Thread: Gazelle wouldn't power on for a few days... but now it's working

Beans

Gazelle wouldn't power on for a few days... but now it's working

I had a weird problem for a few days, my Gazelle would not power on. I pressed the power button, it flickered blue for a second, the little green light on the front of the machine flickered on for the same amount of time, but the machine wouldn't start up. no BIOS menu, no power to the screen, nothing. Battery was at 100%. Had the same results plugged in or not, batter in or out.

I tried it again today, after not having touched the thing for 2 or 3 days, and it booted up normally.

Any ideas of what could be going on? I know that's not a lot of information to go on, but if anyone else has had a similar problem, please let me know....

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Gazelle wouldn't power on for a few days... but now it's working

Prior to your last successful shutdown had you installed a new kernel or updated your system in any way? The fact that your bios screen didn't show up is a little troubling.

On your unsuccessful boots did you leave the computer sitting for a few minutes before force shutting down?

Beans

Hi, thanks for the reply. The fact that the BIOS screen didn't show up leads me to believe it's a hardware related issue, as that should be independent of the operating system, unless I'm mistaken. But no, I hadn't updated recently.

I never forced a shutdown because the power was never on, the light just flickered on for a second and went out, no fan or power to the screen or anything. I did wait a while between attempts though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wakajawaqa View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. The fact that the BIOS screen didn't show up leads me to believe it's a hardware related issue, as that should be independent of the operating system, unless I'm mistaken. But no, I hadn't updated recently.

I never forced a shutdown because the power was never on, the light just flickered on for a second and went out, no fan or power to the screen or anything. I did wait a while between attempts though.
    I would keep an eye on it. If the problem recurs, note what you were doing on the last time the system was running, then file a support ticket on our website.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

@wakajawaqa Even in the case of a hard drive failure you should get a bios screen before it tries to boot. Likewise it's likely not an OS issue.

As for the bios I haven't played around with them enough to diagnose a suggestion as to the cause.

Beans

The break in communication was my computer being broken for a few more days.... this time it would turn on, but the keyboard wouldn't work. even from the BIOS screen... i.e. F2 didn't take me to setup...

Guess I need to fill out that support ticket....