Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the advantages of using ubuntu one?

Beans

Re: What are the advantages of using ubuntu one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    • Ubuntu one allows your folders to be synchronized from where they are (~/Documents instead of ~/Dropbox/Documents, etc.). Either Sugar Synch or Wuala are the only other services that do that, and that is Windows-only.
    • Ubunut One includes Windows client (and Windows XP too). This client synchronizes the actual ~/Document folders in Windows (instead of ~/Dropbox/Documents) like Ubuntu
    • Dropbox is $20/month or $200/year for 100GB while Ubuntu One is $3/month or $30/year for 20 GB or 5x$3=$15/month and 5x$30=$150 per year for 100GB.
    • SkyDrive, Google Drive and Amazon's Cloud Drive do not include Linux clients.
    • Ubuntu One automatically receives music purchased from the Ubuntu One Music Store (not that many use it)
    • Ubunut One has optional music streaming with Android/iOS clients.
    • Supposedly pictures taken by a smartphone with Ubuntu One can have pictures automatically synchronized with Ubuntu One, but I cannot confirm that at this point.
    • Files synchronized can be easily pulled down after upgrading or clean-installing a new or over an existing Ubuntu installation.

That's all I can think of right now.

If cheap 100GB is required, Microsoft's SkyDrive is the cheapest ($.50/GB/year, or $50/year for 100GB). Plus if you have a Hotmail/Live account before April you can get 25 GB for free, otherwise you start with 7GB which is more than the others.
    I've decided to go with Google Drive simply because it is so much cheaper and the only negative is the lack of an official linux client. Google has said a linux client is on the way.

That said, there is the open source Grive client for Google Drive. Its has fully working 2-way sync but is missing the ability to watch a folder for changes. However, I'm fixing that today and will hopefully contribute it back soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    • Ubunut One includes Windows client (and Windows XP too). This client synchronizes the actual ~/Document folders in Windows (instead of ~/Dropbox/Documents) like Ubuntu
    this is actually not really an advantage
    unless they fixed it it can synchronize ONLY ~/documents folder in Windows. i have nothing of any importance in that folder (in fact it's almost empty) so it was useless to me. i use separate disk and partition for data.

I do use ubuntu one for some file sharing (like video and such). in my place it is quite fast. so it is partially usefull.

the important data (not large amount but important) i used Spider Oak since it can synchronise any folder on any disk. it also encrypts the data. the downside is that it is much slower than UbuntuOne. if only one could get the best of both worlds....
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

if free services are compared and somebody wants to support ubuntu , than u1 is nice and fast than others , i have compared google drive and ubuntu one by uploading a 10mb file thrice on each and everytime u1 completed first.
    Last edited by techvish81; June 20th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
    core i3, 4gb ram, OCZ agility 3 ssd ,ati radeon -- ubuntu 13.04
    acer aspire 4752 -, ubuntu 12.10

Faith is miraculous if it is accompanied by dedicated efforts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by techvish81 View Post
    if free services are compared and somebody wants to support ubuntu , than u1 is nice and fast than others , i have compared google drive and ubuntu one by uploading a 10mb file thrice on each and everytime u1 completed first.
    That is interesting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Google Drive >>> https://www.google.com/settings/storage/
    Ubuntu One >>> https://one.ubuntu.com/services/

I want to support Ubuntu One, but with its as far as you go model, it's very expensive. At 100GB, Google Drive will cost $60/year, Ubuntu One will cost $160/year. Even at 200 GB, Google Drive will only cost $120/year, compared to Ubuntu One which will cost $310/year, and so on. That's just crazy!

I don't think those extra bucks will worth advantages over Google Drive. In fact, it's pretty close by features. However, I want to support Ubuntu more because it's integrated better on Ubuntu.

I don't have to tell what I will choose at this rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When (if..) Google supports Google Drive for Linux, I think this is going to gain a lot of Linux users. I look forward to it, because Google Drive is the closest thing to SkyDrive which works great on my Windows system but obviously isn't "true" cross-platform (they say Windows & Mac and call that cross platform?!)

I hope Google's Linux client isn't just a WINE-enabled hack of the Windows client.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12