Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The complete mess that is called Abiword

Beans

Re: The complete mess that is called Abiword

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin spratt View Post
    Abiword is not dead in any way the stable version is still outstanding. Its a Ubuntu problem releasing alpha software happens all the time.
    +1!

I probably could've stopped it but I goofed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have replaced abiword in my lubuntu 12.04 pentium III by libreoffice-writer, you don't need to install the entire suite but only the software you need. I did it through lubuntu software center.

Libreoffice-writer renders much better than abiword released in 12.04. It doesn't take as much CPU as current abiword.

I hope the problem will be fixed soon in the new 12.04.01 release since I prefer a ligther writer software for such an old pc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    I have replaced abiword in my lubuntu 12.04 pentium III by libreoffice-writer, you don't need to install the entire suite but only the software you need. I did it through lubuntu software center.

Libreoffice-writer renders much better than abiword released in 12.04. It doesn't take as much CPU as current abiword.

I hope the problem will be fixed soon in the new 12.04.01 release since I prefer a ligther writer software for such an old pc.
    Sadly I've not yet found a way to easily read existing .abw files in Libreoffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: The complete mess that is called Abiword

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've come up with a temporary work-around, but you must know that this installs Oneiric packages that will NOT be updated w/o physical action by the user! The user also must follow through with changing the repos back to Precise after completing the conversion to Oneiric's version of Abiword, otherwise you'll fail to get appropriate updates to Precise - even security updates! My hope is that someone will get a PPA completed for Precise soon but if you're a brave soul or a tester here's what I came up with, just remember I'm only another end user, I can't be responsible for breakage! ......
    Thanks for taking the time out to get a work around. At least the actual bug is now being actioned and will hopefully be resolved soon. I'll pop a link up onto the Lubuntu Workarounds until such time the bug is resolved.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Lionel Le Folgoc has now added abiword 2.8.6 to one of his PPA's:

https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit/+arch...filter=precise

It appears to work OK for me but more testing is needed. I wrote these commands to take into consideration that someone may have already tried my work-around.

First release the "hold" on the abiword packages if there is one:

Code:
    for p in abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview libabiword-2.8 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgoffice-0.8-8 libgoffice-0.8-8-common libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkmathview0c2a libjpeg62 liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libots0 libwv-1.2-3 link-grammar-dictionaries-en ttf-lyx ; do echo $p install | sudo dpkg --set-selections; done
    Then update & upgrade:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    And check for package irregularities (follow the recommendations provided in the terminal):

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    Now install Lionel's PPA:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mrpouit/ppa
    Then update the repos:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    And this should install or update the required 'abiword' packages:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install abiword
    Then check for any package irregularities again (follow the recommendations provided in the terminal):

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install

Should you wish to disable that PPA and revert the change run these commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:mrpouit/ppa

Note: I have subscribed to this thread so please just reply here if you encounter any problems.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; July 16th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thankyou Kansasnoob, I will try.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Successfully installed Lionel Le Folgoc's Abiword 2.8.6 from his mrpouit PPA on a Bodhi 2.0.1 (Ubuntu 12.04 based) installation.

Works fine after briefly testing it.

Somewhat surprised by the lack of feedback on this solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Kansasnoob for that splendid easy-to-follow process. I've downgraded on all our family machines now and have a happier wife who can now scroll !!

Thanks to all who contributed to the knowledge.

Beans

Dmitry Smirnov is implementing a lot of Abiword bug fixes into 12.10:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2027325&page=2

Hopefully I'll be able to convince the devs to include the Quantal version in either Precise proposed or at least backports soon.

Please don't even think about upgrading Precise to Quantal though!

A lot of things are broken in Quantal ATM and I still like the idea of Precise being supported until April 2017

Beans

Before finding this thread (and mrpouit PPA) I tried to remove 2.9.2 abiword and manually compile and install the 2.8.6 from the original sourcecode from the abiword webpage.

The compile however fails

Code:
    libtool: link: rm -fr .libs/libabiword-2.8.lax .libs/libabiword-2.8.lax
    libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "libabiword-2.8.la" && ln -s "../libabiword-2.8.la" "libabiword-2.8.la" )
    ../doltlibtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++  -g -O2  --no-undefined -avoid-version -export-dynamic  -o abiword abiword-UnixMain.o libabiword-2.8.la  -pthread -lfribidi -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lwv -lwmf -lwmflite -lX11 -lexpat -ljpeg -lpng -lgsf-1 -lxml2 -lz -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lrsvg-2 -lm -lgio-2.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0   -ljpeg 
    libtool: link: g++ -g -O2 --no-undefined -o .libs/abiword abiword-UnixMain.o -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic  ./.libs/libabiword-2.8.so /usr/lib/libfribidi.so -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lwv -lwmf -lwmflite -lX11 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libexpat.so -lpng -lgsf-1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxml2.so -lz -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so -lfontconfig -lrsvg-2 -lm -lgio-2.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcairo.so -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -ljpeg -pthread
    g++: error: unrecognized option '--no-undefined'

First I removed only abiword and the obvious deps manually via synaptic, now I also tried what was posted in this thread (that also removes/breaks Gnumeric in the process), but I got the same compile error.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview libabiword-2.9 libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkmathview0c2a liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libots0 libtidy-0.99-0 libwv-1.2-4 link-grammar-dictionaries-en ttf-lyx -y
    I'm using this to Install the compile prereqs (for me on a fresh Xubuntu 12.04 the below was enough, ymmv)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libfribidi-dev libglib2.0-dev libgsf-1-dev libwv-dev librsvg2-dev
    I guess now I'll go try the PPA and then try to repair the broken Gnumeric as well.

Update: Installing Abiword after adding the PPA leaves me with a working 2.8.6 version, at least in short testing. Also, Gnumeric just needed to be reinstalled to get working again.
    Last edited by stedevil; September 25th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast