 1Gb RAM, i855GM Graphics, you get the idea) and it is running surprisingly well. Intel has not provided drivers for that graphics card since Windows XP, so software rendering is being used for Windows Aero. (Consequently, watching fullscreen videos is impossible)
    ...I generally like the new interface although it feels kind of awkward on an old touchpad. IMO, hooking a USB mouse makes it a lot easier to use.
    ...It is worth noting that if you simply can't stand the thought of using Windows without the Start Menu, Vistart works almost exactly the same as the Windows 7 Start Menu.
    Last edited by catlover2; June 17th, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I would definitely try it to see what's with all the hate. But I won't dig out XP (of course, nobody would)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No.. The Metro UI is awful.. Its made for touch screens.

Besides.. I vowed to never install windows again as a new years resolution

Beans

I'd use it if i absolutely had to (say, at work), but not through choice.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've just bought a new PC that came without an operating system. Most of my upgrades to Windows have come through buying a new PC or laptop but not this time. I have no intention of buying Windows 8 whether it comes pre-installed on a PC or as an upgrade.

I'll continue to use Windows 7 which is installed on my laptop for the odd occasion when I need to use a Windows operating system.

In any case, according to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ucts/lifecycle I can avoid upgrading Windows for a few years yet.

Beans

For people scared to boot Microsoft sales try the beta and do it fast because it be out by the end of the year.

I would definitely try it to see what's with all the hate. But I won't dig out XP (of course, nobody would)
    Most if it seems to be the GUI.

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes. Definitely!

I don't just turn my back to everything!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast